Is it possible gaming and server at the same time?

felisportus

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hello, mostly they dont put graphic cards on server machines, is it possible to build a desktop that can be both used for gaming and as server at the same time and if it is possible what should the specs should be?

felisportus

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
What i am trying to do is build a desktop that can run one operating system like windows 7 + a virtual private server running on it for webhosting and hosting a game server at the same time. I want to use the computer for gaming and normal usage and for the webhosting and game hosting , is it possible to build a specific desktop for this purpose or i need buy two desktops ?

You should be able to do it, but of course you're sharing the resources of your gaming build with your web server. I'm not an expert on virtualization, but I figure you should be able to get it to work. While I think it would make more sense to run both the server and your win 7 as virtual machines on a hyper visor, you can use win 7 as the host and then run a server using VM Ware or Virtual Box. I say use Virtual Box since it's free :D. You would have to edit your hosts file so that win 7 points http requests for "somedomain" to your virtual adapter.

Personally I say use two separate machines. Remember, if your host enviornment crashes due to a game bug, driver error, or over heating your Virtual Server goes down too.