Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible gaming and server at the same time?

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2010 1:59:38 AM

Hello, mostly they dont put graphic cards on server machines, is it possible to build a desktop that can be both used for gaming and as server at the same time and if it is possible what should the specs should be?

More about : gaming server time

September 18, 2010 2:14:18 AM

Ummm.... are you talking about a game server or are you talking about a file server,etc?
September 18, 2010 2:23:30 AM

What i am trying to do is build a desktop that can run one operating system like windows 7 + a virtual private server running on it for webhosting and hosting a game server at the same time. I want to use the computer for gaming and normal usage and for the webhosting and game hosting , is it possible to build a specific desktop for this purpose or i need buy two desktops ?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2010 3:13:14 AM

You should be able to do it, but of course you're sharing the resources of your gaming build with your web server. I'm not an expert on virtualization, but I figure you should be able to get it to work. While I think it would make more sense to run both the server and your win 7 as virtual machines on a hyper visor, you can use win 7 as the host and then run a server using VM Ware or Virtual Box. I say use Virtual Box since it's free :D . You would have to edit your hosts file so that win 7 points http requests for "somedomain" to your virtual adapter.

Personally I say use two separate machines. Remember, if your host enviornment crashes due to a game bug, driver error, or over heating your Virtual Server goes down too.
September 18, 2010 4:46:27 AM

Well you could use the SR-2.. server parts with graphics cards :p 
!