Best way to stop HDD noise?

My case is just a cheap coolmaster with metal mounts, I would love to keep the noise down when it seeks but don't know how to. I have heard of these silicon mounts that you put in a 5.5 inch bay but then I won't have any fan airflow going over them, so what would you suggest?
8 answers Last reply
More about best stop noise
  1. Hi :)

Hard drives make very little noise, unless its starting to fail, when you hear a CLICKING noise...

All the best Brett :)
  2. Mounts will help you isolate vibrations from the drive motor and disk rotation - they won't help you with head noise from seeking. Not much you can do about that except buy a quieter drive or insulate the case.
  3. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

Hard drives make very little noise, unless its starting to fail, when you hear a CLICKING noise...

All the best Brett :)

Made the same noise for 6 months, it is just when it is seeking I can hear it, I need something to stop it vibrating the case, when I touch it I can feel it vibrate so much.
  4. redtailed said:
    Mounts will help you isolate vibrations from the drive motor and disk rotation - they won't help you with head noise from seeking. Not much you can do about that except buy a quieter drive or insulate the case.

When it seeks, it vibrates against the case, this is what I am hearing, need to stop it, at the moment it is just slid onto a metal mount really tightly.
  5. Did that work? I've used little o-rings from the hardware store in my 3.5" mounts to cut noise. Cheap cases are the pits....
  6. Just some rubber washers between the drive and mount to isolate the vibration. Can't really tell if that is a solution without seeing the case/drive bay mount.
  7. I suspended my HDD once using elastic attached to the HDD using 4 screws and then tying the ends to the HDD bay. It did noticeably cut down on the noise, but I move my PC a lot and it was kind of a hassle to keep taking it out and putting it back in.
    Check out these peoples setups: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19147
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Cases Storage