BSOD when booting After transfering SATA HD to new motherboard

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2012 11:44:09 PM

So i had my old pc with its 2TB SATA Hard Drive, and i decided to change the pc's motherboard.
After successfully installing all components, i start the pc.
The sabertooth z77 gives you a red led warning on parts that arent working correctly, and the red leds dont turn off until the corresponding part is fixed. the led next to the Sata connectors is on. in the bios, i see that it recognises the HD, and it is set to AHCI mode, but when i choose to boot from it, it reaches the windows loading screen and midway it freezes for a second, flashes a bluescreen, and resets. Help me please :( 
the build: (only thing changed from old one is mobo)
i7 2600
cm hyper 212evo
16gb ddr3 ram
ngtx 550 ti
asus sabertooth z77
and of course the marvellous sata 2tb 3g 7200rpm
thanks in advance^^

More about : bsod booting transfering sata motherboard

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 26, 2012 11:58:07 PM

Hi :) 

Unless the previous motherboard was identical, you will have to reinstall Windows...

All the best Brett :) 
December 27, 2012 9:04:24 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Unless the previous motherboard was identical, you will have to reinstall Windows...

All the best Brett :) 

no other way around it? :( 
if i buy an SSD and install windows on it will i be able to access all my old files?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 9:27:55 AM

yes.... if the new os in new drive, u can...

edit:
but some apps/programs will also need to be reinstalled..

as Brett928S2 said... it required reinstall windows...
December 27, 2012 10:23:48 AM

i installed windows 7 on an old windows 8 partition i dont want anymore. i guess ill be able to boot to that windows 7 partition on the sata drive?
December 27, 2012 11:13:05 AM

If you have win7 on another drive all your files will be accessible.

I ran into this problem recently after discovering my MB was faulty. I replaced it with a MB from another computer I had just built. The original was Intel and the second was AMD. When I loaded windows it BSOD'd just as yours did, however when i restarted it it brought up the option to do a Startup Repair...so i did. It removed the Intel drivers and allowed me to boot into windows and then install my AMD drivers. You can access the menu by hitting F8 i think right before windows loads.

I thought it may have been a fluke, so i hooked up the original MB(Intel) to the other chassis which had the SSD that was originally attacahed to the AMD MB and did the startup repair without the BSOD and it also worked.

Give it a try. Might work for you too.

December 27, 2012 8:10:50 PM

panikattak said:
If you have win7 on another drive all your files will be accessible.

I ran into this problem recently after discovering my MB was faulty. I replaced it with a MB from another computer I had just built. The original was Intel and the second was AMD. When I loaded windows it BSOD'd just as yours did, however when i restarted it it brought up the option to do a Startup Repair...so i did. It removed the Intel drivers and allowed me to boot into windows and then install my AMD drivers. You can access the menu by hitting F8 i think right before windows loads.

I thought it may have been a fluke, so i hooked up the original MB(Intel) to the other chassis which had the SSD that was originally attacahed to the AMD MB and did the startup repair without the BSOD and it also worked.

Give it a try. Might work for you too.

Startup repair... ill give it a try.
Does it modify what you have on your computer apart from the old drivers?
I want to find a way to use it as my old computer, with everything where it was and all that :) 
thanks again
December 27, 2012 8:53:09 PM

Startup repair will only fix it to get it into windows. It will not delete anything else besides essential files and drivers from what i have experience.

Good luck.
December 27, 2012 9:18:30 PM

panikattak said:
Startup repair will only fix it to get it into windows. It will not delete anything else besides essential files and drivers from what i have experience.

Good luck.

thank you.
i hope i dont loose anything important :s
!