Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will I benifit from a sound card

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2010 5:42:03 AM

hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on weather or not It would be worth my time and $$ to upgrade to a aftermarket soundcard.

Right now I'm just using my mobo sound (p7p55D-E LX) and have noticed when it was built that the sound was noticeably worse than my on board sound from my previous build which is 5 years old. I'd be using my computer for games/music/tv stream primarily on headphones (sennheiser 151s) Not the most high end headphones I know, but good quality sound from what I am reading. I'll also soon upgrade my current speakers to a good quality 2.1 system, i'd go 5.1 but my apartment is too small.

What bothers me the most about my current mobo sound is the tinny/twangy sound i'm getting. The headphones will be a Christmas gift from the wife so the 151s are not set in stone, It seems that every headset I read about has lots of good reviews and lots of bad reviews making it difficult to decide. Bottom line is I have $100 canadian to play with.

1. Would I notice a significant or decent improvement if I upgraded to an aftermarket sound card with current headphones and a new 2.1 spkr set?

2. If I use my pci-e 1x slot would my gpu pci-e slot at 16x drop down to 8x?

Thanks for whatever suggestions and opinion you give, I will take it all into consideration.

More about : benifit sound card

December 9, 2010 6:10:46 AM

zubba said:
hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on weather or not It would be worth my time and $$ to upgrade to a aftermarket soundcard.

Right now I'm just using my mobo sound (p7p55D-E LX) and have noticed when it was built that the sound was noticeably worse than my on board sound from my previous build which is 5 years old. I'd be using my computer for games/music/tv stream primarily on headphones (sennheiser 151s) Not the most high end headphones I know, but good quality sound from what I am reading. I'll also soon upgrade my current speakers to a good quality 2.1 system, i'd go 5.1 but my apartment is too small.

What bothers me the most about my current mobo sound is the tinny/twangy sound i'm getting. The headphones will be a Christmas gift from the wife so the 151s are not set in stone, It seems that every headset I read about has lots of good reviews and lots of bad reviews making it difficult to decide. Bottom line is I have $100 canadian to play with.

1. Would I notice a significant or decent improvement if I upgraded to an aftermarket sound card with current headphones and a new 2.1 spkr set?

2. If I use my pci-e 1x slot would my gpu pci-e slot at 16x drop down to 8x?

Thanks for whatever suggestions and opinion you give, I will take it all into consideration.

my opinion is you only need one if you plan on having a nice sound system with your computer or to set up a surround sound system. in other words you would be wasting money because you can just get a logitech speakers and plug it into earphone jack and have good sound any way.
Score
December 9, 2010 6:19:11 AM

I don't understand how better speakers or headphones is going to fix the issue of my crappy onboard sound. won't better headphones/speakers just highlight how crappy mound onboard sound processor is?
Score
Related resources
December 9, 2010 1:00:40 PM

I said in my original post that the onboard sound on my other pc ( 5 years older) was much much better and not so tinny sounding. Same crappy speakers and headphones
Score
December 9, 2010 5:57:28 PM

Sound cards still do matter. Not as much nowadays, but they still offer much superior sound processing. Just remember that anything USB will not use a dedicated soundcard.

And no, if you use a PCI-E 1x slot, you won't bottleneck the other slots.
Score
December 9, 2010 6:05:29 PM

i think todays onboard sound are good, u dont need a Soundcard at least for what u need, but if u will go Profesional Audio/Video Editing maybe just maybe buy one
Score
December 9, 2010 7:29:54 PM

Best answer selected by zubba.
Score
December 9, 2010 7:34:03 PM

Quote:
Did you install the latest sound driver?I hope you didnot tweak any sound setting eg.bass

This actually helped improve the sound a little bit! I'm suprised, I thought the windows drivers update would take care of updating this on original setup.

Thank you gamerk316 for answering my pci-e question. I was going to ask some questions about the headphones I was thinking of (sennheiser pc151) but I think i'll post in appropriate forum, I think I'm going to save money and pass on the sound card.

Thanks guys for the help.
Score
December 9, 2010 7:44:39 PM

Windows driver updates have always been on the fail side of quality and on the win side of stability.

Although if you're a person who actually cares about what sh t on your computer sounds like in its full glory, I would highly recommend a sound card.

If you're like me and think that Soundblaster 16 was good enough, then it's probably not worth upgrading sound card.

Also, the last 2 onboard sound chipsets I've had were problematic at best, I am considering getting a soundcard just so I can have better control over the situation.

So in conclusion, unless you a def, it it always at least slightly better to have a dedicated sound card.
Score
May 1, 2011 2:42:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!