spike69

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
i need every bit of advice on this........................ :pfff:

i am having a PC with a 4mbps connection. What i want to do is that, i need to share this internet connection with my laptop(basically for home use only). I found out that either i can make use of Microsoft ICS or make use of an external router for this sharing purpose. For the ICS, i came to know that one has to just have a crossover Ethernet cable or so. But came to know this ICS way of sharing is not that reliable (not sure whether this stmnt is correct).. So when this was the case a wired router was the best that i could think of.I dont know much in this area so I would like to know what are the options that i have... If it is the router way, i am ready to spend for a router but not that much since money is a constraint for me... So which router shud i go for?? Or what are the options that i have??
What other details should i look into before any of this??? (OS, hardware, etc... etc...or whatever)
It would be really helpful if anyone could help me out...... :D :D

didmac0

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hi Friends,

I have not more information about router,but I know something about router to tell you. You should be buy a Wireless router and the appropriate number of wireless adaptors for the PCs. A wireless router can handle 36+ devices so your 4 should be no problem. As to set up, you'll get an installation disc with the router which will explain all. Cost, you say leased line so I assume it is BT or similar, not cable, so you will need an ADSL router. Mimo are best as they give you better coverage, £35.00 or thereabouts. The adaptors will be approx £18.00.

You can go for a cheaper router, 54Mbps, £18.00 + and adaptors approx. £13.00 each, however it will not give you as good coverage

didmac...

Internet Marketing Solutions