Toshiba Sat-Pro 440CDT

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 1:02:34 PM

I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
original specification - right down to running under Win 95.

I am not very keen to part with a laptop that I have come to know and
trust, which has proved to be 100% reliable over the years. But I really
do need to try to bring it a little more up to date.

I am finding the original spec increasingly frustrating and would like
to upgrade the OS to Win XP, increase RAM to 128 (or there abouts), also
replace the HDD with a larger one.

The laptop does not (and never has had to) for fill the role of my main
machine, I have always run a desktop PC along side the laptop.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email

More about : toshiba sat pro 440cdt

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 1:02:35 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 1:02:35 PM

C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
> I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
> original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
> pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.

I'd get something more modern. It will be hard to find the antiquated
EDO RAM that you need. Disk upgrade might be feasible.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 1:10:15 PM

Charlie
I too have one of the old Fithful Tosh SatPro 420 CDT. I think you
may not be able to upgrade the old one with a lot of the new fancy
stuff do to the processor speed itself. Example I tried to upgrade
mine from W95 to W98 and was unable due to insufficient processor
speed in the old unit. Most upgrades require 166mhz speed minimum
and probably that just wont match even if your in the fast lane
on the freeway.
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:

> I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
> original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
>
> I am not very keen to part with a laptop that I have come to know and
> trust, which has proved to be 100% reliable over the years. But I really
> do need to try to bring it a little more up to date.
>
> I am finding the original spec increasingly frustrating and would like
> to upgrade the OS to Win XP, increase RAM to 128 (or there abouts), also
> replace the HDD with a larger one.
>
> The laptop does not (and never has had to) for fill the role of my main
> machine, I have always run a desktop PC along side the laptop.
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
> pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>

> --
> Charlie
>
> use "reply to" header for email

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:23:29 PM

In article <9uaAd.4154$2_4.1729@okepread06>,
Cyclops wrote ...

> C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> > I am finding the original spec increasingly frustrating and would like
> > to upgrade the OS to Win XP, increase RAM to 128 (or there abouts), also
> > replace the HDD with a larger one.
>
> Parts is the problem, the maximum RAM the laptop can even handle is
> 144Mb, also finding the RAM chips is going to be a bitch. To my
> knowledge the largest HD you can put in there is a 10Gb.

I was afraid that might be case, and when supply is difficult price is
usually high. Cost will in the end be the deciding factor, it could just
be too expensive an option to be a worthwhile doing.

> And, I actually have this model laptop, sitting in a back room somewhere.
>
> > The laptop does not (and never has had to) for fill the role of my main
> > machine, I have always run a desktop PC along side the laptop.
>
> That is good as you can't run XP on the machine, I've tried, XP pukes
> when you try, and Toshiba doesn't even make XP drivers for its hardware,
> not even 2k or NT drivers.

Hmmm, so WIN 98 SE is probably as good as it will get then. Not much
encouragement to upgrade there!

> > I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
> > pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>
> I'd love to have better news for you. Hopefully someone else does.

I'm very grateful for your reply Dave, many thanks.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:23:30 PM

C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
> Hmmm, so WIN 98 SE is probably as good as it will get then. Not much
> encouragement to upgrade there!

You might be able to run Windows 2000.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:33:24 PM

In article <7xoegelntn.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...

> C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
> > I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
> > original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
> > I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
> > pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>
> I'd get something more modern. It will be hard to find the antiquated
> EDO RAM that you need. Disk upgrade might be feasible.

If I can't economically improve it generally i.e. OS + RAM + HDD etc, I
may just keep it all original to age gracefully to become a museum
piece. After all said and done, I have become very attached to the old
gal over the years.

Buying something more modern may well be the sensible way to go. I
wonder if todays Toshiba range is as well put together and reliable
though?

