Sign in with
Your question

Need Advise and Solution / Clarification

Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2010 8:59:09 PM

Hey Guys,

How have you all been? I know i know i come over very rare and only talk to you all at the time when i need something from you ;)  but i am happy to know that there is someone who is out there making sure that i get my answers ... it is very relaxing you know :)  So Thank You All for helping so many people and me too :) 

Now to the subject i need to know what to do ...

i have a system which is 4 years old and is badly handled (i format, reformat, open it up, reassemble, so all sorts of nasty stuff with my machine) now, after such a sturdy lifespan, it seems she is givin up. the config is at the bottom of this post so please go through the same and let me know where can i go from here?

Errors which i am facing

- in BIOS there are red letters in the hardware monitor section,
- - vCore is 1.88
- - 5v is 6.75v
- - 12v is 16v-17v
- - CPU Temperature about 49C
- - Cabinet Temperature about 32C
- - i have 4 memory slots but only 1 seems to be working and as soon as i add another memory stick it just beeps and beeps and beeps (DDR1 Memory)
- - these days everytime i start my comp it tells me that ubuntu is facing some problems and will be running in low memory/graphics mode
- - if i keep it on for 2-3 hours, i have to shut it down to restart the computer. restart command only restarts the comp without the keyboard support
- - very often there are errors regarding file system (i checked the HDD and there are no errors on the HDD)

My Guess
well i think its either a motherboard problem or its a power-supply problem just that i dont know whats the problem and i dont know what to do now so i need your advise on the same as i am totally confused

My Confusion
well to jot down the confusion is very easy,
- i need to know if i should try to revive / refurbish this comp (if so, how and which parts?)
- or i should get rid of all th parts and keep only the chassis and put in all the new parts to get a fresh comp running. (not really looking to invest in this right now)

My Config

Guys, its an old system, so please dont shout at me for keep her around ;) 

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Mobo: A8N-E Rev 2.00
RAM: 4GB DDR1 400 RAM (only 1GB is being used right now because of the problems mentioned above)
HDD: 160GB SATA
Chassis and PSU: iBall Workhorse with 250w power supply
Graphic Card: XFX nVIDIA 7300 GT

i dont even know what and how to try other things to make sure that if its a powersupply which is giving the voltage problem, if its CPU FAN or its the motherboard itself (guess on the motherboard is because not all RAM words for me only 1 stick works and that too in 1 particular slot ONLY)

guys Please Advise how to go about getting this issue sorted? i know buying a new one is going to solve all my problems but you see, i am running a little short on money right now as i have put in my own setup of a creative and design house and i would rather invest in a new comp for my staff then for myself at this point so i am trying to get this thing to work so at least i can give it to an office admin or a secretary to work on rather then getting them a new comp. trying to save every penny.

i am also thinking that i will make this one a gateway and a dataserver for the team. though it has to be reliable for this network to function smoothly but thats exactly why i am here .... but dont concentrate too much on dataserver part right now .... just try to get this thing running for me .... i am just throwing in all my ideas :) 

Thanks a lot guys,
dAtti ...
September 16, 2010 9:06:05 PM

Its about the right age for a cheap PSU to die. Assuming its a standard size, you should be able to pick up a new one really cheap and see if that helps.

I just noticed this:
- - 5v is 6.75v
- - 12v is 16v-17v
thats way out of tolerance and very scary. You could fry internals (and may have already fried some RAM) with voltages that far off. I wouldn't turn it on until you got a new PSU in there!

Its also possible your HDD is going bad.

You should look inside while its running and make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

You are dusting it out every so often, right?
m
l
September 17, 2010 11:42:21 AM

dndhatcher said:
Its about the right age for a cheap PSU to die. Assuming its a standard size, you should be able to pick up a new one really cheap and see if that helps.

I just noticed this:
- - 5v is 6.75v
- - 12v is 16v-17v
thats way out of tolerance and very scary. You could fry internals (and may have already fried some RAM) with voltages that far off. I wouldn't turn it on until you got a new PSU in there!

Its also possible your HDD is going bad.

You should look inside while its running and make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

You are dusting it out every so often, right?

hey dnd, thanks for the quick revert man.
yeah i think i shouldnt turn it on ;)  and did i mention my vCore is 1.88v?

well i completely agree with you that its been more than about time ;)  for this PSU to come to its end, but i am just not sure where to go and what to do. so i am here asking for advice. Now, there are 2-3 things i will like clarification of, (dont take any of the following questions as offensive :)  i am just trying to get a bit of knowledge and understanding of the situation for my future reference)

1. how can you be sure that its the PSU which is completely gone?
- - I mean it still boots my PC (with an error message regarding the Voltage),
- - My CPU Fan runs at 1600 + rpm (this is a stock cooling which came with AMD Athlon 3500+)
- - My Chassis Fan is working
- - My PSU Fan is working
- - My DVD Drive and HDD are both fine (HDD Dying is a different issue i guess, or its related?)

2. when you guys (all the hardware experts) say fried, does it literally mean fried as in burnt or its just that the piece of hardware conks off? i am asking because my other memory modules dont seem as "burnt/fried" :)  [i was just taking the literal meaning till date to be honest :) ]

3. Dustinggggg :)  well i keep my CPU open most of the time so yes i keep blowing it with a dryer to keep it sort of clean ... but thats like 1s a 6months...

4. Is it just the PSU i should pick up or i should pick up a few other things?
(i need to know the damage on my pocket, if you will.)

Sorry for long descriptions and thanks for all your advises man ... its helping me a lot in deciding my next step for my oldie :) 

Cheers
dAtti
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2010 4:35:13 PM

an error message regarding the Voltage said:
an error message regarding the Voltage

You could start a fire and burn the building down! Thats how serious a malfunctioning PSU is.

Fried means literally cooked. It could be only nanometer sized transistors that burned, which you would not be able to see without a microscope.
m
l
September 21, 2010 12:41:47 PM

heheh ... thanks dnd .. but i guess i was a little too late to post the problem and look for advise ... GONE ... :'( 

anyways, now ... is there anything i could do? the comp doesnt start, the CPU Fan and Cabinet Fan keeps rotating but nothing really happens. no booting no nothing. can anything be done at all ??? i mean should i try getting a power supply or just scrap the whole thing?

i would really like to save a bit if possible (i know i know everyone reading this will just shout at me and tell me stupid because if i wanted to save i should have been more creful but guys ,... human mistake ..... i know its my mistake and i am sorry ... but now what? :)  ) if there is a way out, i would like to give it a try if not then ... i dont really have much of a choice do i ? :) 
m
l
September 21, 2010 8:04:10 PM

If you happen to have the same size power supply in another machine, its only a few screws and cables to swap and try. That would be the cheap/fast thing to do.

Make sure you mark the bad one so you dont get confused and put it in another machine.
m
l
!