Compaq M700 from win95 to 98 Question

I have a Compaq M700 PII 366mhz laptop with 192M ram that is currently
running Win95 (came with laptop) that I would like to upgrade to Win98 (1st
edition, full install not upgrade) that I have here.

I have worked on & built many console PCs but have not had any experience
with a Compaq.

What are the steps involved in installing win98. I assume that I just
cannot format "C" and install as I would normally do since I believe that
Compaq stores their BIOS settings on the hard drive somewhere.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
9 answers Last reply
More about compaq m700 win95 question

    I have found when working with compaq or upgrading Windows its a good
    idea to update the BIOS first. I was given a laptop to fix were
    someone tryed to upgrade to WinXP and it locked up on the person
    because the BIOS had never been updated.

    You can get updates @ their website. If you have never done it before
    I can explain how to do it if needed.

    Good Luck

    Sean

    The laptop that your talking about it is different than I have
    previously flashed. Compaq is good with their instructions from my
    experence. You may want to have a floppy disk handy for the backup
    copy of the current BIOS if necessary.

    Go here and read and download. With the remote flash it should be as
    easy as pie. You can also do it the old fashion way
    (instructions.@download site) you will need a floopy disk for sure. I
    would put a sacrificial 3 1/2 floopy in the drive first and format it
    to remove any dust from the read write head (if you dont use it much)
    so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
    BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.

    I would also check (and download if you only have the one computer) on
    all the drivers that you need if you plan on doing a F-disk to get rid
    of old compaq garbage files.

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/14200.html

    Let me know how it goes. I have owned 2 Compaqs before I went to
    non-proprietary computers for cheaper and easier upgrades.
    Luck

    seannippert@hotmail.com

    actually that is the link for the remote BIOS... this link will put you
    up the tree so you can choose... sorry about that.
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/3_1009.html#0

    Please do, as BIOS is not something to play with without direction.

    Thanks
    Brian

    <seannippert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have found when working with compaq or upgrading Windows its a good
    > idea to update the BIOS first. I was given a laptop to fix were
    > someone tryed to upgrade to WinXP and it locked up on the person
    > because the BIOS had never been updated.
    >
    > You can get updates @ their website. If you have never done it before
    > I can explain how to do it if needed.
    >

    > Good Luck
    >

    > Sean

    > so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
    > BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.

    I may have this Compaq stuff wrong then.

    So I am safe to Format and do a clean install of Win98 as usual?

    I will first have to grab the drivers I need also.

    The laptop is a second computer. Even though it is from 1999 it was a demo
    unit that got stored away. Just recently uncovered and then I bought. It
    has been having an occasional boot up problem, No POST which I am also
    trying to chase.

    Thanks for the info.

    > The laptop that your talking about it is different than I have
    > previously flashed. Compaq is good with their instructions from my
    > experence. You may want to have a floppy disk handy for the backup
    > copy of the current BIOS if necessary.
    >
    > Go here and read and download. With the remote flash it should be as
    > easy as pie. You can also do it the old fashion way
    > (instructions.@download site) you will need a floopy disk for sure. I
    > would put a sacrificial 3 1/2 floopy in the drive first and format it
    > to remove any dust from the read write head (if you dont use it much)
    > so you dont have any problem with the actual disk you need to flash the
    > BIOS with. "never heard of bios on HD" new one to me.
    >
    > I would also check (and download if you only have the one computer) on
    > all the drivers that you need if you plan on doing a F-disk to get rid
    > of old compaq garbage files.
    >
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/14200.html
    >
    > Let me know how it goes. I have owned 2 Compaqs before I went to
    > non-proprietary computers for cheaper and easier upgrades.
    > Luck
    >
    > seannippert@hotmail.com

    yea.. your good to go once you update the BIOS and get the drivers for
    video, sound, etc. Let me know how it goes.

    seannippert@hotmail.com

    I got a few messages earlier that didnt go thru. . . Did you send
    something ?

    Sean

    Yea I had hit the reply button instead of the reply group so 2 messages
    went, 1 with the reply which you just replied to and 1 apologizing for
    hitting the reply rather than the reply group.

    > yea.. your good to go once you update the BIOS and get the drivers for
    > video, sound, etc. Let me know how it goes.
    >

    > seannippert@hotmail.com
    >
    > I got a few messages earlier that didnt go thru. . . Did you send
    > something ?
    >

    > Sean

    I have downloaded the SSM package and the BIOS update file from Compaq.

    I have extracted the SSM files and extracted the BIOS update to the SSM
    directory. I have run the SSM application and set my file store to the SSM
    directory. Further on I entered a password as instructions indicated to
    update the BIOS the password is required.

    There is a BiosConfigUtility program that I assume requires command line
    parameters. When I click on it it quickly shows a window and exits.

    I have read the PDF User's guide but don't see how to update the bios.

    Help please.

    "Amyotte" <amyotte@personainternet.com> wrote in message
    >I have downloaded the SSM package and the BIOS update file from Compaq.
    >
    > I have extracted the SSM files and extracted the BIOS update to the SSM
    > directory. I have run the SSM application and set my file store to the
    > SSM directory. Further on I entered a password as instructions indicated
    > to update the BIOS the password is required.
    >
    > There is a BiosConfigUtility program that I assume requires command line
    > parameters. When I click on it it quickly shows a window and exits.
    >
    > I have read the PDF User's guide but don't see how to update the bios.
    >
    > Help please.
    >
    > Brian

    Never mind - used RamPaq utility and an extremely easy upgrade

    Brian

Laptops Compaq