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:33:25 PM

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <7xoegelntn.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...
>
>> C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
>>> I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in
>>> its original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
>>> I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to
>>> the pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>>
>> I'd get something more modern. It will be hard to find the
>> antiquated EDO RAM that you need. Disk upgrade might be feasible.
>>
> If I can't economically improve it generally i.e. OS + RAM + HDD etc,
> I may just keep it all original to age gracefully to become a museum
> piece. After all said and done, I have become very attached to the old
> gal over the years.
>
> Buying something more modern may well be the sensible way to go. I
> wonder if todays Toshiba range is as well put together and reliable
> though?

IMO, no. These Tosh Satellite Pros were built like armored vehicles.
You will find nothing that will last as long as these. They make dandy
print servers on a network.

a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:48:34 PM

In article <7xmzvy3b9r.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...

> > Hmmm, so WIN 98 SE is probably as good as it will get then. Not much
> > encouragement to upgrade there!
>
> You might be able to run Windows 2000.

Well, that does sound a little more encouraging. I'd be interested to
hear from anyone who has successfully installed Win 2000 on a 440CDT
before raising any hopes though.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 3:21:17 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 11:06:19 PM

Tnx Barry. I sent you a private email and thanks for your help
as usual.
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 12:02:58 AM

In article <EI-dnXqTCtMBEUzcRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
Quaoar wrote ...

> > Buying something more modern may well be the sensible way to go. I
> > wonder if todays Toshiba range is as well put together and reliable
> > though?
>
> IMO, no. These Tosh Satellite Pros were built like armored vehicles.
> You will find nothing that will last as long as these. They make dandy
> print servers on a network.

After all the years of good service I don't think I could bring myself
to use my Sat-Pro for such a purpose!

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 12:18:22 AM

In article <LejAd.4175$2_4.2846@okepread06>,
Cyclops wrote ...

> > You might be able to run Windows 2000.
>
> Tried that myself, Win2k will run but it is prone to problem, which is
> unlike 2k so, I can only assume its from slowness of hardware, requires
> so much on your swap space too, that it becomes very difficult to work
> with it and have any HD space on the 1.2Gb disk.

These are the comments that I welcome and that will I'm sure in the long
run, save me a lot of wasted time and energy chasing shadows.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 12:18:23 AM

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <LejAd.4175$2_4.2846@okepread06>,
> Cyclops wrote ...
>
>>> You might be able to run Windows 2000.
>>
>> Tried that myself, Win2k will run but it is prone to problem, which
>> is unlike 2k so, I can only assume its from slowness of hardware,
>> requires so much on your swap space too, that it becomes very
>> difficult to work with it and have any HD space on the 1.2Gb disk.
>>
> These are the comments that I welcome and that will I'm sure in the
> long run, save me a lot of wasted time and energy chasing shadows.

Just stick w/98se. You'll boot faster, and if you get the latest drivers
(assuming everything is working well hardware-wise), it should be relatively
happy with less than 200mb of memory. I've got a couple systems running on
32 megs....

jak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 2:59:20 AM

There's not a lot that you can do. You can upgrade memory to the
maximum (not sure what it is, but I think it's "enough"), you can
upgrade the hard drive, and you can upgrade to Windows 98 2nd edition.
And that's about all that you can do.

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:

> I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
> original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
>
> I am not very keen to part with a laptop that I have come to know and
> trust, which has proved to be 100% reliable over the years. But I really
> do need to try to bring it a little more up to date.
>
> I am finding the original spec increasingly frustrating and would like
> to upgrade the OS to Win XP, increase RAM to 128 (or there abouts), also
> replace the HDD with a larger one.
>
> The laptop does not (and never has had to) for fill the role of my main
> machine, I have always run a desktop PC along side the laptop.
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
> pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 4:02:59 AM

Put 98SE on it. It's a huge improvement over 95. Also, if you don't
have at least about 48 megs of memory, do that. 98SE with 48 or 64 megs
of memory will actually run pretty well on that machine.

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <7xoegelntn.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...
>

>>C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
>>
>>>I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
>>>original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
>>>I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
>>>pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>>
>>I'd get something more modern. It will be hard to find the antiquated
>>EDO RAM that you need. Disk upgrade might be feasible.
>>

> If I can't economically improve it generally i.e. OS + RAM + HDD etc, I
> may just keep it all original to age gracefully to become a museum
> piece. After all said and done, I have become very attached to the old
> gal over the years.
>
> Buying something more modern may well be the sensible way to go. I
> wonder if todays Toshiba range is as well put together and reliable
> though?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 4:03:38 AM

Win 2K might run, but 98SE is a better OS for that particular computer.

