Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 hdd and windows 7 automa tic updates

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2012 12:32:22 PM

Hi. I have two hdd's in my system. I have loaded windows 7 on one of them which is my primary hdd (250gb velociraptor wd). Now, i want everything else (apps, pics, music, etc) to be on the secondary hdd which is 2tb. I want just windows on the primary which is 250gb.

I want to tell my computer that when it does perform automatic updates for windows and windows' apps, to save them only on the primary, and every other update on the secondary (such as flash update, adobe update, antivirus update, gpu update, etc).

How do i do that?

Thanks.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 4:24:33 PM

It should essentially be automatic. If Windows is on one drive, updates for Windows will, by necessity, be installed on that drive. Same goes for other programs. If they are on the second drive, then the updates for that program will, by necessity, be installed on that other drive.

Just keep in mind that, because of design decisions made by Microsoft, some small parts of programs need to be installed on the same drive as Windows. The bulk of the program will be on the other drive, but a couple of DLL files may need to be located within the Windows folder.
December 27, 2012 4:36:46 PM

cl-scott said:
It should essentially be automatic. If Windows is on one drive, updates for Windows will, by necessity, be installed on that drive. Same goes for other programs. If they are on the second drive, then the updates for that program will, by necessity, be installed on that other drive.

Just keep in mind that, because of design decisions made by Microsoft, some small parts of programs need to be installed on the same drive as Windows. The bulk of the program will be on the other drive, but a couple of DLL files may need to be located within the Windows folder.

+1

exactly right
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 11:02:50 PM

Thank you. So as long as I assure I install any apps or programs (beside any Windows 7 relates ones) onto my HHD, then the updates and other files associated with them should be directed to that hard drive instead of the SSD, correct?

Also, what if a program gets installed automatically (such as GPU driver update) onto the SSD. I tried cut and pasting it from SSD to HHD, but with no luck. It wouldn't want to move two small files within that file and even though I cut and pasted it, a copy of it still remained on my SSD. How do I prevent that from happening in the same place.

Your answer is very appreciated.
m
l
December 27, 2012 11:03:24 PM

cl-scott said:

Thank you. So as long as I assure I install any apps or programs (beside any Windows 7 relates ones) onto my HHD, then the updates and other files associated with them should be directed to that hard drive instead of the SSD, correct?

Also, what if a program gets installed automatically (such as GPU driver update) onto the SSD. I tried cut and pasting it from SSD to HHD, but with no luck. It wouldn't want to move two small files within that file and even though I cut and pasted it, a copy of it still remained on my SSD. How do I prevent that from happening in the same place.

Your answer is very appreciated.
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:49:42 PM

Best answer selected by xerxesaria.
m
l
!