GA-990FXA-UD7 Strange Voltages

arsenal553

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hello everyone.
There is something really off with my cpu voltage. I am currently using a AMD Athlon II X2 250. In the bios it is set to its Normal voltage which is 1.4V. In PC Health Status it says that the cpu is running at 1.45V. And cpuz reports a variety of voltages fluctuating from 1.456-1.472V. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks

Solution

So have you tried to set the voltage manually in the BIOS?
I wouldn't be too concerned with the fluctuations in CPUz, I'd consider the voltage reported by the BIOS to be most accurate. If you use AMD overdrive, I find it very accurate for all CPU and motherboard settings. You can also adjust things on the fly...

All the current CPU's I've been running from AMD are running at 1.375V normally. I wouldn't go to 1.4V unless I was overclocking.
These fluctuations are normal, although I am with you; I would like to see these voltages a lot tighter. How about your power supply? Could you give a few more specifics about your system?

arsenal553

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hi, My power supply is a corsair HX850 which is putting out very good voltages when being tested with a volt meter. You are right though. 1.4v is too much to be the default voltage. And then the motherboard adds 0.06v. Its like a reverse vdroop. Ive never seen this before. The ram is 8gb of g skill ripjaws that i tested with mem test for 4 hours and the gpus are crossfired HD 6870 with i have tested in fur mark for an hour.

So have you tried to set the voltage manually in the BIOS?
I wouldn't be too concerned with the fluctuations in CPUz, I'd consider the voltage reported by the BIOS to be most accurate. If you use AMD overdrive, I find it very accurate for all CPU and motherboard settings. You can also adjust things on the fly, then dial in your settings in the BIOS.

Well, this is a new motherboard and chipset so there typically is a few growing pains. I'd check for a new BIOS and probably check with the gigabyte forums to see if this is a problem others have experienced. However, if it continues and is bothersome I'd consider an RMA on the board.

Solution