Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My new homebuilt computer randomly freezes in windows 7

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2010 8:09:28 AM

My computer has been randomly freezing from the get go. Before I installed the nvidia drivers it would give me a black screen with no response but now the screen is visible and the computer still does not respond (dvd player stops, mouse doesn't move anymore, screen freezes). The temps during the last freeze were system 33, cpu 30, gpu 38 C, so it doesn't seem to be overheating, unless its some little piece on the motherboard. I've also switched all the parts in the computer except for the hard drive and case and it hasn't helped. It usually freezes while I'm installing something, but it has also froze while the only application open was this website. My windows update says its up to date. Other than the hard drive I'm low on ideas right now.

The system itself:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 updated to f11 bios
Intel i5-760 with stock fan
Corsair Dominator 2x2 GB ram 1600 Mhz
Antec Truepower 750 Blue
GeForce GTX 460 1 GB
Samsung 1 TB HE1
Pioneer DVD
HAF 922 case
Windows 7
September 17, 2010 1:06:48 PM

I'm not to totally sure this is the problem, but maybe you could try switching out one of the hardrives.

Also, this might be a memory issue. If you can get a on a another computer and load memtest on a disk, pop the disk in while your computer boots and it will run a series of tests on your RAM. I would suggest running it over night or while your at school/work since it takes quiet some time to run the test. (ex. about 8 hours for me).
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 5:30:34 PM

Corsair Dominator is 1.65V RAM. Your motherboard is only going to apply 1.5V unless you go into the bios and force the extra voltage. Manually setting all the Bios RAM settings to match your RAM is probably what you need to do. Its the most common cause of freezing problems like you are experiencing.
Related resources
September 17, 2010 5:42:14 PM

I changed the RAM from 1333, 1.5V to 1600, 1.65V and it's been running for half an hour now without freezing. May be too soon to tell if it's stable but it's definitely an improvement if not a complete fix. I'm not sure if there are any other settings I need to change. That's so weird that Auto doesn't work. Thanks a lot!
m
l
September 18, 2010 12:02:32 PM

This might be the solution to your problems

There is a hotfix by microsoft which is KB2265716 and you have to restart your system twice for it to take effect. You can find this at the microsoft web site. This issue occurs because of a deadlock condition between the Lsass.exe process, the Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (Rdbss.sys) driver, and the Winsock kernel.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716/en-us

The other one is the automatic fix which is your add ons that can also be causing your problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

Run this first and see if it helps you. If not, do the hotfix, and I am pretty sure it will solve your problem

Good luck
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:52:36 PM

Best answer selected by triplej.
m
l
!