Sign in with
Your question

GFX card possibly fried

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2010 10:16:13 AM

Hey all,
This week my computer gave up living, I started it up and it showed me very weird u1, 1u signs on the monitor.
I made a video of starting up and showed it to a buddy of mine (who is some more experienced with pc's) and he told me that instead of a broken graphics card it could also be the motherboard because of the weird u1's on my screen. I've had some weird problems with my video card before so that's what I put my money on

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1aSF10krOA (might want to mute youtube as I forgot to stop my music)

After this video, my pc reboots itself and starts all over and does exactly the same.

Do any of you have any idea what this might be? Thanks a bunch :-)
August 8, 2010 11:10:50 AM

Quote:
Thats seems to me like work of a nasty virus.i cannot read what written in the message.plz post everyword which written in the box.

it says:

not optimum mode
Recommended mode
1680x1050 60Hz

and then a box where yes/no would say (most probably) now says: '?'
August 8, 2010 11:41:51 AM

yes, only problem is, I can't...
My monitor won't react to anything I do, also, I didn't change any settings whatsoever.. and it did this
Related resources
August 8, 2010 11:53:49 AM

Quote:
Then set ur res to the mode it says.if u force ur res above native res of ur monitor u will get such message

hooked my pc on the tv as your comment made me think it might be a monitor thing, but it's the same there, definitly hardware related
August 8, 2010 12:12:41 PM

Have you tried to run the pc without the GPU in the onboard graphics?
a c 177 U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 12:35:14 PM

If this occurs at startup, changing the video drivers will be of no help.
It looks more like a corrupt BIOS problem, so first off, clear the CMOS memory, look in the motherboard manual for how to do this. As a last resort, remove the CMOS battery, but be very careful, with some designs it is possible to damage the motherboard by being heavy handed.
August 8, 2010 1:38:52 PM

coozie7 said:
If this occurs at startup, changing the video drivers will be of no help.
It looks more like a corrupt BIOS problem, so first off, clear the CMOS memory, look in the motherboard manual for how to do this. As a last resort, remove the CMOS battery, but be very careful, with some designs it is possible to damage the motherboard by being heavy handed.

would reinstalling windows equal this method? As i'm abit afraid to touch CMOS
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 1:52:10 PM

If you're careful enough, it wouldn't be much of a hassle to remove the CMOS battery. If you don't want to, there's a few things you can do to either fix the problem or isolate the problem to see what's actually broken.

1. Try re-seating your hardware components to make sure nothing is lose. You can even go to the extreme and remove everything, clean the computer case and all the components then re-seat everything.

2. There might also be some power issues. Can you list the specs of your computer (power supply, graphics card, motherboard, ram, etc.)

3. Try using the graphics card on another system if possible. If the problem shows up, then you can conclude that the graphics card is the problem.

4. What motherboard are you using? Does it have any integrated graphics? If it does, remove the graphics card and try to boot the computer using the integrated graphics. If it works fine with the integrated graphics, the graphics card is the problem or it might have been improperly seated or there is not enough power from the PSU to run the card.
August 8, 2010 6:32:36 PM

alright I've tried something and I have some development
I removed my GFX card from the pc and it started up perfectly, after ~20 sec I heard the pc make noise that windows was starting up, and it didn't reboot automatically once.

this MUST mean that the problem is at the gfx card right?
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 8:13:32 PM

check your card in some other pc...
can be a mother board fault also
August 8, 2010 9:20:56 PM

mjsharma said:
check your card in some other pc...
can be a mother board fault also

Yea tried that already only my gfx card won't fit on my other pc since it has an old motherboard.
I'll ask some buddys of mine before buying anything
August 9, 2010 11:15:58 AM

alright, so today I got my buddys pc over here and I put my graphics card in his pc, guess what happened

exactly the same thing! the same weird 'u' showed up, and it got me no where.

conclusion: a new gfx card will be bought soon, I wish to thank all of you for your assistance and trying to help me figure this out!
greets sander
August 9, 2010 12:47:00 PM

sander17 said:
alright, so today I got my buddys pc over here and I put my graphics card in his pc, guess what happened
http://rs551cg.rapidshare.com/files/411915410/IMG00313-20100809-1251.jpg.html

exactly the same thing! the same weird 'u' showed up, and it got me no where.

conclusion: a new gfx card will be bought soon, I wish to thank all of you for your assistance and trying to help me figure this out!
greets sander

Im glad you found out the culprit..... :) 
!