Will my CPU bottleneck my GPU?

InTents

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi, I am about to purchase the Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB Fermi. I was wondering if my CPU would bottleneck this GPU.

AMD ATHLON II Quad @ 2.6GHZ
Kingston 6GB DDR3
550W PSU
My resolution is 1920x1080 @ 60HZ

Any advice would be much appreciated. :D

flash_77

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
No, your CPU is not going to create any problem for your GPU. No need to panic for that.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 460 768MB-GDDR5 graphics card empowers DirectX-11 video games to deliver unmatched geometric realism at the $200 price point. Based on the same Fermi architecture that powers their high-end GeForce GTX 480 model, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 delivers mid-range performance for gamers on a budget.

Metro 2033 (1680x1050) - GTX 460 struggles to produce 25 FPS with DirectX-11 anti-aliasing turned two to its lowest setting.

But still it makes the game playable, but all the DX 9 & DX 10 games you can play with ease at your comfortable resolution of 1920x1080.

You are making a good choice under DX 11, so go for it.

2.6ghz is not fast enough to drive an upper mid range video card to it's fullest potential. It will run the card just fine, but the cards performance can and will improvement incrementally as CPU speed increases in mhz. But don't let that deter your plans to purchase the card. Buy the 460, you can always overclock, or even buy a faster CPU cheap enough if you feel the need.

A quad core at 2.6ghz will do fairly well with games that are highly multi-threaded and can take advantage all of the cores. The problem is that most games still can only use 2 cores which means that in those games you basically have the equivalent of a 2.6ghz dual core. That is alright but not particularly good and will certainly limit a GTX 460 in certain cpu intensive games. Like people have said though a simple overclock to 3ghz or preferably 3.3ghz+ will clear up any problem.