Q6600 Upgrade for gaming

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hello!
I have a Q6600 that I bought when they were fairly new; it is a B3 version.

It is getting a little long in the tooth, and is not very OC-friendly (seems anything higher than 2.52 GHZ and it doesn't want to post consistently). For all intents and purposes, assume that this chip is running at its stock speed (2.4 GHZ).

In addition, my other specs are:
Geforce GTX 460 1GB
4GB DDR2 800 MHZ
Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard (I'll admit, I am hesitant to overclock on it as I don't normally do that, though I will continue to try)
Latest Drivers
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
I play all of my games on an HP w2207 monitor at 1680 x 1050.

I am starting to notice that I can't quite keep up with the highest settings on some games anymore. I am thinking about replacing it soon, possibly in February, and was wondering which chips you guys would choose to replace it with, if any in the 775 socket - what do you think it would take to see an improvement in gaming specifically? Would it be more cost effective to ditch the socket and go with something else?

Thank you for your time!

Well,GTX 460 can handle all games perfectly fine on your resolution,but resolutions like yours benefit from a fast CPU,so if you can afford Core i5/i7 CPUs,then go for them(you have to change your CPU,RAM and Motherboard),but if you can't,then although socket 775 CPUs are EOL,you still can find them.
A CPU like Q9650 will give you a good boost in performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
sportsfanboy - I have heard that before, and I am certainly going to keep trying.

Maziar - thanks for the input. I looked at the price for the Q9650 and was shocked to see it was still so high! I would be hard pressed to buy an upgrade that expensive and pass up a Core i5 instead.
It's good to know I still have options on the 775 socket though.