Can't see workgroup/domain

a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 1:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi,

I have 2 networks with similiar problems.

I have an NT server domain that I cannot access via a laptop. The error
I get is:

RCODE_NAME_ERROR - dns name does not exist.

I have enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on all machines, and I can open all
of the shared drives
in the domain via the "run \\192.168......" command. I had a network
monitor on the net and could
not see any traffic when the laptop tried to join the domain. Why can't I
log in as a domain user ?
-------------------------

The 2nd problem is with 3 XP machines in a workgroup. The 2 desktops, always
on, cannot
access the laptop which is intermittantly on the net. The laptop can access
network drives
and printers only through the : "run \\192.168..." command. All shared
drives and printers
are accessible but I get the error: ....you have no permission.....no
servers available.

I think the problems are Name Server related, but I'm at a loss at this
point.

Thanks for any input,

Bill

More about : workgroup domain

July 29, 2005 12:54:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I could be wrong here, but without a WINS server in an NT domain, enabling
netBIOS over TCP\IP wont do any good unless your using an updated LMHOSTS
file for NetBIOS name resolution.

As far as your second problem, your laptops firewall may be blocking the
desktops from a connection. So set up a "trusted" network for the local
pc's.

"Bill Lampman" <bill@bogus.net> wrote in message
news:o lqU9HxkFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 networks with similiar problems.
>
> I have an NT server domain that I cannot access via a laptop. The
error
> I get is:
>
> RCODE_NAME_ERROR - dns name does not exist.
>
> I have enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on all machines, and I can open all
> of the shared drives
> in the domain via the "run \\192.168......" command. I had a network
> monitor on the net and could
> not see any traffic when the laptop tried to join the domain. Why can't I
> log in as a domain user ?
> -------------------------
>
> The 2nd problem is with 3 XP machines in a workgroup. The 2 desktops,
always
> on, cannot
> access the laptop which is intermittantly on the net. The laptop can
access
> network drives
> and printers only through the : "run \\192.168..." command. All shared
> drives and printers
> are accessible but I get the error: ....you have no permission.....no
> servers available.
>

> I think the problems are Name Server related, but I'm at a loss at
this
> point.
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Bill

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2005 2:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Assuming its a routed tcp/ip environment of course. ;-)

!