Question about 460gtx and LCD TV display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi, I just bought a 460 gtx and hooked it up to my LCD TV through the hdmi. I use to have it hooked up to the RGB outlet with my old video card but I'm having some problems with this new card and perhaps it being hooked up to HDMI on my tv.

With it being hooked up through HDMI I have the option of running it in 1920x1080 at 1080p instead of Native under the Nvidia control panel. When I put it on this setting though the refresh rate is only 50 hertz. This LCD TV is suppose to be a 120 hertz tv. If I go under the computer display options on the Nvidia Control Panel and run this in 1920x1080 (Native) it has a refresh rate of 60 hertz but I think the picture may be a bit worse. Not sure. So is there no way of running this with 120 hertz or atleast 75 to 80? Wouldn't 50 be really bad for my eyes?

The TV is a Vizio SV420m. 42 inch LCD tv. I'm also using WinXP 32bit, so I'm not sure if 64 bit would make a difference or not. I'm upgrading to Win7 64 bit here soon with a new setup.

Another problem I've noticed is occasionally when I'm scrolling through pages of text on the internet that the text will sort of spread across the screen through several lines. For instance, a line of text will repeat itself below the original line of text several times in gray. I'm not sure if this is a gpu or monitor or cable issue. I recently switched to a different HDMI outlet and cable, but was wondering if anyone has heard of this before. I also took a picture of it and pasted it in paint and it didn't show up in the picture.

Another thing, is it normal for LCD TVs to occasionally make cracking noises? It sounds like the plastic cracks when this noise is being made. It makes me think there may be an issue with the TV.

Solution
I cannot explain why only 50Hz shows up as an option and not 60Hz.

However, I will dispel you misconception of 120Hz HDTVs. You are confusing 120Hz PC monitors and 120Hz HDTVs. They are both designed to operate differently since specific are created by separate and distinct electronics committees.

A 120Hz PC monitor is designed to accept two DVI-D inputs each at 60Hz for a total of 120Hz. Basically this technology allows the screen to "refresh" faster because one 60Hz DVI-D connection sends data to one half of the monitor, while the other 60Hz DVDi-D connection sends data to the other half of the screen. In a nutshell, that is how it works and people have stated they noticed a difference compared to a normal 60hz LCD monitor.

120Hz...
I cannot explain why only 50Hz shows up as an option and not 60Hz.

However, I will dispel you misconception of 120Hz HDTVs. You are confusing 120Hz PC monitors and 120Hz HDTVs. They are both designed to operate differently since specific are created by separate and distinct electronics committees.

A 120Hz PC monitor is designed to accept two DVI-D inputs each at 60Hz for a total of 120Hz. Basically this technology allows the screen to "refresh" faster because one 60Hz DVI-D connection sends data to one half of the monitor, while the other 60Hz DVDi-D connection sends data to the other half of the screen. In a nutshell, that is how it works and people have stated they noticed a difference compared to a normal 60hz LCD monitor.

120Hz HDTVs (and this applies to 240Hz HDTVs) operates differently. The "120Hz" refers to the HDTV video processing capabilities. To put it simply, the internal electronics inserts an interpolated frame in between every two actual frames to improve image quality and smoother video playback. Basically...

1. it get's frame 1 and 2 from the cable / satellite / DVD / Blu-Ray connection
2. the electronics compares frame 1 and 2, notes the difference and create frame 1.5
3. frame 1.5 is inserted in between frames 1 and 2.
4. frame 3 is received from the video source
5. the electronics compares frame 2 and 3, notes the difference and create frame 2.5
6. frame 2.5 is inserted in between frames 2 and 3.
7. repeat...

The above process is generally creates "better looking" video and smooths out video playback.

You do not want the above to happen during gaming because the process creates input lag. You want to switch 60Hz mode so that the HDTV does not do any video processing, thus creating a very small delay before the video source is displayed on the screen.

Solution

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I see thanks for the explanation. I also didn't even know you could hook up monitors like that. I'll try that out in the future if I get a new monitor.

I switched back to 1920x1080 (native) under the PC section for resolutions. It doesn't seem to look different from the HD 1080p setting anyways. I just thought native meant it was 1080i or something and it looks like I'm wrong about that.

I've also spent some time today calibrating my TV properly and learning to do that. I think for the most part I have it calibrated properly. The backlight is no longer maxed out and I turned a bunch of extra features off. I haven't heard it make a plastic cracking sound since. So lets hope that works.

Still not sure what would cause the text to spread across a page though. Is there a term for something like that? I've tried googling but no luck on finding a similar problem.

If it's not showing up when using print screen to copy it, then does that mean it's the monitor or cable and not the video card? Could the input lag you're talking about be the cause of it? Like the monitor not being able to display the image properly because of it running in HD mode?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Regarding the plastic cracking, this may happen as parts heat up within the tv's circuit, causing the plastic encapsulation and body to expand at the joints, that cracking is the release of tension as two parts are sliding over each other. Very similar to the way earthquakes work actually. When the tv is turned off, the same process will happen as the parts crack back into place as they lose their heat and contract again. Turning lots of features off means less load on the processors and circuitry therefore less heat and therefore reduced chance of that phenomenon happening.

+1 for jaguars answers.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

I see well hopefully it won't happen again now.

So the noise being made isn't harming my TV components and shortening it's life?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well i'm sure it won't be anything bad to the circuitry, but you can rule out the risk of the plastic eventually fracturing with continuous expansion and contraction, but thats highly unlikely in real life, i wouldn'd worry.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Yeah I guess I was just thinking with the loud noises it was making that it was abnormal and could possibly be overheating or something, but I guess it's normal.

Anyways, thanks a lot guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.