Sign in with
Your question

Quickbooks network hard drive

Last response: in Networking
April 23, 2010 10:54:22 AM

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to run a Quickbooks 2008 company file from a networked portable hard drive (via ethernet to a wireless router) while accessing it from 2 wireless windows xp notebooks. We want to be in a situation where all software is installed on our notebooks, but all files and data are on the portable hard drive, the network is up and running and all our software is working this way except for Quickbooks. Quickbooks keeps referring to the portable hard drive as a separate PC and insisting we install Quickbooks onto it (which I cant see is possible). Any suggestions is most welcome, please keep jargon to a minimum as i'm not the most computer-literate. Thanks
April 23, 2010 11:23:04 AM

Fr4n said:
Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to run a Quickbooks 2008 company file from a networked portable hard drive (via ethernet to a wireless router) while accessing it from 2 wireless windows xp notebooks. We want to be in a situation where all software is installed on our notebooks, but all files and data are on the portable hard drive, the network is up and running and all our software is working this way except for Quickbooks. Quickbooks keeps referring to the portable hard drive as a separate PC and insisting we install Quickbooks onto it (which I cant see is possible). Any suggestions is most welcome, please keep jargon to a minimum as i'm not the most computer-literate. Thanks

Assuming the programme stores its data in a different place from the installation files, that could be anywhere in the network so you need to find out where it is and move it to the external. Then, the individual installations in the notebooks need to be told where to look for those data. This certainly is true in the case of the Sage and MYOB accounting packages - the Intuit software in the laptops scasn the network to find the stored data.

Related resources
!