Solved

Workstation card performance in games

I am putting together a system that will (hopefully) do both games and CAD (SolidWorks). I have found many charts on gaming cards' performance in workstation apps (and they fail miserably compared to workstation cards). But, I can't find a single chart for Workstation cards' performance in games.

Any help?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about workstation card performance games
  1. The issue with cards like the Quadro is that the drivers were not written for speed but for accuracy. So while the core chips may be the same for the Quadro version of a card and for the consumer GeForce one, the perfomace is just not there in games.

I'd say you will loose 25% or more in gaming performance going with a comparable pro card vs. a gaming card. I have a laptop with a Quadro NVS, and it does not do too badly in gaming, but falls behind my other laptop that has a similar generation ATI consumer card. I can run WoW on the Quadro at about medium settings with 30-40 fps in most areas. My son also plays Battle for Middle Earth II on it, woks pretty well, no lag on it that I can see.
  2. It's probably not very good. As far as architecture I'm sure there's some differences, but the main thing is drivers. Drivers are made specifically for their job. Nvidia, for example, makes gaming graphics drivers that are optimized for specific rendering engines and both companies optimize for specific games. The workstation card drivers completely ignore gaming requirements and focus on profesional apps like CAD, 3D renderings, animation etc.

It would be interesting if you could switch drivers tho, and see if it works...
  3. There are some hacks around to enable gaming cards to use pro drivers, which should allow switching between the 2. However from a practicality and stability point of view, that's probably not a good idea to do. Just saying that something like this has been done.
  4. Ok been looking at the rest of the system and this is what I have so far...

Build time: within 2 months

CPU--Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
    MoBo--GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX
    RAM--A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600(PC312800) Thinking about 8GB
    PSU--CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
    Case--COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
    HDD--Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
    Optical--LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model CH10LS20K
    OS-- Win 7 64 Bit

Looking to spend under 1500$ So with these parts (priced from newegg) I have about 370 to spend on graphics solutions.

Gaming wise I have been looking at SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 --- 285$
    CAD wise I have been looking at ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 --- 175$

I assume one can't crossfire the two.... get the best of both worlds
  5. Crossfire, no, but you could run both independantly - in which case you might consider that FirePro with something like a 5770 (to save cash). I think the biggest hassle of that is that you'd need to switch the monitor connection or something, to launch games off the gaming card and CAD off the workstation card. Not entirely sure how much fan that would be...

Otherwise if you only run SolidWorks and if you generally don't use huge assemblies, you might get away with a 5850... I haven't looked at benchmarks but if the 5850 performs decently then it might be worthwhile should you want to do some gaming too.
  6. I just read a post about NVidia's GTX 460/470 and CUDA. Does CUDA improve performance in CAD programs?
    and would it provide better all around performance gaming and CAD?

I find it frustrating, the gaping hole in performance benchmarks for gaming cards running workstation programs and visa versa.
  7. Best answer
    Workstation cards would perform pathetically in games but mainstream (gaming) cards would not perform that badly with workstation apps.. Thus, you are better of buying a mainstream card.. As with your build, get an i7 860.. Apps like Solidworks do benefit from hyper threading.. For the card, get the GTX 460 1GB or HD 5850 1GB (both would perform identically so it comes down to your choice on ATI vs Nvidia)..
  8. Best answer selected by whywhyme.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Workstations Games Performance Graphics Product