Sign in with
Your question

Problem need advice

Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2010 11:20:58 PM

Hello,My motherboard is a Ambios 2006 American Megatrends, inc 945gz/gtc-m/01/11/07 with one Gig ram, 300mghz Intel Pentium (R)CPU 4 Processor. When I boot up, It detects the DVD-RW ID1108 Ver BO14 then autodetects the IDE HDD. It will not pick up a SATA HDD( have tried 3 working ones) and give the error message"Primary Master Drive - ATAPI Incompatible
3rd Slave Hard disk Error, Press F1 to resume. If I press F1, Nothing happens I am unable to enter CMOS. It freezes there but "ctrl alt Delete reboots it instantly.While its frozen the caps lock ans numlock keys work. What can I do. remember I cannot get to the CMOS page

More about : problem advice

a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2010 11:52:36 PM

Just for funsies, have you tried removing power and the backup battery to reset the CMOS to default values?
September 17, 2010 11:55:27 AM

Check the jumper pins on the SATA drive. There is a setting that will allow it to be backwards compatible with your older system.
The down side will be that it will slow down the SATA drive.

JD
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 3:57:07 PM

The "downside" of forcing your SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) HDD to slow down to original SATA speeds is not really "down". The fact is that very few SATA II HDD's even come close to average data transfer speeds faster that the old SATA (1.5 Gb/s) maxed out at, so you lose almost nothing. Check the website of your HDD manufacturer for how to make this setting. Many do it by jumper settings, as JD13 says, but some did it by software utilities.
!