Paul Rubin wrote:

> C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
>
>>Hmmm, so WIN 98 SE is probably as good as it will get then. Not much
>>encouragement to upgrade there!
>

> You might be able to run Windows 2000.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 4:46:18 AM

Joe, since you know me, I know that you will believe what I say: The
420CDT will run 98SE just fine, and it's a better OS than 95. The only
comment is that you should have a reasonable memory upgrade installed
(the 420CDT can go up to 40 megs of memory, for 98SE, I'd say you'd want
24 megs or more).

The 44x series had USB, I believe, and a substantially faster CPU with
MMX instruction set, so it was a step up from the earlier 400 series
models. But the CPU speed was only 133 MHz, I think, so it still wasn't
exactly a speed demon.

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> Charlie
> I too have one of the old Fithful Tosh SatPro 420 CDT. I think you
> may not be able to upgrade the old one with a lot of the new fancy
> stuff do to the processor speed itself. Example I tried to upgrade
> mine from W95 to W98 and was unable due to insufficient processor
> speed in the old unit. Most upgrades require 166mhz speed minimum
> and probably that just wont match even if your in the fast lane
> on the freeway.
> Kokomo Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
> * Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *
>

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
>

>>I bought my Toshiba 440CDT back in 1996, it is still operating in its
>>original specification - right down to running under Win 95.
>>
>>I am not very keen to part with a laptop that I have come to know and
>>trust, which has proved to be 100% reliable over the years. But I really
>>do need to try to bring it a little more up to date.
>>
>>I am finding the original spec increasingly frustrating and would like
>>to upgrade the OS to Win XP, increase RAM to 128 (or there abouts), also
>>replace the HDD with a larger one.
>>
>>The laptop does not (and never has had to) for fill the role of my main
>>machine, I have always run a desktop PC along side the laptop.
>>
>>I would be very grateful for any suggestions from the group as to the
>>pros and cons of upgrading this laptop. TIA.
>>

>>--
>>Charlie
>>
>>use "reply to" header for email

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 12:18:50 PM

In article <GenAd.615$sE1.558@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
jakdedert wrote ...

> >> Tried that myself, Win2k will run but it is prone to problem, which
> >> is unlike 2k so, I can only assume its from slowness of hardware,
> >> requires so much on your swap space too, that it becomes very
> >> difficult to work with it and have any HD space on the 1.2Gb disk.
> >>
> > These are the comments that I welcome and that will I'm sure in the
> > long run, save me a lot of wasted time and energy chasing shadows.
>
> Just stick w/98se. You'll boot faster, and if you get the latest drivers
> (assuming everything is working well hardware-wise), it should be relatively
> happy with less than 200mb of memory. I've got a couple systems running on
> 32 megs....

General view seems to be an upgrade with Win98SE, extra Mem (144Kb max)
plus a 6Gb HDD. I will do a little research now to see what these will
cost. But it does seem that availability of the parts may also be an
issue to take into account.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 12:24:44 PM

In article <41D2033D.5080408@neo.rr.com>,
Barry Watzman wrote ...

> >>Hmmm, so WIN 98 SE is probably as good as it will get then. Not much
> >>encouragement to upgrade there!
> >
> > You might be able to run Windows 2000.
>
> Win 2K might run, but 98SE is a better OS for that particular computer.

If I can source the parts at a reasonable cost the sensible way to go
would seem Win98SE with extra memory and a larger HDD. Thanks for all
your help and suggestions Barry, I do feel more confident in attempting
the upgrade now.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 4:42:38 PM

In article <41D28EE6.3050809@netscape.net>,
mike wrote ...

[..]
> If windows 95 is "100% reliable" don't even consider upgrading the OS.
> Outside of crashing, the only reason to upgrade from 95 is to get more
> hardware drivers or USB support, which you don't need on your fixed
> laptop configuration.

