Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Time to upgrade - is 24gb worth it?

Last response: in Memory
August 6, 2011 12:18:43 AM

Hello all,
So I spilled chocolate milk on my keyboard today and killed it, then went shopping on Newegg for a replacement. I noticed while I was shopping that RAM is about a third of the price that it was last year when I bought my G.Skill 6GB DDR3 RAM. Now I can upgrade to the Ripjaws line with 8GB ($60), 12GB ($100), or 24GB ($170). Those are all very affordable for me and can fit into my motherboard, but the question is, would the 24GB set even be worth it? Would I notice any difference between that and the 12GB set? I don't do any video editing or anything, I'm just a computer gamer that plans on playing all the great games coming out this year (Crysis 2, RAGE, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc). I also have a huge TV/Movie and music collection on my computer that I watch/listen to. What are your thoughts?

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 6, 2011 12:47:45 AM

I am guessing you are running a 64-bit OS, 12GB memory is more then enough after that you will only see a difference if you would do massive amounts of rendering.
August 6, 2011 12:49:49 AM

Emerald said:
I am guessing you are running a 64-bit OS, 12GB memory is more then enough after that you will only see a difference if you would do massive amounts of rendering.

Yes I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit...although I've never seen any reason to have a 64-bit OS, it just tells me I have compatibility issues with old games. That's the only difference I see.
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 6, 2011 1:00:48 AM

the main difference is that good old 32-bit OS only can use up to 3GB of memory
a b } Memory
August 6, 2011 1:28:47 AM

You can upgrade if you want to, but you won't see much improvement over the 6GB you already have. With 12GB your minimum frame rates might go a little higher, but your average and maximum frame rates likely won't improve.
a b } Memory
August 6, 2011 4:49:18 AM

in most cases 12GB of memory will keep the computer from using the swap file; therefore, speeding up the computer.

this helps especially when using SSD drives
August 13, 2011 12:06:18 AM

Emerald said:
in most cases 12GB of memory will keep the computer from using the swap file; therefore, speeding up the computer.

this helps especially when using SSD drives

you're saying that 12GB will speed up the computer or stop it from speeding up?
a b } Memory
August 13, 2011 1:28:47 AM

I am saying that it might speed up your computer since the computer has enough memory to NOT use the swap file on the hard drive
August 13, 2011 4:49:29 AM

Best answer selected by freyjaschosen.
!