Sign in with
Your question

Mother board fried?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2011 8:51:37 PM

Hello,
is my motherboard dead? My computer ..( a acer aspire m1641) doesnt boot up, says no input on monitor, and no beeps when all the ram is taken out. The only thing that happens when i hit the power button is the cpu fans,cd drives and (hd i think) turn on. So does this mean my mobo is dead? my Psu bad? or Cpu? I had a feeling it was my psu, so i checked it using a multimeter... it pumps out the rite Volts per pin... Im not sure abt the amps.

What do i need to fix?

More about : mother board fried

August 6, 2011 8:53:41 PM

also there is no lights on the mobo at all... usually the ethernet port glows when plugged, but no glow now. Thanks in advance
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
August 6, 2011 9:05:36 PM

The ethernet port glows because it is powered by the little standby power supply inside the PSU. Did you check that pin?

Extracted from my troubleshooting suggestions:
use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire
(standby power supply): 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except
for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

On ther other hand, no beeps after you pull the RAM seems to indicate a bad motherboard or CPU. And CPU's are surprisingly durable.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2011 4:32:32 PM

I tested the psu according to this  fficial&biw=1280&bih=629&tbm=isch&tbnid=K2UYcvSZewS9iM:&imgrefurl=http://flylib.com/books/en/4.55.1.48/1/&docid=jGizOdxWXmW8YM&w=352&h=475&ei=xrw-TuaCIamtsAKa8-z9Dw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=180&page=1&tbnh=185&tbnw=137&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=17&ty=89" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=24-pin+ATX12V+2.x+power+s...... and it had the right volts per pin... so yea i think its my mobo.. hopefullly. but one question.. how does the cpu fan get power if the mobo is dead? the cpu fan gets its power trough the mobo...

Also i took off the heatsink and checked the cpu.. the thermal paste was very hard and dry.. but had a good coverage around it. also i tried the dumb way of checking the cpu, by checking if it heats up by turning the comp on for a couple of seconds.. No heat was felt by my fingers.. last question.. will the cpu get powered up if the mobo is dead?
m
l
August 9, 2011 2:13:05 PM

So i replaced my motherboard yesterday and everything looks fine now :) 
Thanks
m
l
!