Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Raid 1 Newb seeks build advice

Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2012 11:52:44 PM

Hello forum ...

I am getting ready to build a new home media PC (mostly music) and wanted to set up a 2 SSD Raid 1 array for redundancy (not to avoid backing up ... which will still be done periodically). Prior to this post I have scoured the forums to get advice but am still bewildered as to the best approach, specifically: I would like to mirror the boot drive which would (hopefully) also contain the data.

Since this is a new build, I have the luxury of selecting the OS which could be either Win XP Pro 64 -or- Win 7 Pro 64. (I have very little experience with Win 7 but think it might be better to move on from XP and it might possibly assist with a Raid 1 implementation.)

Since I build client machines at my small office I have a few new Mobo's to choose from: I have available an ASUS P8H77-V HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard -AND- an MSI Z77A-G41 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard in stock.

As for SSD's, I have available a PAIR of EACH of: Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III SSD's -AND- Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC SSD's to choose from.

About the only limitation is that I don't want to invest mucho hundreds of extra $$$ in an expensive Raid controller card unless absolutely necessary (this is not a server build).

Given the above, should I set this up as a Hardware (Mobo Bios) or Software (Windows volume) Raid? Is there a way to set this up such that in the event 1 SSD failed, the remaining SSD would also boot and allow me to replace the failed drive? Must I have a separate small boot SSD (C drive) and have the larger SSD's in the mirrored array?

Any other specific suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I've read the Raid FAQ & the links therein, but I still don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any help!
YJ76
January 5, 2013 10:41:40 PM

Gee 68 views & not a single reply ???

At lease someone point me to Hardware vs. Software RAID implementation ... so that if 1 drive fails the other one will still boot & have the data accessible.

Thanks,
YJ76

YellowJacket76 said:
Hello forum ...

I am getting ready to build a new home media PC (mostly music) and wanted to set up a 2 SSD Raid 1 array for redundancy (not to avoid backing up ... which will still be done periodically). Prior to this post I have scoured the forums to get advice but am still bewildered as to the best approach, specifically: I would like to mirror the boot drive which would (hopefully) also contain the data.

Since this is a new build, I have the luxury of selecting the OS which could be either Win XP Pro 64 -or- Win 7 Pro 64. (I have very little experience with Win 7 but think it might be better to move on from XP and it might possibly assist with a Raid 1 implementation.)

Since I build client machines at my small office I have a few new Mobo's to choose from: I have available an ASUS P8H77-V HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard -AND- an MSI Z77A-G41 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Motherboard in stock.

As for SSD's, I have available a PAIR of EACH of: Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III SSD's -AND- Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC SSD's to choose from.

About the only limitation is that I don't want to invest mucho hundreds of extra $$$ in an expensive Raid controller card unless absolutely necessary (this is not a server build).

Given the above, should I set this up as a Hardware (Mobo Bios) or Software (Windows volume) Raid? Is there a way to set this up such that in the event 1 SSD failed, the remaining SSD would also boot and allow me to replace the failed drive? Must I have a separate small boot SSD (C drive) and have the larger SSD's in the mirrored array?

Any other specific suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I've read the Raid FAQ & the links therein, but I still don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any help!
YJ76

April 29, 2013 10:52:53 PM

I am also looking for a raid card or info on software vs dedicated card, I'm adding six 2tb hdds so I'm thinking of raid 5 but still can't get any recommendations for a card, I'm willing to pay around $400-500 for one but my main reason is to a avoid backing up, with raid 5 if one hdd fails you can simply replace it and the remaining hdds will rebuild the dead hdd's data without the need for back up or unecessary Tb usage.
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 30, 2013 3:19:09 PM

This Forum is the BEST help there is :-)

I will try to give it a shot!

1- RAID from MOBO is NOT a hardware RAID
2- Your approach is good! Go and build it, you may stumble here and there but you will learn lot more from it
3- For Home Media - mostly Audio, ,meaning you don't need a whole lots of speed and storage so for data you can just use a 7200rpm HDD

Here is what I would do if this is my project.
1x SSD as OS and 1x 3TB or 4TB for data
Create a OS disk Image and rescue CD, save it in to SUB3.0 drive
Use the same USB3.0 HDD and run schedule back up

a b G Storage
April 30, 2013 3:29:02 PM

MorganX said:
I am also looking for a raid card or info on software vs dedicated card, I'm adding six 2tb hdds so I'm thinking of raid 5 but still can't get any recommendations for a card, I'm willing to pay around $400-500 for one but my main reason is to a avoid backing up, with raid 5 if one hdd fails you can simply replace it and the remaining hdds will rebuild the dead hdd's data without the need for back up or unecessary Tb usage.

RAID is never able to replace back up, RAID1/3/5/6/10 ONLY help in hardware failure.
Instead of using RAID5 in 6x 2TB = 10TB usable
Cost $558.00 @ $93.00/ea
Where RAID5 in 5x 3TB = 12TB usable
Cost $585.00 @ $117.00/ea

Which you can use with less than 100.00 hardware RAID controller
http://www.amazon.com/multiplier-hardware-RAID0-CLONE-C...
It will work on ANY OS you throw at it: Linux, MAC, Windows, WHS, FreeNAS, Openfiler, SMB, OpeniSCSI....

I use so many of this for my clients
!