Need a budget case w/ good cooling that will fit 11'' cards

Solution
I have a 10.5 inch 9800 gtx+ in my Antec 300. There is around half an inch left. You might have to dremel some room out of the HDD rails.

Look at the HAF 912. Its got dust filters, lots of fan slots and can fit even a 12 inch video card.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
30 ppl read this... no replies... little help here? I'm tryin to save $ on the case with this pricey card. it has a nice RAM combo

Maybe another 11'' card? anyone have any relatable setups?

I'm not sure if it will fit in the Antec 300, but it should, though you might have to remove the hard drive cage

However, the Rosewill Challenger will fit anything out there if you remove the middle hard drive cage -- we saw that in the tom's hardware article.

I have a 10.5 inch 9800 gtx+ in my Antec 300. There is around half an inch left. You might have to dremel some room out of the HDD rails.

Look at the HAF 912. Its got dust filters, lots of fan slots and can fit even a 12 inch video card.

Solution

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
If I'm going to be running SLI 470s good airflow is a concern.

The HAF 912 looks pretty good, though it breaks my case+ram combo(sux) - does it have equivalent airflow though? it lacks a top fan like the illusion has. I would really just love it if someone could confirm 11'' cards can fit in that case.

Its not going to fit easy if it does fit; Especially when you try to get the second one in, any angles will be cut off. I think you will need to grind maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch off the HDD rails to make it work. I would recommend the 912 and buy an extra fan or two when you get the second 470. Even in the illusion I would recommend adding the side intake fan to help keep the GPUs cool. 470s run hotter than 5850s or 460s.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

yeah. It is worth noting that the gigabyte super oc 470 i'm lookin at runs cooler than the stock 470's. SLI will still be hot i'm sure.

Any other suggestions for budget cases w/ proper cooling that are roomy enough?

Not many "budget" cases handle 11 inch graphics cards. If you have money for the big GPU, you must have money for a more upscale case. ;)

ScrewySqrl mentioned the Rosewill Challenger if you remove the center HDD cage (the 912 doesnt have a center HDD cage).

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Ok.... Let me rephrase :)

What is the best least expensive case that has good cooling, and is roomy enough to fit 11'' graphics cards in SLI???

*The challenger looks ok. I've really been looking at antecs... lianli i like too. BTW how bout the 902? and that Lian LI K62?

Or anything else for that matter.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Being that this will be my first build I don't know exactly how you can take these apart... In the 300 for instance i can just remove one of the hard drive cages and that should free up the room?

I dont plan on installing any additional HD's. Just the one... MAYBE a SSD down the road.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
How much are you saving with the case+RAM combo? I want to second the HAF 912 recommendation. It will be much more roomy than the 300 Illusion. Don't underestimate how much difference a good case can make. I tried to cheap out on a case when I first built my rig last year, but I only ended up having to upgrade it later because the ariflow was being hampered by cables, a larger cpu cooler wouldn't fit (i only later decided that I wanted to try out overclocking. wuz bored). Having a nice, clean pc with cooling and space to accomodate your high-end build is a must. You won't regret a HAF 912 or HAF 922.

Look at pictures of the 300. It does not have drive cages. Its one solid sheet of metal for all 6 internal drives. You would have to dremel a chunk out (which would work fine).

The 912 was really smartly designed for just your situation of wanting a good inexpensive case that will handle the largest graphics cards.

TRENDING THREADS