Sign in with
Your question

Prebuilt gaming pc which to go for?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 17, 2010 9:49:55 PM

Hi, Im from the uk and I have been looking for a budget pc within the price range of £700 or less
not being that technical and having never built a pc from scratch before I thought id look for a decent prebuilt one that may have good potential to upgrade.
Potentially I would like to play new gen games like final fantasy 14, but can cope with not having the best graphics etc
I have a 22 inch tv/monitor.
The two builds im thinking about are: (..In the reply below the links did not work :( ...)

So just wondered which would be best
Unless any other suggestions

More about : prebuilt gaming

September 17, 2010 9:58:38 PM

Sorry, but the links seem not to work. I just get to the basic site, and find multiple versions of the xfire model, and none for the shpro version.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 17, 2010 10:04:33 PM

thanks had not realised here are the two builds
The irush pro (cost 680-690)

Technical Specification
Processor
Description Intel Core i5 760 CPU
Cache 8MB
Clockspeed 2.8GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Memory
Description 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Speed 1333Mhz
Harddrive
Description 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Interface SATA
Case
Description Antec Three Hundred Case
Colour Black
Dimensions 45.8cm (H) x 46.5cm (D) x 20.5cm (W)
Drive Bays 3 1/2" 6
Drive Bays 5 1/4" 3
Form Factor ATX
Optical Drives
Description 22x DVD Writer
Interface SATA
Graphics
Description ATI Radeon 5770 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics
Power Supply
Description 750w ATX Power Supply
Wattage / Rating 750W
Motherboard
Form Factor Micro ATX
CPU Support Intel Socket 1156 Core i7 Processor/Core i5 Processor/Core i3 Processor/ Pentium Processors
Chipset Intel H55 Express Chipset
Audio Realtek ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
IO 1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Combo port
1 x S/PDIF Out (Optical)
1 x LAN(RJ45) port
6 x USB 2.0/1.1
3 x Jack (8-channel) Audio I/O
LAN Gigabit LAN
Socket Type 1156
USB 12
SATA Ports 6
IDE Ports 1
PCI 1
PCI-EX 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s, gray slots)
Memory Slots 4
Max Memory Capacity 16GB
Accessories Included
Keyboard & Mouse
Description Corded Mouse PS2 / USB
Description Corded Keyboard - USB

The xfire (cost about £660)
Technical Specification
Processor
Description AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955
Architecture Features 65nm
Cache 8mb
Clockspeed 3.20Ghz
Manufacturer AMD
Memory
Description 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Speed 1333Mhz
Harddrive
Description 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Interface SATA
Case
Description Antec Three Hundred Case
Colour Black
Dimensions 45.8cm (H) x 46.5cm (D) x 20.5cm (W)
Drive Bays 3 1/2" 6
Drive Bays 5 1/4" 3
Form Factor ATX
Optical Drives
Description 22x DVD Writer
Interface SATA
Graphics
Description ATI Radeon 5750 1024MB GDDR5
Power Supply
Description OCZ StealthXStream2 700W Power Supply
Wattage / Rating 700w
Motherboard
Chipset AMD 880G + SB710 Motherboard
Audio 7.1 channel HD Audio
IO 1 x PS/2 keyboard port
1 x VGA port
1 x DVI-D port
1 x eSATA port
1 x Audio jack supports 6 jacks
6 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x RJ45 LAN jack
1 x HDMI port
LAN Gigabit LAN
Socket Type Socket AM3
USB 6
E-SATA 1
RAID RAID 0, 1, 10
SATA Ports 5
IDE Ports 0
PCI 1
PCI-EX 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
Max FSB Dual channel DDR3 1600(oc)/1333/1066
Memory Slots 4
Max Memory Capacity 16GB

Il fingers cross this ok to read :) 
Related resources
September 18, 2010 12:36:40 AM

Oh, a bit hard to read, but not impossible. The configurations are pretty much the same with the following exceptions, irush -vs xfire:
CPU: Intel -vs- AMD. Get the Intel.

Mobo: both are no-name, so no compare. xfire gets points off on principal, because there is only 1 PCIe slot, and no way to add a second card to cross fire. The irush board is the same way, so take points off for both. Let's move on, lest I digress into a speech about how you should build your own to get a better machine and have a richer experience overall.

Graphics: 5770 -vs- 5750. Get the faster card. Both will play games, neither really well, get the most GPU you can afford.

PSU: 750 Watt no name vs 700 Watt OCZ Stealth. No name power supplies scare me. The OCZ Stealth is not great, but quite acceptable. Advantage xfire on this one.

So, the final score is irush 2, xfire 1. Spend the extra 20 to 30 quid and get the irush.

Or post this form, and we'll help you choose the parts for your own build: How to ask for build advice. Just talked a 14 year old through his first assembly, and he is extremely pleased. (Sorry, couldnt help myself)
a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2010 3:25:36 AM

^+1 to Obsidian. That's nice that they pre-overclocked those systems. If it's just gaming you're doing them go with the "Titan" build and add in a GTX 460. If you do alot of video encoding that can make use of 6 cores then go with the "Primo" build, also with a GTX 460.

Of your two choices originally offered I would just go with that Intel build.
September 18, 2010 10:45:39 AM

Frostbite, you didn't mention operating system in either of the configurations. Is it included in the price for the configs that you provided? If not, then either of obsidian86's two options are much more attractive. Both chooices have better memory, much better power supplies and after market heat sinks (and the Titan Fenrir is a good model).

Agree with megamanx00's assessment on the graphics - go with the GTX460. Even thouth it is the 768 MB version, it is still better than the 5770.

Between the Titan and the Primo, I would select the Titan becasue the motherboard is better, and the i5-760 is adequate for gaming. Unless you really need the horsepower of a hex core, go with the Titan.

a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2010 2:16:45 PM

While waiting for a SSD for my HD5770 system, I've been playing my games at 1920x1080 on a HD4850 just fine. I don't play current FPS titles, but I have settings maxed and FPS is still pegged at 60. Don't get swallowed up in the hype that says you need a
$200+ GPU to play games; it simply isn't true, especially if you're willing to lower some settings.
Whether or not you think it's sad, the fact remains that an i5/750 quadcore outperforms an AMD hexacore in most tests, and some by a substantial margin: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=109 (and, you're looking at the even faster 760). My old Q9450 is slower everywhere else, but it beats the newer hexacore in games. I do happen to think it's sad, but at your budget, AMD is left behind.
Don't get a no-name PSU; just...don't.
If you do not wish to build your own, the links Obsidian provided looked good. Otherwise, there's loads of material online on how to do it, starting with these forums. There are a lot of Youtube vids of builds also.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 19, 2010 11:34:23 AM

Thanks evey1 for the help. I think it is defo the case I need to look furthur into it this.
I would perfer to get value for money.

Seems it keeps coming back to building own :)  Suppose just a bit worried over spending money on parts and finding that iv choose something wrong that wont work with the others. Or not knowing which brands are more realible then others.

Anyway Il get down the route of more looking in to it. Starting with those sugestions ;) .

Thanks again

a b 4 Gaming
September 19, 2010 1:51:31 PM

If you decide to build your own, these forums are full of people who will be happy to help you choose your parts, or confirm that they'll work together. In fact, the biggest problem you may have is that the community may niggle the build to death before the first part is even ordered!
!