I Want to Terminate My Contract!

Last response: in Network Providers
April 16, 2005 4:37:57 PM

Since Cingular acquired AT&T, mobile phone coverage in my area has been
reduced dramatically. I always get dropped calls, and can no longer
make phone calls where I used to. It is awful, and I want out. I've got
a little less than one year left in my contract- and I want to
terminate my contract now without incurring fees.

My justification: they are not withholding the contract since they are
no longer providing me with adequate phone coverage and service.

Is this enough justification? Any suggestions on what to say or what
to do so that I can terminate the contract without the termination fee
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Unhappy Cingular Subscriber

More about : terminate contract

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:24:42 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. Certified Letter- meaning via certified
mail through USPS, correct? (In other words, it doesn't have to be
notarized.)

Any specific language I need to specify in the letter? Should I even
bother calling Customer Service first to try cancelling coverage?

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:15:43 PM

Thanks for the info... If anyone else has successfully done this, I'm
interested in hearing what you've done...
Related resources
April 16, 2005 10:04:45 PM

if you only have a few months of contract left, it might be more cheaper to
just drop your line to the lowest plan and then ride it out..

"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info... If anyone else has successfully done this, I'm
> interested in hearing what you've done...

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:12:52 AM

In article <1113680277.475719.208840@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since Cingular acquired AT&T, mobile phone coverage in my area has been
> reduced dramatically. I always get dropped calls, and can no longer
> make phone calls where I used to. It is awful, and I want out. I've got
> a little less than one year left in my contract- and I want to
> terminate my contract now without incurring fees.
>
> My justification: they are not withholding the contract since they are
> no longer providing me with adequate phone coverage and service.
>
> Is this enough justification?

Certainly is. Write a certfied letter to Cingular HQ in Atlanta with a
copy to your State's Attorney General.

> Any suggestions on what to say or what
> to do so that I can terminate the contract without the termination fee
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Unhappy Cingular Subscriber
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:18:03 AM

What's so unethical about cc'ing the AG?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:19:18 AM

I've got 11 months left on my contract...
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:32:43 AM

I agree- it's not for certain that my significant reduction in coverage
is a direct result of Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless. My
reduced coverage did, however, signficantly reduced shortly after the
acquistion. I've heard that after the acquistion, Cingular sold/reduced
service on some cell sites that had "duplicate coverage." Since I
always had Cingular and good coverage, I'm assuming that AT&T kept
their site in my area and got rid of theirs, in turn reducing my
coverage. Of course, I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm left with poor coverage.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:35:59 AM

I've got a friend with T-Mobile, and we've compared coverage
side-by-side in the same trouble areas I have. T-Mobile has excellent
coverage, as opposed to Cingular.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:36:57 AM

I've got a friend with T-Mobile, and we've compared coverage
side-by-side in the same trouble areas I have. T-Mobile has excellent
coverage, as opposed to Cingular. If terminating my contract doesn't
work, I'll try what you've suggested. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:38:38 AM

In article <1113686682.327965.313830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt response. Certified Letter- meaning via certified
> mail through USPS, correct? (In other words, it doesn't have to be
> notarized.)
>
> Any specific language I need to specify in the letter? Should I even
> bother calling Customer Service first to try cancelling coverage?
>
> Thanks.

A cell phone is bought assuming service, if that service is removed or
significantly deteriorated, it is no longer "Fit for Purpose" and
contract has effectively been broken by Cingular.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:38:39 AM

> In article <1113686682.327965.313830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the prompt response. Certified Letter- meaning via certified
> > mail through USPS, correct? (In other words, it doesn't have to be
> > notarized.)
> >
> > Any specific language I need to specify in the letter? Should I even
> > bother calling Customer Service first to try cancelling coverage?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> A cell phone is bought assuming service, if that service is removed or
> significantly deteriorated, it is no longer "Fit for Purpose" and
> contract has effectively been broken by Cingular.

