Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SSD Capacity

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2012 5:32:19 AM

Hello,
My current 120GB SSD Is getting close to reaching it's capacity, how do I go about combining another 120GB to my current one?

More about : ssd capacity

December 27, 2012 5:46:13 AM

You'll have to look into a RAID solution. Specifically RAID0 if you're planning to increase capacity by adding another drive. Your motherboard must support RAID.
1. Backup all data on your current 120GB.
2. Combine your current 120GB with another 120GB in RAID0, to create a virtual 240GB drive. All old data will be lost.
3. Copy your old data back to your new 240GB array.

That's pretty much it.
Score

Best solution

a c 102 G Storage
December 27, 2012 5:46:34 AM

Buy another identical SSD and throw it in RAID0 with the original drive.

However, both drives need to be empty before you can make the RAID array. As well as the chances of failure doubling, since if one of drives fails it will break the whole array and the data on the remaining drive is useless on its own.

I would attempt to clean out your SSD before getting another one to RAID with. So move any movies, music, documents to another drive. Same with any programs and games that wont benefit from the extra speed or are simply not important.
Set up your web browser and any Torrent clients to download to a different drive.
Move the pagefile off the SSD, which will free up as much room as you have RAM.
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 6:16:53 AM

Buy a 1,2,3 Tb hdd, backup all dates from ssd.That's enough and low cost too.
Score
December 28, 2012 5:04:52 PM

Best answer selected by Dorsey.
Score
December 28, 2012 5:05:00 PM

manofchalk said:
Buy another identical SSD and throw it in RAID0 with the original drive.

However, both drives need to be empty before you can make the RAID array. As well as the chances of failure doubling, since if one of drives fails it will break the whole array and the data on the remaining drive is useless on its own.

I would attempt to clean out your SSD before getting another one to RAID with. So move any movies, music, documents to another drive. Same with any programs and games that wont benefit from the extra speed or are simply not important.
Set up your web browser and any Torrent clients to download to a different drive.
Move the pagefile off the SSD, which will free up as much room as you have RAM.

Hey dude, thanks for the quick response. I've moved as much as I could to my 500GB Raptor. The only thing left on the 120GB SSD are, the OS, Windows programs and anything else related to the operation of the sstem. So, now I can procede to "setting up my web browser', is that correct? If so I'll continuing on with the rest of your recommendations and get back to you on my progress. Thanks, Dorsey.
Score
a c 102 G Storage
December 28, 2012 7:32:06 PM

Yep, just go into the settings of whatever browser you use and change the download location to the Raptor drive, that will prevent anything you download saving to the SSD.
Follow this guide to move the pagefile of the SSD. If you have 16GB or more RAM, you could just remove the pagefile entirely to no ill effect, though I would play it safe and just reduce the size to 2GB or so.
http://www.worldstart.com/move-your-windows-7-pagefile-...
Score
December 28, 2012 9:45:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!