Hyper Threading: i7 950 VS Sandy Bridge

What do you reckon? Should I get an i7 950 (with Hyper Threading) or wait for Sandy Bridge (without Hyper Threading)?


I will use it for Photoshop and After Effects, not for gaming!


And, would you please recommend a GPU to go with it for around £130 ($170)?


Thank you in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about hyper threading sandy bridge
  1. for a graphics card i'd suggest nvidia cards as you are using photoshop and CUDA will help.

    in the $170 range I'd reccomend a 460 GT 1 gig if you can find one on sale, if not then a gtx 460 768 meg

    I'm usually the last person to tell someboduy to wait, but with sandybridge SO close i'd wait since we are SO close. if they beat the i7 950 you'll see the prices drop and everything slowly adjust itself and if the performance kills it and the price is right you just might kick yourself for buying the i7 now
  2. kadombing said:
    What do you reckon? Should I get an i7 950 (with Hyper Threading) or wait for Sandy Bridge (without Hyper Threading)?


    I will use it for Photoshop and After Effects, not for gaming!


    And, would you please recommend a GPU to go with it for around £130 ($170)?


    Thank you in advance.


    Well, last i checked... :whistle: Sandy bridge will have HT and is going into the core i7 range with 4 cores. :D

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#32_nm_Variants (it will be like the core i7 8xx instead of the 9xx's. The replacement for the 9xx core i7 wont be around till sometime late next year.)

    But like goofy said, with it a month away, i would wait and see.

    In the mean time, anandtech a about 3 months ago released this preview of the core i5 sandybridge (ES= engineering sample) and the performances on it are looking very promising. (although this ES sample has HT so you could say there trying out a core i7 instead of a core i5. ;) )

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/6
  3. g00fysmiley said:
    for a graphics card i'd suggest nvidia cards as you are using photoshop and CUDA will help.

    in the $170 range I'd reccomend a 460 GT 1 gig if you can find one on sale, if not then a gtx 460 768 meg

    I'm usually the last person to tell someboduy to wait, but with sandybridge SO close i'd wait since we are SO close. if they beat the i7 950 you'll see the prices drop and everything slowly adjust itself and if the performance kills it and the price is right you just might kick yourself for buying the i7 now


    Anonymous said:
    Well, last i checked... :whistle: Sandy bridge will have HT and is going into the core i7 range with 4 cores. :D

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#32_nm_Variants (it will be like the core i7 8xx instead of the 9xx's. The replacement for the 9xx core i7 wont be around till sometime late next year.)

    But like goofy said, with it a month away, i would wait and see.

    In the mean time, anandtech a about 3 months ago released this preview of the core i5 sandybridge (ES= engineering sample) and the performances on it are looking very promising. (although this ES sample has HT so you could say there trying out a core i7 instead of a core i5. ;) )

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/6

    Thank you guys..

    I think I missed the fact that SB i7 will be just slightly more expensive than SB i5, I thought I can only afford SB with No HT :na: Will definitely wait then..
  4. Also, is there any news out there saying how mach volt SB will use for RAM?

    Can I buy this now before the price get higher?

    8 Gb Dominator CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

    They are 1.65 Volt.

    Or is it better to wait, thus, no risk?
  5. (just discovered Quick edit)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Intel i7 Product