Windows XP - OEM is now out of business.

Hi - please forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I can only say that it
appeared to be the best option when I scanned the list.

Problem: my computer supplier has gone bust, ceased trading and is out of
business. My Windows XP Pro is an OEM version.
1 - is there anything I can do short of purchasing XP Pro again?

and

2 - I have just whacked in a new hard drive to the 'pooter. It seems far
superior in many respects to the ones that came with the computer in the
first place. What I'd like to do is use tthe new drive as Windows disk C:

I guess if I had the installable media I could do so or at least have a try.
As I only have a Retsore disk I wondered if there is any way to effect a
restore to the new drive rather than the one that XP was originally set-up on?

Thank you in advance - if I have posted in the wrong place please provide a
prod in the right direction and I'll tootle of down there

addendum #1

I've just seen the link about how to obtain Windows XP setup disks. Would
they help?

"deebs" <spoofed@spooked.com> wrote in message
> Hi - please forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I can only say that it
> appeared to be the best option when I scanned the list.
>
> Problem: my computer supplier has gone bust, ceased trading and is out of
> business. My Windows XP Pro is an OEM version.
> 1 - is there anything I can do short of purchasing XP Pro again?
>
> and
>
> 2 - I have just whacked in a new hard drive to the 'pooter. It seems far
> superior in many respects to the ones that came with the computer in the
> first place. What I'd like to do is use tthe new drive as Windows disk C:
>
> I guess if I had the installable media I could do so or at least have a
> try.
> As I only have a Retsore disk I wondered if there is any way to effect a
> restore to the new drive rather than the one that XP was originally set-up
> on?
>
> Thank you in advance - if I have posted in the wrong place please provide
> prod in the right direction and I'll tootle of down there

1> Far as I know you are out of luck.

2> Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their
installation software. You should be able to use it to copy your existing
hard drive to the new one. Once the copy is working you can erase the old
one. Alternatively you could purchase a product like Acronis True Image or
Norton Ghost to acheive the same end.

Kerry

Thanks for your reply Kerry - it is appreciated.

This installation of the new hard drive did indeed ask if it was to be the
new 'C:'

In light of my relative newness to all things XP, no support from OEM and a
modest dash of excitement to see how the new drive worked meant I chose not
to.

All being well I'll put another one in tomorrow and exercise the option of
making it disk 1 and 'C:'

Thank you once again

deebs

> Thanks for your reply Kerry - it is appreciated.
>
> This installation of the new hard drive did indeed ask if it was to be the
> new 'C:'
>
> In light of my relative newness to all things XP, no support from OEM and
> modest dash of excitement to see how the new drive worked meant I chose
> not
> to.
>
> All being well I'll put another one in tomorrow and exercise the option of
> making it disk 1 and 'C:'
>
> Thank you once again
>

> deebs

Your welcome. Post back if you have any problems.

Kerry

>> 1> Far as I know you are out of luck.
>>
>> 2> Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their
>> installation software. You should be able to use it to copy your existing
>> hard drive to the new one. Once the copy is working you can erase the old
>> one. Alternatively you could purchase a product like Acronis True Image
>> or
>> Norton Ghost to acheive the same end.
>>
>> Kerry

> Your welcome. Post back if you have any problems.
>
> Kerry

Yes please Kerry - a thought does spring to mind.

If (emphasis on the I and F in IF) all goes well the 'pooter will be a 4
SATA based system with a pair of Seagate Barracudas 250 GB with 8 MB
cache and a pair of WD 250 GB 2 MB cache.

At present my aim is:
disk 1: (Seagate) Windows C: and program files
disk X: My ordinary data (probably a WD disk) eg My Documents less My
Pictures and Windows Page File (Max & min set to 2 Gib = twice RAM)

disk Y: My Pictures (probably a WD) with scratch disk for a vector
imaging program

disk Z: temporary archive for work just out of progress and archived
image data using a convoltued system of my own with scratch disk for a
pixel pushing digital imaging program

Is it better to move My Documents and My Pictures by relocating them or
to leave them where they are on C: and use a different folder/file
structure?

One thing that impressed me with the 3rd drive is a reasonable and
perceptive swiftness in running programs where Windows Page File is on
D: and Photoshop scratch disk on hard disk 3.

