Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Compaq M700 from win95 to 98 Question

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 12:27:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a Compaq M700 PII 366mhz laptop with 192M ram that is currently
running Win95 (came with laptop) that I would like to upgrade to Win98 (1st
edition, full install not upgrade) that I have here.

I have worked on & built many console PCs but have not had any experience
with a Compaq.

What are the steps involved in installing win98. I assume that I just
cannot format "C" and install as I would normally do since I believe that
Compaq stores their BIOS settings on the hard drive somewhere.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 12:27:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have found when working with compaq or upgrading Windows its a good
idea to update the BIOS first. I was given a laptop to fix were
someone tryed to upgrade to WinXP and it locked up on the person
because the BIOS had never been updated.

You can get updates @ their website. If you have never done it before
I can explain how to do it if needed.


Good Luck


Sean
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 12:27:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The laptop that your talking about it is different than I have
previously flashed. Compaq is good with their instructions from my
experence. You may want to have a floppy disk handy for the backup
copy of the current BIOS if necessary.

Go here and read and download. With the remote flash it should be as
easy as pie. You can also do it the old fashion way
(instructions.@download site) you will need a floopy disk for sure. I
would put a sacrificial 3 1/2 floopy in the drive first and format it
to remove any dust from the read write head (if you dont use it much)
so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.

I would also check (and download if you only have the one computer) on
all the drivers that you need if you plan on doing a F-disk to get rid
of old compaq garbage files.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/downl...

Let me know how it goes. I have owned 2 Compaqs before I went to
non-proprietary computers for cheaper and easier upgrades.
Luck

seannippert@hotmail.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 2:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Please do, as BIOS is not something to play with without direction.

Thanks
Brian

<seannippert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1104247317.070287.182050@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I have found when working with compaq or upgrading Windows its a good
> idea to update the BIOS first. I was given a laptop to fix were
> someone tryed to upgrade to WinXP and it locked up on the person
> because the BIOS had never been updated.
>
> You can get updates @ their website. If you have never done it before
> I can explain how to do it if needed.
>
>
> Good Luck
>
>
> Sean
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 4:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
> BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.
>

I may have this Compaq stuff wrong then.

So I am safe to Format and do a clean install of Win98 as usual?

I will first have to grab the drivers I need also.

The laptop is a second computer. Even though it is from 1999 it was a demo
unit that got stored away. Just recently uncovered and then I bought. It
has been having an occasional boot up problem, No POST which I am also
trying to chase.

Thanks for the info.

Brian

<seannippert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1104253856.795096.53620@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> The laptop that your talking about it is different than I have
> previously flashed. Compaq is good with their instructions from my
> experence. You may want to have a floppy disk handy for the backup
> copy of the current BIOS if necessary.
>
> Go here and read and download. With the remote flash it should be as
> easy as pie. You can also do it the old fashion way
> (instructions.@download site) you will need a floopy disk for sure. I
> would put a sacrificial 3 1/2 floopy in the drive first and format it
> to remove any dust from the read write head (if you dont use it much)
> so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
> BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.
>
> I would also check (and download if you only have the one computer) on
> all the drivers that you need if you plan on doing a F-disk to get rid
> of old compaq garbage files.
>
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/downl...
>
> Let me know how it goes. I have owned 2 Compaqs before I went to
> non-proprietary computers for cheaper and easier upgrades.
> Luck
>
> seannippert@hotmail.com
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 5:18:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

yea.. your good to go once you update the BIOS and get the drivers for
video, sound, etc. Let me know how it goes.


seannippert@hotmail.com

I got a few messages earlier that didnt go thru. . . Did you send
something ?


Sean
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 9:03:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Yea I had hit the reply button instead of the reply group so 2 messages
went, 1 with the reply which you just replied to and 1 apologizing for
hitting the reply rather than the reply group.

Thanks

Brian


<seannippert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1104272293.117056.129950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> yea.. your good to go once you update the BIOS and get the drivers for
> video, sound, etc. Let me know how it goes.
>
>
> seannippert@hotmail.com
>
> I got a few messages earlier that didnt go thru. . . Did you send
> something ?
>
>
> Sean
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 10:24:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have downloaded the SSM package and the BIOS update file from Compaq.

I have extracted the SSM files and extracted the BIOS update to the SSM
directory. I have run the SSM application and set my file store to the SSM
directory. Further on I entered a password as instructions indicated to
update the BIOS the password is required.

There is a BiosConfigUtility program that I assume requires command line
parameters. When I click on it it quickly shows a window and exits.

I have read the PDF User's guide but don't see how to update the bios.

Help please.

Brian


<seannippert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1104272293.117056.129950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> yea.. your good to go once you update the BIOS and get the drivers for
> video, sound, etc. Let me know how it goes.
>
>
> seannippert@hotmail.com
>
> I got a few messages earlier that didnt go thru. . . Did you send
> something ?
>
>
> Sean
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 11:06:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Amyotte" <amyotte@personainternet.com> wrote in message
news:10t58fkfd4hjd29@corp.supernews.com...
>I have downloaded the SSM package and the BIOS update file from Compaq.
>
> I have extracted the SSM files and extracted the BIOS update to the SSM
> directory. I have run the SSM application and set my file store to the
> SSM directory. Further on I entered a password as instructions indicated
> to update the BIOS the password is required.
>
> There is a BiosConfigUtility program that I assume requires command line
> parameters. When I click on it it quickly shows a window and exits.
>
> I have read the PDF User's guide but don't see how to update the bios.
>
> Help please.
>
> Brian


Never mind - used RamPaq utility and an extremely easy upgrade

Brian
!