Sony Vaio Blackout

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:11:36 AM

I have a Sony Vaio PCG GRS 100K laptop. The Monitor fails to turn on
with the computer most of the time, but the HD and CD-ROM Drive lights
turn on. The Caps Lock and Num Lock lights don't turn on (means it does
not go beyond BIOS) and I tried following SONY's FAQ's on this web
site:
http://129.33.22.8/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=257,E=...(324651),TS=External,UseTemplate=response_case.tem
but it did not help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : sony vaio blackout

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 10:40:08 AM

Apply Pressure to the ram chips 1st... if that dosnt work completely
remove and install RAM again. I also read that reseting the BIOS made
the fix. One other thing you could try is reinstalling the video
drivers.

I have heard many bad things about Sony when I researched your
question. I would stay away from them in the future.
Good Luck

700sc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 10:07:43 PM

Thanks Sean, I will try re-setting the BIOS from under the computer and
see what happens.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 10:04:06 AM

Anther thing to try is external monitor to see if the backlight is
failing intermittently. If you are having the RAM problem its
associated with cold/bad solder joints and needs reworked. This
problem plagues a ton of Sonys and a few other manufacturers babys.
Try pulling the RAM from slot 2, Hit the reset button (w/power and
battery disconnected) If the external monitor does not work. If you
need help we are available also if you cannot do the repairs
yourself.
Ken LaDere
www.ikenfixit.com
!