Formatting Hard Drive - No Progress Shown

Flizzelz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello all,

I just built and setup my new computer. I have 3 drives (1 SSD, 2 HDDs). The format on the second HDD is currently 'RAW' and whenever I try and format it, it says 'Formatting' but no progress is made. I have tried to format it using the Disk Management and the format setup when you just click on the drive in 'Computer'. And both times, the percentage completed never shows up and the progress bar never starts moving. However, with my first HDD the formatting worked perfectly fine when I did it in Disk Management and went from 1%-100% and was working after that. I am not sure what is wrong. I know the connection isn't bad since the computer is actually recognizing the drive.

So would anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

PC Specs if it helps:

MSI Big Bang Mpower Z77 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770k CPU
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
MSI GTX 680 Lightning GPU
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600Mhz RAM
Corsair AX860i PSU
ADATA XPG SX900 256GB SSD
2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD

Flizzelz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks for your reply, however I tried to do that and when I clicked on 'check now' it says 'the disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted'.

Flizzelz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Did you try it on another computer?

Sadly, this is my first computer build (previously buying laptops, and a desktop 7 years ago) so I don't have any computers to test the hard drive in. I could see if a local computer store would test the drive for me or see what is wrong.

Windows recognizes the drive and everything, but it needs to format and that is where I am having issues...

Flizzelz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

No I did a full format overnight last night on both of my drives. The one thats working started showing a progress percentage right away and didn't take too long to finish, whereas the hard drive that isn't working just said 'Formatting...' all night.

I'm currently running Western Digital LifeGuard to look for bad sectors. Hopefully everything is fine, and I stopped it by cancelling the format through disk management and then restarting the computer.