So you propose bringing the AG into the mix before allowing the company to
make the customer whole? Sounds like a waste of tax dollars to me. Pretty
unethical as well.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:53:11 AM

> In article <1113686682.327965.313830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the prompt response. Certified Letter- meaning via certified
>> mail through USPS, correct? (In other words, it doesn't have to be
>> notarized.)
>>
>> Any specific language I need to specify in the letter? Should I even
>> bother calling Customer Service first to try cancelling coverage?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> A cell phone is bought assuming service, if that service is removed or
> significantly deteriorated, it is no longer "Fit for Purpose" and
> contract has effectively been broken by Cingular.

So you are a lawyer now?

--
JJ

http://www.cingular.com
http://www.texaspowerhouse.com
http://www.txmma.com
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:49:49 AM

In article <1113696943.153669.284640@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info... If anyone else has successfully done this, I'm
> interested in hearing what you've done...

I've seen several posts over the years from folks that have done EXACTLY
what I suggested, and have had their contracts voided.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:51:29 AM

In article <Hzh8e.11341$hu5.10805@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
"Jiu Jitsuperfly" <jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <1113686682.327965.313830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the prompt response. Certified Letter- meaning via certified
> >> mail through USPS, correct? (In other words, it doesn't have to be
> >> notarized.)
> >>
> >> Any specific language I need to specify in the letter? Should I even
> >> bother calling Customer Service first to try cancelling coverage?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > A cell phone is bought assuming service, if that service is removed or
> > significantly deteriorated, it is no longer "Fit for Purpose" and
> > contract has effectively been broken by Cingular.
>

> So you are a lawyer now?

No, and neither are you, but over the years I have seen several posts
from folks who have reported doing what I suggested and had their
contracts voided.

Cellular shills often try to mislead customers to think nothing can ever
void a contract, and that of course is false.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:37:40 AM

In article <8JednaMraOXlKPzfRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
"Aaron" <aarons6@hotmail.com> wrote:

> if you only have a few months of contract left, it might be more cheaper to
> just drop your line to the lowest plan and then ride it out..

If his coverage has seriously deteriorated, he's entitled to have the
contract voided.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:37:41 AM

Jack Zwick Wrote:
> In article <8JednaMraOXlKPzfRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
> "Aaron" <aarons6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > if you only have a few months of contract left, it might be more
> cheaper to
> > just drop your line to the lowest plan and then ride it out..
>
> If his coverage has seriously deteriorated, he's entitled to have the
> contract voided.

Cingular may void his contract, but they are under no obligation to
have to. In the wireless service agreement, it says coverage is not
guaranteed.

More importantly, it's not safe to assume that this is a direct result
of Cingular buying AT&T. If his coverage has dropped it could be for
several reasons, phone going bad, bad cell tower nearby, or something
else that could obstruct the signal strength of the tower.

I have a hard time believing that there would be less coverage and more
dropped calls as a result of the AT&T buyout. Most people I've spoken
with have told me the opposite.

I think before he even attempts to cancel, he needs to let Cingular
know about his so called poor coverage, to see if they know why it's
gone down hill. They may be able to fix the situation, but they can't
fix the problem if they don't know there is a problem.

--
scott14661
April 17, 2005 9:46:41 AM

I recommend some patience because your new service provider may not be any
better.

If you have a 1900MHz only phone, try an 850/1900MHz phone and that might
solve your problem. I've heard that sometimes, the fix is that easy. Try
to convince Cingular to sell you new phone at a discounted prices without
having to extend your contract.

> Since Cingular acquired AT&T, mobile phone coverage in my area has been
> reduced dramatically. I always get dropped calls, and can no longer
> make phone calls where I used to. It is awful, and I want out. I've got
> a little less than one year left in my contract- and I want to
> terminate my contract now without incurring fees.
>
> My justification: they are not withholding the contract since they are
> no longer providing me with adequate phone coverage and service.
>
> Is this enough justification? Any suggestions on what to say or what
> to do so that I can terminate the contract without the termination fee
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Unhappy Cingular Subscriber

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:22:21 AM

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber"
<pacificgrove@gmail.com>
* Date:Sun, 17 Apr 2005 06:19:26 -0500
* Subj: Re: I Want to Terminate My Contract!

