Sign in with
Your question

PC won't boot-is it memory or new 3TB HDD

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2012 4:06:57 PM

Hi all,
This is the specs on my homebuilt sysem:
Windows 8 64-bit (downloaded December 2012- purchased from Microsoft-legit)
Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.1GHZ Sandy Bridge 3MB
G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory
Intel BOXDH67GDB3 H67 mATX LGA1155 DDR3 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI DVI DP Audio Motherboard
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD for booting to Windows 8
Western Digital green 640GB HDD
Western Digital green 1.5TB (2 HDDs)
Seagate 2TB HDD
OCZ ZT Series 550W Modular Power Supply

I've been running this sytem as an HTPC fine since August 2012 (using Windows 7 at that time until Win8 installed to SSD in December). I installed a Western Digital Red 3TB HDD on Monday (Dec.24). I initialized it as GPT and formatted it NTFS. In the computer, it showed as about 2.7TB available storage. As I bought it to consolidate my movies, I copied over about 1.3TB from one of the WD green 1.5TB HDD onto it. Copy went fine. It all seemed fiine until Tuesday, when the PC wouldn't boot. It powered on and I get 3 beeps and light blinks 3 times, paued, repeat same pattern. Looking at the manual for the Intel mobo, I see that sound/light pattern supposed to indicate bad memory (G.Skill). I think it's too coincidental though that I just installed the WD 3TB HDD. I unplugged the WD 3TB from the power and mobo but the computer still won't boot properly. I'm looking for guidance-should I be troubleshooting the WD 3TB installation or returning the memory to G.Skill? Should I have initialized the WD3TB as MBT instead (just wanting it for storage, not booting to).Any advice greatly appreciated. BTW-I'd say my level of expertise is between newbie and intermediate (just a hobby).

More about : boot memory 3tb hdd

a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 4:11:09 PM

Try to boot using one memory stick and then the other and see if you get the POST error. If one goes through, then it is definitely your RAM.
!