Your question

Best way to stop HDD noise?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Cases
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2012 8:19:19 PM

My case is just a cheap coolmaster with metal mounts, I would love to keep the noise down when it seeks but don't know how to. I have heard of these silicon mounts that you put in a 5.5 inch bay but then I won't have any fan airflow going over them, so what would you suggest?

More about : stop hdd noise

December 27, 2012 10:33:14 PM

bump
m
l
a b G Storage
December 27, 2012 10:45:13 PM

Hi :) 

Hard drives make very little noise, unless its starting to fail, when you hear a CLICKING noise...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 10:55:30 PM

Mounts will help you isolate vibrations from the drive motor and disk rotation - they won't help you with head noise from seeking. Not much you can do about that except buy a quieter drive or insulate the case.
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:57:36 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Hard drives make very little noise, unless its starting to fail, when you hear a CLICKING noise...

All the best Brett :) 

Made the same noise for 6 months, it is just when it is seeking I can hear it, I need something to stop it vibrating the case, when I touch it I can feel it vibrate so much.
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:59:23 PM

redtailed said:
Mounts will help you isolate vibrations from the drive motor and disk rotation - they won't help you with head noise from seeking. Not much you can do about that except buy a quieter drive or insulate the case.

When it seeks, it vibrates against the case, this is what I am hearing, need to stop it, at the moment it is just slid onto a metal mount really tightly.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 28, 2012 12:10:01 AM

Did that work? I've used little o-rings from the hardware store in my 3.5" mounts to cut noise. Cheap cases are the pits....
m
l
December 28, 2012 12:11:15 AM

Just some rubber washers between the drive and mount to isolate the vibration. Can't really tell if that is a solution without seeing the case/drive bay mount.
m
l
December 28, 2012 12:33:17 AM

I suspended my HDD once using elastic attached to the HDD using 4 screws and then tying the ends to the HDD bay. It did noticeably cut down on the noise, but I move my PC a lot and it was kind of a hassle to keep taking it out and putting it back in.
Check out these peoples setups: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19...
m
l
!