UCS>I've got a friend with T-Mobile, and we've compared coverage
UCS>side-by-side in the same trouble areas I have. T-Mobile has
UCS>excellent coverage, as opposed to Cingular.

....and your area would be?
--
Jack
Anonymous

In article <5Lm8e.2497$J12.876@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

> I recommend some patience because your new service provider may not be any
> better.
>
> If you have a 1900MHz only phone, try an 850/1900MHz phone and that might
> solve your problem. I've heard that sometimes, the fix is that easy. Try
> to convince Cingular to sell you new phone at a discounted prices without
> having to extend your contract.

If he had a 1900 MHz phone, and now needs a 850/1900 for the same
coverage when he went into his contract, Cingular should provide a phone
of equal value for FREE.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:03:38 PM

Central Coast (California)
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:15:42 PM

> What's so unethical about cc'ing the AG?

The unethical part is utilizing a service that is used after attempts to
rectify the situation have failed. You admit that you haven't even
contacted Cingular yet.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:51:44 PM

In some areas, Cingular is 1900MHz and AT&T is 850MHz. For best coverage,
you need a phone with both bands. That could be one reason your coverage is
not so good. You might want to borrow a friend's phone and test it out in
your neighborhood.

>I agree- it's not for certain that my significant reduction in coverage
> is a direct result of Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless. My
> reduced coverage did, however, signficantly reduced shortly after the
> acquistion. I've heard that after the acquistion, Cingular sold/reduced
> service on some cell sites that had "duplicate coverage." Since I
> always had Cingular and good coverage, I'm assuming that AT&T kept
> their site in my area and got rid of theirs, in turn reducing my
> coverage. Of course, I could be wrong.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm left with poor coverage.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:04:59 AM

In article <4fy8e.2609$J12.999@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

> In some areas, Cingular is 1900MHz and AT&T is 850MHz. For best coverage,
> you need a phone with both bands. That could be one reason your coverage is
> not so good. You might want to borrow a friend's phone and test it out in
> your neighborhood.

If he had good coverage and has lost it due to some change by Cingular,
it should not be up to the customer to jump through hoops to figure out
why. Cingular should either

+ Solve the problem - giving him a new phone if he needs coverage
in a additional band.

or

+ Let him out of his contract.

> "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I agree- it's not for certain that my significant reduction in coverage
> > is a direct result of Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless. My
> > reduced coverage did, however, signficantly reduced shortly after the
> > acquistion. I've heard that after the acquistion, Cingular sold/reduced
> > service on some cell sites that had "duplicate coverage." Since I
> > always had Cingular and good coverage, I'm assuming that AT&T kept
> > their site in my area and got rid of theirs, in turn reducing my
> > coverage. Of course, I could be wrong.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I'm left with poor coverage.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:05:00 AM

> In article <4fy8e.2609$J12.999@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:
>
> > In some areas, Cingular is 1900MHz and AT&T is 850MHz. For best
coverage,
> > you need a phone with both bands. That could be one reason your
coverage is
> > not so good. You might want to borrow a friend's phone and test it out
in
> > your neighborhood.
>
> If he had good coverage and has lost it due to some change by Cingular,
> it should not be up to the customer to jump through hoops to figure out
> why. Cingular should either
>
> + Solve the problem - giving him a new phone if he needs coverage
> in a additional band.
>
> or
>
> + Let him out of his contract.

Has it been proven that Cingular is at fault? HAs it proven that Cingular
made a change? Answer to both questions- no.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:02:06 AM

I don't agree. Equipment is the responsibility of the customer. The
service contract is only in exchange for the phone subsidy upon initial
purchase. Customers can always pay full retail price for a phone and not
have any contract at all.

Wireless carriers try in many ways to make customers happy to retain them
for many years, but they are not obligated to anything.

