I am currently planning to upgrade my system, but do not want to throw away the component which could be re-used.
In fact I use my desktop just for various simulation games; Microsoft Flight Simulator X & X-plane.
My current system is:
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
- Motherboard: MSI MS-7280
- Memory: 2x2Gb + 2x1Gb = Total 6Gb
- Graphic: GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512Mb
- OP system: Windows XP
So, first of all I have never been an expert in terms of PC building, but yes I know it not makes sense to have 6Gb RAM with the current system
I made some research, especially on http://www.hardware-revolution.com/. (Gaming PC $700 & $850)
What I would like to change:
> RAM (optional)
> Power supply (optional)
I have few questions:
1) Intel or AMD platform? both looks fine for me, but the performance of the Intel Core i5-750
2) Is it makes sense to have a new mainboard with DDR2 sockets to keep the RAMs? I am not really convinced in terms of DDR3.
3) In terms of Graphic I guess I will go with GeForce GTX460
4) Definitely I will go with Win7. Maybe 64bit system? I figured out at MSFSX it could be useful and could result som performance increase, but the x-plane is optimized for 32bit platform, so no benefit. What is your idea guys?
5) Any special attention at power supply? I should check the current one and replace it if it is necessary (550-600W)
Sorry for the long post guys, but just want to save some money and choose the best option for the money. I know there is always a better option for a few euros more, but do not want to spend 1000EUR if it is not necessary
1. An Intel i5 750 or 760 is superior gaming wise
2.Either way an Intel or Amd platform upgrade requires DDR3 dual channel ram
3.GTX 460 is an excellent choice
4.Don't bother with Win7 unless it's the 64bit version it does everything a 32bit system does anyways
5.A 500-650W quality unit will be fine
I say wait for this moment, and upgrade somewhere in summer next year.
AMd Buldozer and Intel Sandy bridge along with AMD/ATI 6000 series are coming.
You might wanna get one of those or enjoy the price cut for todays components.
6000 series is coming out soon, and all the ATI lovers like me are gonna wanna get there hands on them...
Although, if you just want SOMETHING now and can't wait? (understandable). I'd get something low like a ATI 5770 with windows 7, just for the dx 11 benifits.
But that's if you have the money to spend.
Anyway, I'm just spitballing. Ideas here and there.