deebs

> > Your welcome. Post back if you have any problems.
>>
>> Kerry
>>

> Yes please Kerry - a thought does spring to mind.
>
> If (emphasis on the I and F in IF) all goes well the 'pooter will be a 4
> SATA based system with a pair of Seagate Barracudas 250 GB with 8 MB cache
> and a pair of WD 250 GB 2 MB cache.
>
> At present my aim is:
> disk 1: (Seagate) Windows C: and program files
> disk X: My ordinary data (probably a WD disk) eg My Documents less My
> Pictures and Windows Page File (Max & min set to 2 Gib = twice RAM)
>
> disk Y: My Pictures (probably a WD) with scratch disk for a vector imaging
> program
>
> disk Z: temporary archive for work just out of progress and archived image
> data using a convoltued system of my own with scratch disk for a pixel
> pushing digital imaging program
>
> Is it better to move My Documents and My Pictures by relocating them or to
> leave them where they are on C: and use a different folder/file structure?
>
> One thing that impressed me with the 3rd drive is a reasonable and
> perceptive swiftness in running programs where Windows Page File is on D:
> and Photoshop scratch disk on hard disk 3.
>
> deebs

It's personal preference and what works for you. With that much drive space
you can pretty much arrange things however you want. Some people say a small
partition dedicated to the page file is best. Personally on systems with 1
GB of ram I don't notice much of a difference caused by the page file. I
don't use photoshop. I use Paint Shop Pro, mostly with smaller files from
3.2 and 4.0 megapixel cameras. With larger files you would have to
experiment and see what works best with your system. It will be hard to back
up that much data. You may want to look at some of the low cost network
storage devices for backup. The other alternative is multiple USB drives.

Kerry Brown wrote:

> It's personal preference and what works for you. With that much drive space
> you can pretty much arrange things however you want. Some people say a small
> partition dedicated to the page file is best. Personally on systems with 1
> GB of ram I don't notice much of a difference caused by the page file. I
> don't use photoshop. I use Paint Shop Pro, mostly with smaller files from
> 3.2 and 4.0 megapixel cameras. With larger files you would have to
> experiment and see what works best with your system. It will be hard to back
> up that much data. You may want to look at some of the low cost network
> storage devices for backup. The other alternative is multiple USB drives.

Dear Kerry

The new disk is in place and Windows XP SP2 is running sweet-de-sweet.
However, think Office 2003 has a little bit of indigestion. Word tries
to install, gives a message about insert the disk and 'repair' the Word
opens with all my most recently used file list intact. Email works fine
and dandy as does the Internet. Thank you very much for a prod in the
correct direction.

(I guess it is activation stuff on Office, I dread starting any of the
Adobe Suite stuff as I am sure it will promptly do something naughty.
Apparently the activation monitoring has a very slight trigger. But
hey-ho, such is life)

with kind regards as always

deebs

> By way of a thank you

Thank you, but please don't send attachments to a text newsgroup. Many
people reading this group are on dial up connections.

Once again, thanks.

Kerry

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:12:03 -0700, deebs wrote:

> Hi - please forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I can only say that it
> appeared to be the best option when I scanned the list.
>
> Problem: my computer supplier has gone bust, ceased trading and is out of
> business. My Windows XP Pro is an OEM version.
> 1 - is there anything I can do short of purchasing XP Pro again?
>
> and
>
> 2 - I have just whacked in a new hard drive to the 'pooter. It seems far
> superior in many respects to the ones that came with the computer in the
> first place. What I'd like to do is use tthe new drive as Windows disk C:
>
> I guess if I had the installable media I could do so or at least have a try.
> As I only have a Retsore disk I wondered if there is any way to effect a
> restore to the new drive rather than the one that XP was originally set-up on?
>
> Thank you in advance - if I have posted in the wrong place please provide a
> prod in the right direction and I'll tootle of down there

1) Did they give you an OEM disc for reinstalling Windows? Just replacing a
hard drive is not, in my opinion, enough of a change to make the OEM
license invalid. Unless they gave you a restore/recovery program (instead
of generic OEM install CD), you could still use it with this system. If
down the line you start upgrading processor and motherboard, then you'll
need to purchase another copy of XP.

2) Most drives come with a tool that help you replace the main drive. Folks
report varying degrees of success with them. I used WD's Data Lifeguard
Tools last year for this and had good results. It's been a while but what I
did was check the version of tools on the CD against what was at the WD
site. Same versions so used the CD and ran WD's tools to transfer operating
system.

The only part that I thought was confusing is that new drive was named
"Local drive D [d:\]" during the copying stages. When you pull out the
drive and place it in master position (aiming for a C: designation), the
first boot shows the drive as "Local Drive D [c:\]." The tools took care of
changing the drive letter so all paths would resolve as expected. To
finish, renamed "Local Drive D" to something less confusing since it
certainly wasn't D anymore!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F wrote:

> 1) Did they give you an OEM disc for reinstalling Windows? Just replacing a
> hard drive is not, in my opinion, enough of a change to make the OEM
> license invalid. Unless they gave you a restore/recovery program (instead
> of generic OEM install CD), you could still use it with this system. If
> down the line you start upgrading processor and motherboard, then you'll
> need to purchase another copy of XP.
>
> 2) Most drives come with a tool that help you replace the main drive. Folks
> report varying degrees of success with them. I used WD's Data Lifeguard
> Tools last year for this and had good results. It's been a while but what I
> did was check the version of tools on the CD against what was at the WD
> site. Same versions so used the CD and ran WD's tools to transfer operating
> system.
>
> The only part that I thought was confusing is that new drive was named
> "Local drive D [d:\]" during the copying stages. When you pull out the
> drive and place it in master position (aiming for a C: designation), the
> first boot shows the drive as "Local Drive D [c:\]." The tools took care of
> changing the drive letter so all paths would resolve as expected. To
> finish, renamed "Local Drive D" to something less confusing since it
> certainly wasn't D anymore!

