Firewall ports for UT2004?

Ok, I found the ports I need to open, but the site doesn't mention if
they need to be tcp or UDP. I thought 2003 required UDP, but I just
don't remember now. Thanx in advance!

Blessed Be,
Zeligg

"Prayer has no place in the public schools,
just like facts have no place in organized religion."

- Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

"Zeligg" <zeligg@nospeedspamfactoryatall.net> wrote in message
> Ok, I found the ports I need to open, but the site doesn't mention if
> they need to be tcp or UDP. I thought 2003 required UDP, but I just
> don't remember now. Thanx in advance!

I'm pretty sure it's UDP. There would be a whole load of lag problems with
TCP. Due to UDP's connectionless state it makes it perfect for gaming so
that if packets drop they stay dropped. If it was TCP the packets would be
transmitted which could cause issues in game.

hth,

Ky

"If it was TCP the packets would be transmitted which could cause issues in
game."

Dropped packets re-transmitted I meant..

Doh!

Ky

Meltdown

Zeligg enlightened us with:
> Ok, I found the ports I need to open, but the site doesn't mention if
> they need to be tcp or UDP.

Then "the site" needs updating ;-) Anyways, check out this group's FAQ
at the URL in my sig. It contains the answer to your question, and more
:)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On 14 Apr 2004 11:32:56 GMT, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Zeligg enlightened us with:
>> Ok, I found the ports I need to open, but the site doesn't mention if
>> they need to be tcp or UDP.
>
>Then "the site" needs updating ;-) Anyways, check out this group's FAQ
>at the URL in my sig. It contains the answer to your question, and more
>:)
>
>MeltDown

You know, the UT2004 web site doesn't have the same information:

Yours:

UT2003 uses the following UDP/IP ports: 7777 7778 7787 7788 11777
10777

And the following TCP/IP ports: 28902 and your webadmin port

Them:

For the game to work correctly, you need ports 7777, 7778, 7779, and
27902 to be open in your firewall or router.

Which is why I posted the question here. Liked the site in general,
tho. ;-D

Blessed Be,
Zeligg

"Prayer has no place in the public schools,
just like facts have no place in organized religion."

- Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

Meltdown

Zeligg enlightened us with:
> You know, the UT2004 web site doesn't have the same information:

Ok. I've used the info I have on my site to do some port-forwarding, and
I can host a game behind a NAT router, so it must be correct on at least
some ports ;-)

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message news:<slrnc7r6uj.sda.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com>...
> Zeligg enlightened us with:
> > You know, the UT2004 web site doesn't have the same information:
>
> Ok. I've used the info I have on my site to do some port-forwarding, and
> I can host a game behind a NAT router, so it must be correct on at least
> some ports ;-)
>
> MeltDown

I had the same problem when i was trying to setup the game behind a
firewall but after I follolwed MeltDowns advice I was hosting games in
no time and also sadly getting my arse kicked as well

fox

> On 14 Apr 2004 11:32:56 GMT, MeltDown
> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
>
> >Zeligg enlightened us with:
> >> Ok, I found the ports I need to open, but the site doesn't mention if
> >> they need to be tcp or UDP.
> >
> >Then "the site" needs updating ;-) Anyways, check out this group's FAQ
> >at the URL in my sig. It contains the answer to your question, and more
> >:)
> >
> >MeltDown
>
> You know, the UT2004 web site doesn't have the same information:
>
> Yours:
>
> UT2003 uses the following UDP/IP ports: 7777 7778 7787 7788 11777
> 10777
>
> And the following TCP/IP ports: 28902 and your webadmin port
>
> Them:
>
> For the game to work correctly, you need ports 7777, 7778, 7779, and
> 27902 to be open in your firewall or router.
>
> Which is why I posted the question here. Liked the site in general,
> tho. ;-D
>

> Blessed Be,
> Zeligg
>
> "Prayer has no place in the public schools,
> just like facts have no place in organized religion."
>
> - Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

Let me dumb !

Which are ports to open to enter my computer
and which are ports open to go out from my
computer?

I am thinking THEIRS means what they send out
on and YOUR'S is what we receive on. Is this
correct?

Thanks
Fox

Meltdown

Fox enlightened us with:

http://www.unrealtower.org/faqsearch/ports

> I am thinking THEIRS means what they send out on and YOUR'S is what we
> receive on. Is this correct?

THEIRS: see FAQ URL above
YOURS: random but > 1024 for sure.

Unless you are hosting a game, then it's the opposite.