Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Gaming Build - Advice Please

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 17, 2010 8:59:37 AM

Hey TH forums, it's been a number of years (>5) since I last built a computer from bottom up, and I needed some advice. I've found a lot of useful information on the site in terms of choosing parts and such. I'm currently going off of Tecmo's thread on recommended builds for an Intel gaming rig. I really like the looks of everything, but I have some questions with a few parts.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760 -- $209
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail -- $180
RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO - Retail -- $97
HSF: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU ... - Retail-- $30
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -- $75
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail -- $100
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card -- $240
DVD: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - Retail -- $25
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail -- $90
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM -- $10

Total: $1056

First, the HDD - I currently have a WD 1TB external hard drive that's been working well for me. Am I wrong to think that an additional TB for the computer would be overkill? I feel like I could save some money here by going for a smaller drive, or should I consider taking the external out of its case and using it internally? It's a Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive WDH1U10000N.

Second, the GPU - As someone just getting into PC gaming, is it excessive to go with the recommended GPU? In terms of what I want out of the build, I'm looking forward to playing newer games like CoD: Black Ops. But since it's been so long, I have a lot to learn about all the features of newer hardware, i.e. overclocking, SLI, CrossFire. Those all may be over my head in what I need. That fact may also influence other parts, like the MB and PSU. I'm all for getting the most out of my system at a good price, but I doubt I'll be needing multiple GPUs in the future.

Third, DVD - Easy question. Should I take my current computer's Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1633S and put it into the build, or is it worth $25 to get a fresh drive?


Sorry if that's a lot, I would really appreciate any help or pointers you guys could give me. Oh, also Newegg is currently offering me %10 off on WD hard drives and 10% on Intel MBs. I also don't understand how Newegg combos work. So if you guys recommended parts comparable to the ones listed that would save me money, I would be one happy gamer = ] Orrrr, should I just use the build as it is?

More about : gaming build advice

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 10:08:41 AM

CPU + mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can get the 500GB Spinpoint F3 but it's only $20 cheaper. You can reuse the DVD-RW, is it SATA?.

At that price for that video card I'd get a HD 5850 (it's cheaper with no shipping and rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The combos are usually good until the end of the month then they make available other combo deals.
Share
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 4:49:19 PM

I've heard the 1TB and larger drives have a higher failure rate than the 500GB models, but haven't experienced a drive failure first hand in a long time. You know what your storage needs are, but if 500GB is big enough (plus your external), then I'd probably go with that.
Unless you're planning on SLI, you could drop the PSU back to 620W-650W. For the same $100, you could get a Seasonic M12II 620W or Antec Truepower New 650W, both of which are modular and 80+ bronze.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 17, 2010 5:55:35 PM

mosox said:
CPU + mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can get the 500GB Spinpoint F3 but it's only $20 cheaper.

Hmm... I see your point. I think I'd rather just put in the extra $20.

mosox said:
You can reuse the DVD-RW, is it SATA?.

No, I didn't check on that. So I'll get a new one.

mosox said:
At that price for that video card I'd get a HD 5850 (it's cheaper with no shipping and rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cool! Thank you sir.

So I think I'll go with your recommendations. I'll be ordering later today, in case anyone has anything to add.


Edit:
Onus said:

Unless you're planning on SLI, you could drop the PSU back to 620W-650W. For the same $100, you could get a Seasonic M12II 620W or Antec Truepower New 650W, both of which are modular and 80+ bronze.

I don't understand, what advantage would that give me? I'd be spending the same amount of money on a weaker power supply.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 8:30:20 PM

If you have thoughts of adding a second graphics card as a future upgrade, I would stick with the 460 (1GB). They pair more efficiently and will outperform a pair of 5850s. Also the superclocked 460(1GB) is probably as fast as a stock 5850.


jtt is recommending MODULAR power supplies so you dont have a large tangle of cables hanging out of the PSU. They are also more highly rated (80+ bronze).

I would stick with the Gskill Eco RAM. They dont have the tall jaws things that might get in the way of the CPU cooler and the low voltage gives you less heat generation and room to play with when overclocking.


Look at the HAF 912. Its the new HAF. Smaller but more smartly designed than the 922. Also has dust filters and more fan options.
m
0
l
September 17, 2010 9:15:48 PM

dndhatcher said:
If you have thoughts of adding a second graphics card as a future upgrade, I would stick with the 460 (1GB). They pair more efficiently and will outperform a pair of 5850s. Also the superclocked 460(1GB) is probably as fast as a stock 5850.


So the 460 is better in either case? I'm not sure about a second graphics card in the future. I guess I'll just see how well the first one works for me.
dndhatcher said:
jtt is recommending MODULAR power supplies so you dont have a large tangle of cables hanging out of the PSU. They are also more highly rated (80+ bronze).


Ok, just to be sure I understand, if I'm not planning on a second GPU, I should think about a modular power supply at equal price? But if I am, I should go for a bigger power supply?

dndhatcher said:
Look at the HAF 912. Its the new HAF. Smaller but more smartly designed than the 922. Also has dust filters and more fan options.

Hmm... it's also $30 cheaper. From your info, I see no reason not to.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2010 9:19:40 PM

Picking the ideal graphics card is difficult right now. There are lots of good choices.
krossfade said:
Ok, just to be sure I understand, if I'm not planning on a second GPU, I should think about a modular power supply at equal price? But if I am, I should go for a bigger power supply?
I was explaining, not endorsing.

If you have a case with a bottom PSU then the extra power cables just lie on the bottom so its not a big deal. If your case has a top mount PSU then the cables would dangle all over the motherboard and airflow lanes so you have to do extra work to route and/or tie them down out of the way.
m
0
l
September 17, 2010 9:26:31 PM

dndhatcher said:
If you have a case with a bottom PSU then the extra power cables just lie on the bottom so its not a big deal. If your case has a top mount PSU then the cables would dangle all over the motherboard and airflow lanes so you have to do extra work to route and/or tie them down out of the way.


Ohhh ok. And with the HAF 912 the PSU is bottom mounted. Awesome.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2010 12:07:08 AM

Forgot to say that if you switch to the cheaper AM3 (Phenom II X4 955 or 965 + AM3 mobo) you can get a HD5870 in your budget.
m
0
l
September 18, 2010 12:43:56 AM

mosox said:
Forgot to say that if you switch to the cheaper AM3 (Phenom II X4 955 or 965 + AM3 mobo) you can get a HD5870 in your budget.


You're not making this any easier for me, haha. Too many choices...

I've come to a conclusion though, for the extra $15 (w/ combos) I think I'll go with the Lian Li Case and 650W XFX power supply. Everything else should be the same as it is in my first post.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 3:59:13 AM

Quick Update: Thank you for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I gave mosox best answer because he was the first to respond, but you were all helpful. I have all the parts and I'm almost done putting it together. I'm trying to wire everything properly now, which has been a bit tricky for me, but I'm trying to figure it out. If anyone has a helpful link, that would be awesome.
n
nBest answer selected by KrossFade.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 9:03:30 AM

Thanks again everyone! Now speaking to you from my glorious new computing device. = D
m
0
l
!