Sign in with
Your question

Sudden SSD-induced paranoia

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2012 4:55:28 PM

So I've just built my first system for two years. A Core i5 3570K/Asus Maximus V Gene combination with a 256Gb Samsung 830 as the system drive. Sadly, my ability to bask in the extra performance now available to me is being increasingly compromised by each article I read on SSDs. Apparently, they are such delicate beasts that the very act writing to them can result in immediate death. Theirs, not mine. I now find myself on the verge of following advice to reduce my pagefile size, relocate the temp files directory, disable the recycling bin and stop indexing. And it doesn't finish there.

Before I plunge myself into this hell, I'd just like to say that TRIM in Windows 7 seems to be working correctly. Do I really need to worry about the rest of it?

Steve
a c 504 G Storage
December 27, 2012 5:36:19 PM

ssilverm said:
Do I really need to worry about the rest of it?

No, you don't need to worry about the rest of it. Just disable defrag and use the SSD as you would a HDD.
You don't have to worry about drive longevity issues with current generation SSDs.

There are members at XtremeSystems.org who purchase SSDs and write data to them 24hrs a day until they fail.

Here's a link showing that a Samsung 830 256GB drive failed after writing 6,135TiB worth of data to it. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2710...

I don't know what you're going to be using your system for but it would take me a couple of decades to write 6,000 1TB drives worth of data to my drive. :D 
December 27, 2012 5:47:43 PM

Personally I always go through a checklist after installing windows:
- Disable Virtual Memory on system drive
- Disable maintenance (restore points, saves a few GB of space)
- Check if defragging is disabled (Usually Win7 will do this for you, it knows you have an SSD)
- Disable Superfetch etc.

The list might miss one or two things, but not that I can name off the top of my head. There's plenty of lists on google.

These things don't matter so much though, mostly shaving off a few GB from wasted space. Ti's quite nice.

But you don't need to worry so much.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 5:50:35 PM

Yes the above is completely correct, don't let the hype scare you, an average user will probably have to replace other components before the NAND in an SSD goes. Also as an aside, they recently announced that the NAND used in SSD's can be potentially repaired by heating them up (to a relatively high temp that is)! Pretty interesting, they actually incorporated "mini heaters" into the SSD to accomplish it. I think I saw the article on here, I can try and link it if anyone is interested.
December 28, 2012 7:59:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. Anxiety levels now returning to normal!

Steve
December 28, 2012 1:54:37 PM

Steve I've just bought one also and had the same problem, basically a lot of those articles on line are really old articles and I would take them with a massive pinch of salt. Personally all Ihave done with my Intel 330 is turn off defrag, confirmed TRIM was on, confirmed the alignment was correct and turned off system restore.

System restore is more of a preference for me that anything I just tend to not use it as I take periodic ghost images of my system anyway because I've never used system restore to any level of success ever and always ended up rebuilding my machine anyway.
!