Hi Sharon

It really went quite OK (I think) - plugged in the new drive and chose
to transfer every thing from old C: to new C: The software seemed to
handle it very well indeed. I used Seagate 250 GB SATAs with 8 MB RAM
and they are far far quieter than almost any other computer I have used.

But the real reason I am grateful for your reply is: Shell related matters.

My Documents: I would like to take these from C: and put them on D:
preferably without upsetting the Shell too much

My Pictures: I would like to move these from C:\...%...% to E: and
again not upset the Shell too much at all.

Is it do-able? What do you think are the best options

Sharon F wrote:

> 1) Did they give you an OEM disc for reinstalling Windows?
OEM Restore disk "T-REX" version 1.7 Restore CD
I had a look at validation website and it seemed to suggest a branded XP
CD as well but one of those was not supplied.

And then I have a RELOAD backup CD, version 0.4 and bar coded but it
weighs in at 0 bytes (ie it's blank). The reflective side of the disk
has not been near a CD writer by the look of it.

Mobo and CPU?
I think I'll stick with these until AMD multicore CPUs become a bit more
mainstream

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:32:35 +0100, deebs wrote:

> Sharon F wrote:
>
>> 1) Did they give you an OEM disc for reinstalling Windows?
> OEM Restore disk "T-REX" version 1.7 Restore CD
> I had a look at validation website and it seemed to suggest a branded XP
> CD as well but one of those was not supplied.
>
> And then I have a RELOAD backup CD, version 0.4 and bar coded but it
> weighs in at 0 bytes (ie it's blank). The reflective side of the disk
> has not been near a CD writer by the look of it.
>
> Mobo and CPU?
> I think I'll stick with these until AMD multicore CPUs become a bit more
> mainstream

I don't know. That's not a company that I'm familiar with. It sounds like
they have a 'create a cd" utility that could be used to create a restore
set on CD. Sometimes those CDs are just boot files and then the files that
actually do the work are on a partition of the hard drive. That partition
may be easily visible or it may be hidden.

Anyhow, you have everything transferred and working. Now might be a good
time to look at some imaging software such as Acronis' True Image or
similar. Use the software to get an image of the hard drive in this working
condition and store it. Then use that image as your "recovery" method.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

To relocate My documents folder, see

http://support.microsoft.com/?ie=UTF-8&kbid=310147

"deebs" wrote:

> Sharon F wrote:
>
> > 1) Did they give you an OEM disc for reinstalling Windows? Just replacing a
> > hard drive is not, in my opinion, enough of a change to make the OEM
> > license invalid. Unless they gave you a restore/recovery program (instead
> > of generic OEM install CD), you could still use it with this system. If
> > down the line you start upgrading processor and motherboard, then you'll
> > need to purchase another copy of XP.
> >
> > 2) Most drives come with a tool that help you replace the main drive. Folks
> > report varying degrees of success with them. I used WD's Data Lifeguard
> > Tools last year for this and had good results. It's been a while but what I
> > did was check the version of tools on the CD against what was at the WD
> > site. Same versions so used the CD and ran WD's tools to transfer operating
> > system.
> >
> > The only part that I thought was confusing is that new drive was named
> > "Local drive D [d:\]" during the copying stages. When you pull out the
> > drive and place it in master position (aiming for a C: designation), the
> > first boot shows the drive as "Local Drive D [c:\]." The tools took care of
> > changing the drive letter so all paths would resolve as expected. To
> > finish, renamed "Local Drive D" to something less confusing since it
> > certainly wasn't D anymore!
> >

> Hi Sharon
>
> It really went quite OK (I think) - plugged in the new drive and chose
> to transfer every thing from old C: to new C: The software seemed to
> handle it very well indeed. I used Seagate 250 GB SATAs with 8 MB RAM
> and they are far far quieter than almost any other computer I have used.
>
> But the real reason I am grateful for your reply is: Shell related matters.
>
> My Documents: I would like to take these from C: and put them on D:
> preferably without upsetting the Shell too much
>
> My Pictures: I would like to move these from C:\...%...% to E: and
> again not upset the Shell too much at all.
>
> Is it do-able? What do you think are the best options

TRENDING THREADS