Computer randomly shutting off

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hate my computer right now. My computer is randomly shutting off. I was getting a kernel power critical error in event logger and random BSOD on boot. But after a format and OS re-install (win7 pro 64) I'm getting event id 6008, eventlog error. Also amdkmdag is spamming event id 6145 errors. What gives? Thanks in advanced!

Is this a Hackintosh, store-bought machine, one you built, ????
Full specs will be needed in order to get a meaningful answer.
First guess, and it is only a guess, is that your PSU is crappy and/or insufficient. What brand/model (not just wattage) is it?

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

System Specs:

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Processor - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (was overclocked to 3.2GHz, not at stock 2.8GHz)
Memory - 4 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
Motherboard - ECS A790GXM-AD3 AM3
Graphics - Dual XFX Radeon HD 4870 750M 1GB (CrossFireX enabled)
Storage - Intel 80GB X25-M G2 SSD (Main drive, OS, AHCI), Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA HD (AHCI), Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA HD (AHCI)
Power - Thermaltake Toughpower W0106RU 700 Watt
Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower

Take out one GPU and see if it happens. Then try with the other one by itself. If it doesn't happen with one, but does with two, your PSU has fallen down on the job. Do you have good airflow through your case, including through the PSU? If it is overheating, it will shut off.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

I went ahead and cleared the CMOS and left the settings alone, except the time. Running Prime95 and keeping an eye on temps with Core Temp. So far it's been about 40 minutes and still going. Max temp of 55 degrees Celsius.

Airflow seems great. Minimal dust, all wires tucked out of the way. I will try running just one GPU if the computer fails again.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Well the computer powered off again :cry: I'm going to try just one video card.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Took out one of the GPUs, been running Prime95 for 4 hours now. No issues. So I guess it is the PSU. Right?

Try the test with the OTHER GPU too. If that test is successful, then it is the PSU, which can handle just one, but not both of your GPUs. If that test fails, then that GPU is the likely issue.
As hell_storm2004 says, the error message is GPU-related, but whether it is due to a failure in a GPU or one or both GPUs being unhappy with insufficient power is what we're trying to find out with these tests.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Installed a new Corsair 650TX. Ran fine all day playing BF:BC2. Then just a few minutes ago after being on the internet a while I launched BF:BC2, 2 minutes later it powers off. First screen freezes, then the USB stuff powers off, then the PC. So I rebooted and it powered off while I was trying to type this on here. Get a 6008 critical error in event viewer, but right before that I have an information event 89 (Kernel-Power). Also getting a mess of AMDKMDAG event 62464 errors, over 1,000 in the last hour alone.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

No. I will give it a try.

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Now it's powering off more and more often. I can't even load anything intensive. Getting critical error 41 (kernel-power).

The computer does not BSOD, it just powers off. The same as unplugging the power.

So you have a new psu, its not overheating and its not overclocked.

I'd set it up with a single card, run memtest, run occt, run 3dmark, if it passes them it shouldn't be shutting down.

If it passes try with the other card, then try both single cards in the other pci slot.

I think you've almost got to start again and work your way along testing as you go to see if you can pinpoint the problem, you may have a board error, just seems random...hence the title. :(

vigvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Okay guys I went ahead and removed both HD 4870's (using onboard HD 3200), all memory sticks except 1. The thing is still powering off randomly. Less often but still powering off.

Someone mentioned it might be the video cards so I installed one of my HD 4870s into another PC I just built. It powers off randomly now also.

The only thing I get in both systems is the Kernel Power 41 error in event viewer, but that only tells me that the system powered down unexpectedly.

So is there something wrong with both video cards, the motherboard, or both systems? I'm losing sleep over this please help.