> In article <4fy8e.2609$J12.999@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:
>
>> In some areas, Cingular is 1900MHz and AT&T is 850MHz. For best
>> coverage,
>> you need a phone with both bands. That could be one reason your coverage
>> is
>> not so good. You might want to borrow a friend's phone and test it out
>> in
>> your neighborhood.
>
> If he had good coverage and has lost it due to some change by Cingular,
> it should not be up to the customer to jump through hoops to figure out
> why. Cingular should either
>
> + Solve the problem - giving him a new phone if he needs coverage
> in a additional band.
>
> or
>
> + Let him out of his contract.
>

>> "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I agree- it's not for certain that my significant reduction in coverage
>> > is a direct result of Cingular's acquisition of AT&T Wireless. My
>> > reduced coverage did, however, signficantly reduced shortly after the
>> > acquistion. I've heard that after the acquistion, Cingular sold/reduced
>> > service on some cell sites that had "duplicate coverage." Since I
>> > always had Cingular and good coverage, I'm assuming that AT&T kept
>> > their site in my area and got rid of theirs, in turn reducing my
>> > coverage. Of course, I could be wrong.
>> >
>> > Nevertheless, I'm left with poor coverage.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:05:56 AM

In article <i9A8e.2660$J12.1101@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

> I don't agree. Equipment is the responsibility of the customer. The
> service contract is only in exchange for the phone subsidy upon initial
> purchase. Customers can always pay full retail price for a phone and not
> have any contract at all.

Equipment is sold on the assumption it is "Fit for Purpose" if it is
made not to be by dint of some change Cingular made, the contract should
be voided, and any AG will assist in that.

> Wireless carriers try in many ways to make customers happy to retain them
> for many years, but they are not obligated to anything.

They insist on holding customers to written contract, and it works both
ways.

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <4fy8e.2609$J12.999@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> > "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:
> >
> >> In some areas, Cingular is 1900MHz and AT&T is 850MHz. For best
> >> coverage,
> >> you need a phone with both bands. That could be one reason your coverage
> >> is
> >> not so good. You might want to borrow a friend's phone and test it out
> >> in
> >> your neighborhood.
> >
> > If he had good coverage and has lost it due to some change by Cingular,
> > it should not be up to the customer to jump through hoops to figure out
> > why. Cingular should either
> >
> > + Solve the problem - giving him a new phone if he needs coverage
> > in a additional band.
> >
> > or
> >
> > + Let him out of his contract.
> >

> >> "Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:28:46 AM

Your point is well taken. Which is why I decided not to include them in
the correspondence at this time. Thanks.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:24:05 AM

"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:1113680277.475719.208840@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Since Cingular acquired AT&T, mobile phone coverage in my area has
been
> reduced dramatically. I always get dropped calls, and can no longer
> make phone calls where I used to. It is awful, and I want out. I've
got
> a little less than one year left in my contract- and I want to
> terminate my contract now without incurring fees.
>
> My justification: they are not withholding the contract since they
are
> no longer providing me with adequate phone coverage and service.
>
> Is this enough justification? Any suggestions on what to say or
what
> to do so that I can terminate the contract without the termination
fee
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Unhappy Cingular Subscriber

What kind of phone do you have, GSM, TDMA, Multiband? What part of the
country do you live?

The reason I ask is that last summer I looked at switching from AT&T
to another carrier. I checked out Cingular, Verizon and T-Mobile. I
was traveling all over the country on business for a number of years
and AT&T's TDMA coverage was great throughout much of the US. It was
terrible in parts of the East Coast and most of the West Coast.

I researched the Cingular/AT&T takeover. The articles that I read
indicated that Cingular was going to divest themselves of their East
and West Coast systems and adopt AT&T's systems in those areas. At
that point I decided against Cingular, at least until after the
takeover was complete.

If this was the case, then I have to assume that Cingular adopted
AT&T's TDMA systems rather than their GSM network. I kept my AT&T TDMA
phone active with minimal service until the end of January. Service
never improved.