I like your logic Mike, what you say makes a lot of sense! The 440CDT
does have a USB socket, which I would find useful in respect of using a
USB data stick - for which I believe I need Win98SE at least.

> Bottom line is, "fix ONLY what's broke using parts that are almost
> free." Save your real $$ for a brand new $500 laptop. Watch the sales
> on Jan 2.

I have decided to limit any possible upgrade to parts that are
economical and readily available, which from the advice I've received
thus far is likely to greatly limit my options.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
December 29, 2004 6:38:44 PM

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <41D28EE6.3050809@netscape.net>,
> mike wrote ...
>
> [..]
>
>>If windows 95 is "100% reliable" don't even consider upgrading the OS.
>>Outside of crashing, the only reason to upgrade from 95 is to get more
>>hardware drivers or USB support, which you don't need on your fixed
>>laptop configuration.
>>

> I like your logic Mike, what you say makes a lot of sense! The 440CDT
> does have a USB socket, which I would find useful in respect of using a
> USB data stick - for which I believe I need Win98SE at least.

WElll, if the thing came with a USB port, it shoulda come with a driver.
Whether it works with usb flash sticks is another matter.

When you need drivers, I've found the Canadian Toshiba website to have a
lot more legacy stuff than you find elsewhere.

One possibility is to use a compact flash card. Stick it in a PCMCIA
adapter for the laptop and a USB2 flashreader on the desktop.
Less convenient, but cheaper (especially if you already have compact
flash for some other application) and faster data transfer. I've never
actually done this on win95, so there may be issues. Works fine on
98SE. Doesn't have to be compact flash if you have the adapters for
other memory formats.

For data trasfer, I've found a wireless card to be superior. If you get
an old 16-bit PCMCIA (not cardbus) 802.11B card, it will work in most
any laptop or PCMCIA enabled PDA/Palmtop. Gives the most flexibility
real cheap, if you already have the wireless router. With direct remote
hard disk access, you may not need a bigger drive on the laptop.
And it will work on your next laptop and the one after that.

And there's nothing really wrong with installing 98SE as long as you
have a spare license.
mike

>>Bottom line is, "fix ONLY what's broke using parts that are almost
>>free." Save your real $$ for a brand new $500 laptop. Watch the sales
>>on Jan 2.
>>

> I have decided to limit any possible upgrade to parts that are
> economical and readily available, which from the advice I've received
> thus far is likely to greatly limit my options.

--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard

In article <41D34004.1080802@netscape.net>,
mike wrote ...

> >>If windows 95 is "100% reliable" don't even consider upgrading the OS.
> >>Outside of crashing, the only reason to upgrade from 95 is to get more
> >>hardware drivers or USB support, which you don't need on your fixed
> >>laptop configuration.
> >>

> > I like your logic Mike, what you say makes a lot of sense! The 440CDT
> > does have a USB socket, which I would find useful in respect of using a
> > USB data stick - for which I believe I need Win98SE at least.
>
> WElll, if the thing came with a USB port, it shoulda come with a driver.
> Whether it works with usb flash sticks is another matter.

You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
(4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!
Which does make the case for ungrading to Win98se a stronger one I
suppose.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 3:15:34 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 3:15:44 PM

In article <41D34004.1080802@netscape.net>,
mike wrote ...

> >>If windows 95 is "100% reliable" don't even consider upgrading the OS.
> >>Outside of crashing, the only reason to upgrade from 95 is to get more
> >>hardware drivers or USB support, which you don't need on your fixed
> >>laptop configuration.
> >>

> > I like your logic Mike, what you say makes a lot of sense! The 440CDT
> > does have a USB socket, which I would find useful in respect of using a
> > USB data stick - for which I believe I need Win98SE at least.
>
> WElll, if the thing came with a USB port, it shoulda come with a driver.
> Whether it works with usb flash sticks is another matter.

You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
(4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!
Which does make the case for upgrading to Win98se a stronger one I
suppose.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 11:10:56 AM

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <41D2033D.5080408@neo.rr.com>,
> Barry Watzman wrote ...

