Solved

My first time built computer. please help

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2010 8:41:14 PM

hi toms hardware.

i was browsing this site and leaving a thread for the first time.

i just bought the parts for my new computer

and since this is my first time building, i just wanna make it sure that i bought all compatible parts.

and if im missing any parts

AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor (Model: ADX245OCGQBOX)
ASUS AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard (Model: M4A785-M)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (Model: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)
Western Digital Caviar Green 800GB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: WD8000AARS)
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+/-R 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer w/ LightScribe Support (Model: iHAS424-98)
Rosewill Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with 1x 80mm Fan (Model: FB-02)
Rosewill 600W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply (Model: RV2-600)
ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

i think they are compatible...

even though i bought for 4g of ram, i only own windows xp, i know xp cant read 4gb of ram but would there be any problem?

also if you guys can advice me or send me a link what i need to be careful when i put them together, such as dont work on carpet and stuff. thank you~

More about : time built computer

September 16, 2010 8:45:06 PM

o ya, my main concern on this computer was to run starcraft wol. and cost me 440. so i will let you guys know how it worked if these are all the parts i need.

should be one of the most cost efficient build
m
l
September 16, 2010 8:58:07 PM

i also found the step by step building guide from other post.

just need to find out if they are all compatible and if im missing any parts :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 16, 2010 9:04:33 PM

Yeah, it's pretty good but you might want an extra fan or two for that case.

Now, for building it, here's some advice-

You should breaboard. Take the cardboard box of the motherboard and put together your components carefully. That way, you can test them without having to keep going in and out of the case and possibly damaging them.

Next, you should make sure that you use standoffs inside the case. They are little screws, usually bronze, that keep the motherboard off of the metal of the case. If you don't use them, the case will conduct the electricity from the other side of the motherboard and fry it when you turn it on quite possibly damaging other parts too.

Don't force the CPU into the socket. Just put it on the socket, and it'll fall in. Make sure you lock it into place, lol.

And then the obvious stuff, don't bend anything, don't shake stuff too hard, try not to drop anything, etc.

It's also good to have another computer on hand and nearby (obviously you do since you posted this) just in case you need to search for help, etc.

Just be careful all around and everything should be fine.

Your build has pretty good value, btw.
September 16, 2010 9:57:21 PM

thank you. that confirmation released my anxiety very much.

and what a nice explaination.. thanks millions
m
l
September 17, 2010 4:24:13 PM

Best answer selected by onlysony.
m
l
September 18, 2010 11:44:52 AM

Welcome, haha.
m
l
!