Salvage Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 28, 2004 12:06:40 AM

I have a IBM Thinkpad T40 with a broken ac adapter port. Is it
worthless now since the port is connected to the motherboard/system
board and I can't power the system or charge the battery???

If not, what are my options to salvage this laptop?
Thanks in advance,
Carter

More about : salvage laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2004 3:15:04 AM

On 27 Dec 2004 21:06:40 -0800, "Carter" <tyronwashington@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a IBM Thinkpad T40 with a broken ac adapter port. Is it
>worthless now since the port is connected to the motherboard/system
>board and I can't power the system or charge the battery???
>
>If not, what are my options to salvage this laptop?
>Thanks in advance,
>Carter

Find a buddy who's a mechanical genious, feed him real good and.....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2004 11:14:01 AM

"Carter" <tyronwashington@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a IBM Thinkpad T40 with a broken ac adapter port. Is it
> worthless now since the port is connected to the motherboard/system
> board and I can't power the system or charge the battery???
>
> If not, what are my options to salvage this laptop?
> Thanks in advance,
> Carter

A surprisingly easy fix, you can find the part you need at either Digikey or
even eBay.
Make sure you take antistatic precautions if you're doing the work yourself.
Related resources
December 28, 2004 3:49:19 PM

thanks everyone.

i'm not handy with the soldering stuff, so i think i'mma try the
docking station solution.

it's still under warranty, but i bought the unit as is, with the broken
adapter port and no battery and no ac adapter and completely
disassembled with no screws, so i doubt IBM will still fix it.

thanks again folks

JHEM wrote:
> Carter <tyronwashington@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a IBM Thinkpad T40 with a broken ac adapter port. Is it
> > worthless now since the port is connected to the motherboard/system
> > board and I can't power the system or charge the battery???
>
> First, go here:
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/warranty/war... and
enter
> your machine type and serial number to check the status of the
machine's
> warranty.
>
> If still under warranty, send the unit back to IBM EZServe for
repair.

> If not under warranty, the part you need can be purchased several
places on
> the WWW and can be installed by anyone moderately competent with a
soldering
> iron.
>
> Or, get a port replicator or docking station for the T40 on eBay and
bypass
> the unit's internal AC connector for the dock's.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2004 5:10:23 PM

Carter <tyronwashington@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a IBM Thinkpad T40 with a broken ac adapter port. Is it
> worthless now since the port is connected to the motherboard/system
> board and I can't power the system or charge the battery???

First, go here:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/warranty/war... and enter
your machine type and serial number to check the status of the machine's
warranty.

If still under warranty, send the unit back to IBM EZServe for repair.

If not under warranty, the part you need can be purchased several places on
the WWW and can be installed by anyone moderately competent with a soldering
iron.

Or, get a port replicator or docking station for the T40 on eBay and bypass
the unit's internal AC connector for the dock's.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2004 10:04:13 AM

Changing the dc connector isnt that complex it does require total
disassembly of the unit however...
!