Chas.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:56:29 PM

If you follow some of the advice I read in this thread, you'll just be
wasting postage. Cingular does not guarantee service to anyone (nor does
ANY wireless carrier) read your contract. Having said that you need to go
to the nearest Cingular Corporate store and let them look at your phone.
They will take care of it from there. BTW, ANYWHERE T-Mobile has excellent
service Cingular does too. If Cingular doesn't provide native service in
an area where T-Mobile does you will roam on T-Mobile.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:27:00 PM

In article <45ddeaa77e324b8b94ae8c6771632219@CellPhoneKB.com>,
"Marsh Mayhew via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote:

> If you follow some of the advice I read in this thread, you'll just be
> wasting postage. Cingular does not guarantee service to anyone (nor does
> ANY wireless carrier) read your contract.

Sorry you corporate shill. The contract is not the be all and end all.
Having sold you a phone, there is an implied warranty of "fitness for
purpose", and == IF == your coverage has grossly deteriorated, they will
let you out of your contract, although sometimes it takes a phone call
for an AG's office.

> Having said that you need to go
> to the nearest Cingular Corporate store and let them look at your phone.
> They will take care of it from there. BTW, ANYWHERE T-Mobile has excellent
> service Cingular does too. If Cingular doesn't provide native service in
> an area where T-Mobile does you will roam on T-Mobile.

Sorry, Cingular does not have 100% roaming interchangablility with
T-Mobile. That's a BIG LIE.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:27:01 PM

> In article <45ddeaa77e324b8b94ae8c6771632219@CellPhoneKB.com>,
> "Marsh Mayhew via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote:
>
> > If you follow some of the advice I read in this thread, you'll just be
> > wasting postage. Cingular does not guarantee service to anyone (nor
does
> > ANY wireless carrier) read your contract.
>
> Sorry you corporate shill. The contract is not the be all and end all.
> Having sold you a phone, there is an implied warranty of "fitness for
> purpose", and == IF == your coverage has grossly deteriorated, they will
> let you out of your contract, although sometimes it takes a phone call
> for an AG's office.

Excuse me, oh one of little knowledge- when did you gain credentials in
contract law? You know nothing about this, or any other subject you spout
on about. In more than one case, you have given bad information that has
resulted in even more pain for people naive enough to believe you. Why
don't you leave the legal opinions to those that might actually know. All
you are doing is stroking that delicate little ego of yours, and acting like
a child doing it.

> > Having said that you need to go
> > to the nearest Cingular Corporate store and let them look at your phone.
> > They will take care of it from there. BTW, ANYWHERE T-Mobile has
excellent
> > service Cingular does too. If Cingular doesn't provide native service
in
> > an area where T-Mobile does you will roam on T-Mobile.
>

> Sorry, Cingular does not have 100% roaming interchangablility with
> T-Mobile. That's a BIG LIE.

Proof? Or is this another one of your personal opinions presented as fact?
You are the ultimate troll.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:54:56 PM

"Unhappy Cingular Subscriber" <pacificgrove@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:1113761086.407379.294510@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Central Coast (California)

In the land of "Let's do lunch" and high tech existence, Cellular
coverage is spotty at best throughout the state. There's no coverage
on major portions of I-5 and US101. On Highway 1 there's only service
around SLO, Monterey and SC.

Down in LaLa Land last year, I was listening to a radio program about
cellular service and they claimed that LA was ranked 571st in coverage
and service among all of the markets in the US. San Diego has had the
worst coverage of all.

A few years ago, I was doing some consulting with a company in SD. I
was traveling around with their sales force covering an area from
Orange County to Tijuana and east to the 215. I tested cell phones
from 5 different carriers - Nextel was the worst!

In the Bay Area, Verizon has been pretty good but Sprint seems to be
better in the areas that I travel through. I ordered a Cingular phone
online and I'll be trying them as soon as I get my new phone.

YMMV because service is always changing and things may have improved
since then. Also, some phones work better than others with specific
sub-systems and parts of a carrier's network.

Chas.
!