>>> You might be able to run Windows 2000.
>>
>> Win 2K might run, but 98SE is a better OS for that particular
>> computer.
>>
> If I can source the parts at a reasonable cost the sensible way to go
> would seem Win98SE with extra memory and a larger HDD. Thanks for all
> your help and suggestions Barry, I do feel more confident in
> attempting the upgrade now.

As an additional data point, I have a 430CDT with 48MB RAM, the original
1.2GB HD, and it has run Win98SE admirably for six years with Office97
Pro as the major work application. One can only wish that today's
laptops were as reliable. Is is now a print server. I am constantly
amazed at the color quality on the LCD.

a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 4:21:37 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:49:33 PM

In article <9OWdnTWLyb4dIEvcRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
Quaoar wrote ...

> > If I can source the parts at a reasonable cost the sensible way to go
> > would seem Win98SE with extra memory and a larger HDD. Thanks for all
> > your help and suggestions Barry, I do feel more confident in
> > attempting the upgrade now.
>
> As an additional data point, I have a 430CDT with 48MB RAM, the original
> 1.2GB HD, and it has run Win98SE admirably for six years with Office97
> Pro as the major work application. One can only wish that today's
> laptops were as reliable. Is is now a print server. I am constantly
> amazed at the color quality on the LCD.

Thats interesting. My 440 at present only has 16MB of memory with
roughly the same size HDD, I think I might just be pushing it a bit
attempting a Win98SE upgrade as it is!

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:49:34 PM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:53:18 PM

In article <XvbBd.4357$2_4.599@okepread06>,
Cyclops wrote ...

> > You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
> > (4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!
> > Which does make the case for ungrading to Win98se a stronger one I
> > suppose.
>
> You used to be able to download the driver from Toshiba's support site,
> release of OSR2 wasn't originally set up to handle USB, it was added
> later, hence the additional drivers required.

I guess I've done without USB for so long that it isn't a big problem.
It would be a bonus however as part of a general upgrade, OS, HDD,
memory, etc.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2005 12:40:28 PM

In article <YwEBd.4437$2_4.742@okepread06>,
Cyclops wrote ...

> C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> > Thats interesting. My 440 at present only has 16MB of memory with
> > roughly the same size HDD, I think I might just be pushing it a bit
> > attempting a Win98SE upgrade as it is!
>
> I just dusted off my Toshiba 445CDT and installed Win98SE on it, it runs
> but does run a bit slowly. I do have a memory upgrade for it to boost
> to 32Mb, if you would like to buy it off me for $20 (lowest my wife says
> I can go) then I would certainly be happy to ship it out to you.

Thanks for your kind offer David, but if I'm going to open up the 440CDT
for upgrade I would prefer to leave it until I can find a larger (max I
believe is a 128Mb) card and a 6Gb HDD and fit the two in preparation
for Win98SE.

> BTW... Does your CDROM in the unit still work?

It certainly does. Everything is in excellent working order, which is
the main reason for my caution over any upgrade - "if it ain't broke,
don't try to fix it" keeps ringing around inside my head.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 4:34:23 AM

Changing the hard drive and memory really doesn't require "opening up"
the unit. Both are accessed easily without complete disassembly.

Also, you really don't need all that much memory for Windows 98SE, or
that big a drive. A 3 gig or 4 gig drive would be fine, and 32 to 48
megs of memory would be fine. Not that more isn't better, but don't
consuse essential with desireable. For that system, 48 megs is a LOT of
memory.

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
> In article <YwEBd.4437$2_4.742@okepread06>,
> Cyclops wrote ...

