1 long 2 short post code, no video

ceax

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hey guys.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P mobo that i have had for about a year and a half, and up until a few months ago it had worked without error. Then i come home after a power outage and the computer was off. I tried to turn it on and after cycling on/off three times i get 1 long, followed by 2 short post beeps.

Nothing i have tried has worked! Ive tried a new video card(the original was a nvidia 9800gtx, the other video card tested was a 6800 gt). Ive switched out the original ram (2x2gb corsair xms), with new ocz 2x 2gb ram, and still the same error.

The only way ive made any difference in the start up process is to take out the cmos battery and then reseat it. At which point the system no longer cycles on/off three times before posting, but still gives me the 1 long 2 short post code. I read somewhere that the cmos battery may be dead??

Any help is appreciated

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Hi ceax. I have an MA790X-UD4P motherboard myself, and ran into a similar situation. Is there any chance you're using a USB keyboard with a PS-2 adapter?

When I first bought my MA790X-UD4P, I experienced random on/off cycling issues a month or so after the initial build. I had a similar issue with an MSI K9A2-CF F mobo that ended up "bricked" thanks to a fault in a BIOS update that somehow made keyboards cause power-cycling. So, when that cycling occurred, instead of going ahead with a standard tear down and piece-by-piece reassembly, I decided I'd just move my USB keyboard and mouse from PS-2 to USB first, figuring something similar to the K9A2-CF problem might be happening again. Turns out, that's exactly what was causing the problem. I never did get any beep codes, though.

I don't really know why I installed them on the PS-2 ports in the first place, especially considering the abundance of USB ports of the 790X-UD4P in comparison to the K9A2-CF board... (See here for a thread in which I also mentioned this problem, as well as USB keyboard issues that can be found with the MA785G-UD3H.)

By any chance have you attempted to boot with a video card installed in the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot, preferably a known good one? That and/or tried another monitor or tried your monitor with another PC?

ceax

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Yes i am aware of that sticky, but like i said the system was up and running prior to the current issues. And just in case the ram had randomly bricked itself or it was an issue with the slots, i had tried four different sticks one at a time in each of the slots (2 old but working sticks, and two brand new sticks.)

Nope the USB keyboard is in a USB slot.

Yea i tried two cards that were known to work, each one at a time in each slot.

I had read that but i was hoping that it wasn't the case, because i have tried two different cards and i get the same error on both.

Could it be an issue with the motherboard itself, possible the circuitry dealing with the video. If that be the case then i guess i am SOL and need a new board. But i would like to be more sure if that is the case. My other theory is that the psu isnt supplying the card(s) with enough power. Maybe?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If you're certain the cards work in another machine, then I'd have say the board is bad. I highly doubt it's a power issue.

If you're in the US, you could call Gigabyte Tech Support on Monday (1-626-854-9338) or file a support request ticket today here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=U.S.A.&SourceWeb=B2C

If you're absolutely certain the board is bad, then just head here and initiate a Gigabyte warranty RMA claim: http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

If you're not in the US, head to this site for instruction: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/customer-service.aspx
Though, if outside the US and UK, it'll probably tell you to contact the place of purchase.