Memory Compatibility Query

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
The following are my system specs:-

[1] AMD X4 955 BE - @ 3.2Ghz (stock)

[2] Gigabyte GA-MA-785-GMT-USB3 Motherboard

[3] Corsair VX 550

[4] Gskill Rip-jaws (red) 4 GB (2x2) @ MHz (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222) + Gskill Sniper 8GB (GB) @ MHz (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=390&c1=1&c2=3)

[5] MSI 5850 Twin Frozr2

[6] Coolermaster Hyper TX-3 with 92mm Coolermaster Blademaster fan

I currently run a 4 GB kit of Gskill Rip-jaws (red)@ MHz. The 8 GB kit of Gskill Sniper will arrive on Monday. The following are the few queries I have:-

[1] Will I be able to use the Gskill Sniper in along with my existing Gskill Rip-jaws without any compatibility issues? If there are any compatibility issues, what could they possibly be?

[2] The Gskill Snipers run at 1.2v vs the 1.5 of the Rip-jaws so I am not sure of the effects of running these together, will I be able to run both these ram modules at their stated 1600Mhz frequencies properly without getting a BSOD?

[3] If any compatibility issues crop up what would be the necessary steps/solutions to resolve it ? (please mention if I need to adjust voltages in my motherboard,etc)

The other issue is that I have 4 DIMM slots in my motherboard and the first DIMM Slot is pretty much unusable, thanks to my HSF which interferes in the installation of the memory module.

[4] Can anyone (AMD users specifically) mention a good HSF which does not interfere with the installation of the memory modules in DIMM slots 1 and 2? I need something that is silent. I will not overclock my system. I need something cheap as well Currently the only option I have, should I choose to utilize all the four DIMM slots, is the AMD BE Stock HSF.

you will not be able to use them together since they require different Voltages.

the 1.5V will not run at a 1.25V setting, and the 1.25V might fry running at a 1.5V setting

just use the 8GB modules which should be enough to run most anything in Win7