Possible power supply issue or something more? please please help

rmac

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello. I've been on sabbatical of building rigs, as this is the first I've been in several years completely from scratch. I built it, it posted fine, I though I was on my merry way. I left it for roughly two hours, when I went to power it back up, there was a delay, then continuous.. almost grinding.. beeps, but it continued to boot, and emitted a burning odor.

I promptly powered down, waited a minute, then tried to reboot again. This time, it posted and booted fine, emits no odor while I'm using it, nor do I notice any decrease in performance or any errors. I ran prime95 for a little bit just to see, and my cpu is only between 30-40c so it's not that, nor is it the memory, as the heatsinks are cool to the touch. I don't have a dedicated graphics card yet in the system.

According to Gigabyte, a continuous beep has something to with the graphics card. I'm really worried simply because I've never run into this situation before, and I've scavenged the forums looking for a similar issue. I'm at stock clock speeds.

Specs are as follows:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
OCZ Platinum 8GB (4x2gb) model OCZ3P1333LV4GK cl7 manually set at 1333

Thanks in advance!

rmac

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
The system temp was at 30c and CPU at 40c on prime95. Unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment to check the gpu temp, but being onboard I can't imagine it running too hot. I checked the gigabyte website for BIOS updates, apparently I wasn't at the latest version, but I still haven't had the time to attempt to replicate the conditions. The case fans appear to be working correctly, though the BIOS update said "Fixes AMD cool and quiet issue." I'll be able to give further input later today in a couple of hours.

rmac

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Alright, before I left for work today, I updated the BIOS to the latest version. It's been approximately 6 hours, and it booted with no issue. This leads me to think it was the older BIOS, or perhaps I tweaked a setting that made a difference in the boot (Although I did skim through it several times to see if I had done something that could have caused any issues.) Thanks venjhammet, hopefully this resolves my issue.

if it were my PC, i would isolate where that burning smell came from, its never good. Something definitely got fried. whith the PC off, stick your nose where the PSU exhaust fan is an smell if it is burnt, if not, move onto the motherboard and look for any burnt out components.

rmac

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Just an update, also, thanks to everyone who offered help.

I ran through my BIOS to check for any faulty settings, apparently, I had a CPU Fan warning enabled, which could have been the culprit, as the beeping was definitely what I would consider an abnormal BIOS beep (it was more of a long grinding beep sound, but was coming from the speaker), and also I had my values at default settings through the motherboard, my RAM was rated to run at 1.65v but was set to 1.5v, I think this may have caused the issue, I suppose 0.15v might cause instability issues on occasion.

I overclocked the 1055t to 3.5ghz, just to get nice rounded even stable values, and currently at full load under prime95, only reach 43c on Gigabytes Easy Tuner. I've read somewhere that this processor tends to read 10 degrees lower than it actually is, so I downloaded CoreTemp, which rated it at 33c (which would make up the 10 degree difference? I can't imagine two softwares stating 33 and 43, but having it actually be 53).

Ran Prime95 for about an hour, no problems, and no apparent instability issues, and left it off overnight to have it boot without an issue. Also, I believe the burning smell might not actually have been burning, a lot of people insist that brand new parts might have excess grease or plastic to heat up, and give off an odor much like the new car smell cars have.

If this smell happens to continue for over two weeks or so, I'll thoroughly re-investigate the components, and if I no longer experience beep issues, I'll no longer report them.

Thanks again!