New build cheap gaming

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I wanna get a new computer that will be capable of playing games and running several torrent and media applications, i dont mind buying a few upgrades a year or two down the road but i dont wanna replace the whole system in a year or so. I was looking into a company based on ebay that even does the building for you and i was gonna get an AMD phenom II x2 545 dual core with the ASrock motherboard they pair it with(prob the cheapest one with HDMI) and 8gb of ram, and 1tb harddrive, and prob an nvidia geforce gt 240 1gb ddr3
is that a good setup itll be a complete system including the case and such i think its the BCC voyager

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
there is only the option to go with 4 or 8gb no 6 otherwise i would do that but like i said i would like it to last longer and more ram = more computing power so y not but i was looking to play (for now) Aion, and two worlds 2(when it comes out) on high settings dosnt need to be max and for now a crap monitor used to be a tv or a my 19 inch hdtv if i can get my sister to give it back if not then ill prob buy like a 21 or 22 inch hd lcd monitor after xmas thanks for the quick reply

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I wan to keep it under 600 preferably 500 because i would to get it asap but is the processsor at least a good one the place i found has very good prices for a complete build and it i dropped the ram to 6gb or even 4gb i would open up about 80 bucks for upgrading other parts, video card, motherboard etc. if none of the parts i listed are good at all i can build it myself i would just prefer to have it professionally done as i have never done a build from scratch before and there is a wide variety of parts to choose from from this company

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
and could someone point me to a thread on video cards because before i thought it was all about the memory the card has but obviously im wrong seeing as the gt 240 is a 1gb and the GTX 460 is 756mb

In the $5xx range you could get a pretty decent gaming rig with carefully picked ut parts and combos :p
untitled-773.jpg

Also over a spread of current and incoming gaming titles i wouldn't go for dual cores in agreement with
Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: August 2010
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-760-core-i7-970,2698-2.html
We can no longer ignore the advantage three processor cores offer in a gaming environment, so even though the lowest-priced triple-core Athlon II we can find is $70, that's our new bottom-end recommendation.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
If you're in the US, then you can order these from Newegg.com. Just ordering the listed combo deals will get you the discounts, but you may not get the best possible parts in the bargain.

Go with the CPU Batuchka linked - Athlon II X3 445

Please change the Biostar Motherboard to Asus/Gigabyte/Asrock/MSI - ASRock 770 EXTREME3 - With USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, eSATA 6GB/s.

& that deformed NZXT case to the one I use - COOLER MASTER Elite 310

Much faster RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB)

The rest of the parts look alright. The following changes are optional -

HDD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3

ODD : LG SATA DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
what about the rosewill challenger its 5 bucks more but has 3 more installed fans and also what else to i need to build a desktop i have never done it before and i dont know what else i need

What i have
motherboard
processor
ram
graphics card
power supply
case
dvd/cd drive
harddrive

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The Rosewill challenger's a very good case for it's price. Get it if you want to. That combo looks fantastic with $25 off.

You asked 'bout Palit as a brand. They do pretty well for themselves. Personally I prefer EVGA for NVidia & Sapphire for ATI. Asus/Giga/XFX/MSI & also PowerColor/Zotac etc are not half bad.

I wouldn't worry too much 'bout a Palit, but if you're not too sure, you might as well get a - $230 EVGA GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - This superclocked version costs only $10 more than the stock version. So no reason not to go for it, especially since it doesn't sound like you're gonna be OC'ing your GPU any time soon :)

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
that one is actually 240 and the palit overclocked verison is the same price and has higher core clock speeds and shader clock speeds but would it be better to get the evga just because of the brand

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
someone also recommended the AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core would this be better or worse than the triple core recommended earlier and he paired this with a
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support in case i felt the need to crossfire in the future would this be comprable to the gtx 460 im exploring all options here
thanks for the help

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
is the gigabyte gtx 460 comparable to the palit it would save me like and xtra 40 bucks because of combos and mail in rebates it has a higher clock speed than the palit and it has 2 fans

ocsurfz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
and what about the rosewill tu-155 it apparently used to cost 80 bucks and its 40 now the only thing that worries me is it only has one 80mm fan but its bigger and looks sick compared to the challenger

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
There are only 2 Rosewill TU-155's. The one with a PSU costs 70 & the one without it costs $50 + $10 shipping. Rosewill Cases (& PSU's, I might add) are pretty alright, so you might as well go with it if it catches your fancy.

The Gigabyte GPU does have some adverse feedback, but then every product will always have that. No matter which brand. It's also technically a shade faster. So might as well go with it especially if you can get some savings.

Do make sure, that you get an extra 4 Pin Molex to 6 Pin PCIe connector. Costs just a few bucks.

OCZ does have a few adverse reviews on it's RAM's of late. I dunno if it's just a bad bunch or if there's something more to it. Personally I think it's just people leaving the settings on auto when they should be manually inputting 'em. But still, I think going with Corsair/G.Skill/Kingston/Mushkin for now till the issues get sorted out is prolly the way to go.