>>C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:
>>
>>>Thats interesting. My 440 at present only has 16MB of memory with
>>>roughly the same size HDD, I think I might just be pushing it a bit
>>>attempting a Win98SE upgrade as it is!
>>
>>I just dusted off my Toshiba 445CDT and installed Win98SE on it, it runs
>>but does run a bit slowly. I do have a memory upgrade for it to boost
>>to 32Mb, if you would like to buy it off me for $20 (lowest my wife says
>>I can go) then I would certainly be happy to ship it out to you.
>>

> Thanks for your kind offer David, but if I'm going to open up the 440CDT
> for upgrade I would prefer to leave it until I can find a larger (max I
> believe is a 128Mb) card and a 6Gb HDD and fit the two in preparation
> for Win98SE.
>

>>BTW... Does your CDROM in the unit still work?
>

> It certainly does. Everything is in excellent working order, which is
> the main reason for my caution over any upgrade - "if it ain't broke,
> don't try to fix it" keeps ringing around inside my head.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 12:48:46 PM

In article <41D8A1FF.5000900@neo.rr.com>,
Barry Watzman wrote ...

> > It certainly does. Everything is in excellent working order, which is
> > the main reason for my caution over any upgrade - "if it ain't broke,
> > don't try to fix it" keeps ringing around inside my head.
> >
> Changing the hard drive and memory really doesn't require "opening up"
> the unit. Both are accessed easily without complete disassembly.

I am a naturally clumsy person. I always get nervous even when doing the
simplest of jobs, more so when the job involves delicate components.

> Also, you really don't need all that much memory for Windows 98SE, or
> that big a drive. A 3 gig or 4 gig drive would be fine, and 32 to 48
> megs of memory would be fine. Not that more isn't better, but don't
> consuse essential with desireable. For that system, 48 megs is a LOT of
> memory.

Point taken Barry, and I will keep that in mind. I do feel that while
I'm about it I may as well go for the best configuration I can. Bearing
in mind the durability of the machine so far, I am hoping to extend its
usefulness for as long as possible.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 10:59:54 PM

C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
> You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
> (4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!

W95 didn't have USB support. USB appeared sometime in the middle of
the W95 era, IIRC. USB devices usually came with driver disks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 8:11:19 PM

In article <7xbrc5c091.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...

> C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
> > You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
> > (4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!
>
> W95 didn't have USB support. USB appeared sometime in the middle of
> the W95 era, IIRC. USB devices usually came with driver disks.

All the more reason to consider it odd that Toshiba fitted the 440CDT
with a USB socket and an OS that couldn't support it.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 8:37:29 AM

Hardware was being produced for USB for almost 2 years before there were
either USB devices or even OS support. Not just laptops, I bought some
motherboards in late 1995 that had onboard USB ports. They didn't even
have a rear panel connector, just headers. It was almost 2 years before
they could be used.

[The first USB support was in a "supplement" for Windows 95 OSR2 that
came out in very late 1996 or early 1997, still about a year before
Windows 98.]

C & C Antiques and Collectables wrote:

> In article <7xbrc5c091.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote ...
>

>>C & C Antiques and Collectables <noreply@thisfalse.com> writes:
>>
>>>You'd have thought so, but for some reason the version of Win95
>>>(4.00.950 B) that came with the 440 has no support for USB whatsoever!
>>
>>W95 didn't have USB support. USB appeared sometime in the middle of
>>the W95 era, IIRC. USB devices usually came with driver disks.
>>

> All the more reason to consider it odd that Toshiba fitted the 440CDT
> with a USB socket and an OS that couldn't support it.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 8:37:30 AM

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 9:10:32 PM

In article <41DB7DF2.10609@neo.rr.com>,
Barry Watzman wrote ...

> [The first USB support was in a "supplement" for Windows 95 OSR2 that
> came out in very late 1996 or early 1997, still about a year before
> Windows 98.]

I suppose I should be glad that Toshiba were forward thinking enough to
include a USB connection socket.It does make an upgrade of the old OS
more worth while.

--
Charlie

use "reply to" header for email
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 5:31:23 AM

Does anyone know how to access the extra memory slot? Where is it on
this thing? Thans in advance. :?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 1:11:24 PM

Thanks, Barry -

I will take a look.

- Gail (figglywig)

Barry Watzman wrote:
> I believe that it's located under the palmrest, and I think that you
> remove 3 screws to allow the hinged palmrest to be opened.
>

> figglywig wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to access the extra memory slot? Where is it
on
> > this thing? Thans in advance. :?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop