Sign in with
Your question

Maximus IV Gene Z or P8Z68-V PRO

Last response: in Motherboards
August 7, 2011 3:51:15 PM

Hey,
The title of the thread says it all really, I'm getting a core i5 2500k in a week or so and was wondering which motherboard to get.
I was leaning towards Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 after looking at the features (and also because it looks awesome :p ) but I looked through the reviews and read horror stories about the boot loop so that really put me off to Gigabyte. So I'm confused between Asus P8Z68-V Pro and Asus Maximus IV Gene Z now, my case is a HAF 912 Advanced and can fit both these boards so size isn't an issue. I don't plan on putting more than 2 GPUs, I have a HD 5670 right now but I'll upgrade it to a HD 6970 in a month or two.

I'm looking to overclock a little, don't plan on pushing it past 4.6 ghz so I was wondering which board to get. So I'd really like your feedback. If you want to suggest a different board then go ahead but make sure it's not a Gigabyte and in the same price range.

More about : maximus gene p8z68 pro

August 8, 2011 5:41:39 PM

No one has any opinions?
m
l
August 9, 2011 2:54:16 PM

r1ahul said:
Hey,
The title of the thread says it all really, I'm getting a core i5 2500k in a week or so and was wondering which motherboard to get.
I was leaning towards Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 after looking at the features (and also because it looks awesome :p ) but I looked through the reviews and read horror stories about the boot loop so that really put me off to Gigabyte. So I'm confused between Asus P8Z68-V Pro and Asus Maximus IV Gene Z now, my case is a HAF 912 Advanced and can fit both these boards so size isn't an issue. I don't plan on putting more than 2 GPUs, I have a HD 5670 right now but I'll upgrade it to a HD 6970 in a month or two.

I'm looking to overclock a little, don't plan on pushing it past 4.6 ghz so I was wondering which board to get. So I'd really like your feedback. If you want to suggest a different board then go ahead but make sure it's not a Gigabyte and in the same price range.

You may want to take a look at the Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 or if you are looking for one a little more features wise there is also the ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3.

The Asrock Extreme4 was a Tom’s Hardware 2011 Recommended Buy, adn the Gen3 version of it is updated with Ivy Bridge support and PCIe 3.0 support. It is a little more future proofed than others. The only

Me personally I am waiting for the Asrock Extreme7 Gen3
for the slight future-proofing and the support for xfire/sli in 16x/16x mode or 3-way at 16x/8x/8x in case I decide to go and do something crazy for running 3 monitors.
m
l
!