Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Reformat method

Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2012 10:53:23 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if I reformat an SSD using the Windows 8 installation disc with the following:

- Clean disk (remove all partitions and mark as unallocated)
- Format (NTFS and set a label to anything I need, using the quick switch)

..that it will provide me the full performance back of my SSD?

For example, I've heard that its better to format the SSD with all zeros with a disk eraser like Acronis Disk director or Eraser; and that would free up the "used" data cells that still have files not marked by the MFT anymore after quick format.

Does a quick format from Windows ruin the performance gain I would get vs. using a disk wiping program and zeroing out my whole SSD? Or could I just use a TRIM-sending program to do the same with those cells full of data?

I just wanted to make sure so that I know im getting the full speed out of the SSD.

More about : ssd reformat method

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
a c 533 G Storage
December 26, 2012 11:08:56 PM

The only way to restore a SSD to fresh-out-of-the-box condition is to Secure Erase it.
Most SSD manufacturers have a utility which will allow you to Secure Erase the drive.

Formatting a SSD only deletes the data on the drive.
You should only Quick format a SSD. Full formatting a SSD just adds unnecessary writes to the drive.

December 27, 2012 12:33:44 AM

Best answer selected by dissemble2discover.
m
l
December 27, 2012 12:34:51 AM

Dereck47 said:
The only way to restore a SSD to fresh-out-of-the-box condition is to Secure Erase it.
Most SSD manufacturers have a utility which will allow you to Secure Erase the drive.

Formatting a SSD only deletes the data on the drive.
You should only Quick format a SSD. Full formatting a SSD just adds unnecessary writes to the drive.

Doh, I completely forgot that my manufacturer provided a secure erase utiliy with the Samsung Magician tool that secure erased my ssd. I don't know how I missed that but thank you for bringing it to my attention again!

It's these little things I don't seem to remember at times...
m
l
!