Hdd spins up and down over and over, then BSOD

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Ive been looking like forever for someone who can help me with a similar problem.

Right! Recently, i sold my HIS radeon 4850 and bought a Quadro FX580. Installed drivers, all works well. Then when pressing the shutdown button, my pc would switch off, and switch on again. That was wierd!

Then one day while working in Maya 2009, my machine froze....then BSOD.....and so i switched off in case any data was being corrupted or deleted. I gave my machine some time, then switched it on again and all was well. I carried on working but THEN after like 15min my machine froze again and the HDD started making a noise. Not the clicking like it was dying, but spin up then stopping, then spinning up, then stopping.

I have no idea whats wrong with my machine. Ive put my hdd in my brothers PC, and it reads fine there. Ive actually been working on it for 3 months now.

So im guessing its the PSU or mobo. But then my guess got shattered as an IT guy took my pc, replaced my CPU and added his HDD (without mine) and claimed it worked fine!

How can that be!!!?

Please help me out!

Solution
Download and run the appropriate drive test software for your hdd.
Run OCCT for an hour and Prime 95 to see if it crashes, this will point to a cpu/mem prob.
If it passes everything and your drive passes some sort of fitness test then your looking at possible psu problem.
Sounds like a program on your machine was accessing heavily the HDD. That will cause other programs to "freeze" temporarily.
I would say go ahead and run a
chkdsk x: /f/r
on that HDD and then do a clean-up and a defrag on it, then try to re-install it on your PC.
As usual, make a back-up of your data before experimenting with your HDD. These are routine operations, but moving the HDD back and forth can cause mechanical failures inside it.
Also, keep in mind that HDDs have a limited life span. If this is an older drive, get ready to replace it at some point. You can use an HDD cloning software to move your whole system onto the new drive, but you have to do it before the HDD actually fails.

Download and run the appropriate drive test software for your hdd.
Run OCCT for an hour and Prime 95 to see if it crashes, this will point to a cpu/mem prob.
If it passes everything and your drive passes some sort of fitness test then your looking at possible psu problem.

Solution

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Thanx guys il try out those things. My hdd is running fine at the moment, its only a year old so its definitely not the hdd. But my guess still between the CPU and PSU..either way im already planning on upgrading to i5

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hey guys it turns out to be my PSU.

I put my CPU in another machine and it worked. Did lots of swapping with all the types of combination with my PSU and CPU, and the combination failed every time my PSU was part of it. replaced the PSU and my machine is fine.

But how do I avoid this the next time?