Canon S1 IS vs Pana Lumix FZ15 vs ... ??

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 4, 2005 6:28:07 PM

[Sorry for the multi post. Got the group name incorrect]

Hi all.

Having traversed the archives of dpreview.com et al, I finally think I
am close to selecting a camera for myself.

I am looking for a digital camera which will help me start into the
world of amateur and hobbyist photography - and, (isnt this obvious ;) )
I am on a tight budget (around USD $ 400). The camera should provide
manual controls to play around with, and have a bit of flexibility in
adding lenses, etc later. (Hope I am not asking for too much .. ? :)

I found the High - Zoom cameras within my range and promising:

1. Panasonic Lumix FZ15 (FZ20 is better, but $100 more - for an extra MP
(5 instead of 4) and hot shoe for flash. This is a bit too high for me .. )

2. Canon S1 IS
3. Someone mentioned Olympus 756 UZ - havent looked at it too much
4. Konica Minolta Z3 - But seems 1 and 2 above are better

Any inputs on which should be the best choice for me, providing enough
to experiment and be extensible. Please let me know of any other cameras
you think fit the bill for me!

Thanks a lot

Abhinav

More about : canon pana lumix fz15

January 4, 2005 6:28:08 PM

After studying all the on-line reviews and digital magazine repoprts,
the Lumix edges out the Canon in most respects. However it is quite a
lot more bulky. Perhaps you should go to a camera shop and decide which
is best for you.
I remember from a report somewhere (possibly DPreview panasonic users
group?) that the FZ15 had some internal upgrades from the FZ20, so the
main advantage of the more expensive model was the flash hotshoe.
DonB
Abhinav Modi wrote:
> [Sorry for the multi post. Got the group name incorrect]
>
> Hi all.
>
> Having traversed the archives of dpreview.com et al, I finally think
> am close to selecting a camera for myself.
>
> I am looking for a digital camera which will help me start into the
> world of amateur and hobbyist photography - and, (isnt this obvious
;) )
> I am on a tight budget (around USD $ 400). The camera should provide
> manual controls to play around with, and have a bit of flexibility in
> adding lenses, etc later. (Hope I am not asking for too much .. ?
:)

> I found the High - Zoom cameras within my range and promising:
>
> 1. Panasonic Lumix FZ15 (FZ20 is better, but $100 more - for an extra
MP
> (5 instead of 4) and hot shoe for flash. This is a bit too high for
me .. )

> 2. Canon S1 IS
> 3. Someone mentioned Olympus 756 UZ - havent looked at it too much
> 4. Konica Minolta Z3 - But seems 1 and 2 above are better
>
> Any inputs on which should be the best choice for me, providing
enough
> to experiment and be extensible. Please let me know of any other
cameras
> you think fit the bill for me!
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Abhinav
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:28:08 PM

Abhinav,

Here are some FZ15 pics from my holiday trip to New York. Keep in mind
that they are all reducced to a maximum of 800x600 which is around 20%
of the original size of the picture. I purchased this camera for the
same reasons as you and am enjoying it very much so far.

http://community.webshots.com/album/243940234CAiPgq

Regards,
Paiasoloco
January 4, 2005 8:51:32 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:28:07 +0530, Abhinav Modi
<ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:

>Having traversed the archives of dpreview.com et al, I finally think I
>am close to selecting a camera for myself.
>
>I am looking for a digital camera which will help me start into the
>world of amateur and hobbyist photography - and, (isnt this obvious ;) )
>I am on a tight budget (around USD $ 400). The camera should provide
>manual controls to play around with, and have a bit of flexibility in
>adding lenses, etc later. (Hope I am not asking for too much .. ? :)
>
>I found the High - Zoom cameras within my range and promising:
>
>1. Panasonic Lumix FZ15 (FZ20 is better, but $100 more - for an extra MP
>(5 instead of 4) and hot shoe for flash. This is a bit too high for me .. )
>
>2. Canon S1 IS
>3. Someone mentioned Olympus 756 UZ - havent looked at it too much
>4. Konica Minolta Z3 - But seems 1 and 2 above are better
>
>Any inputs on which should be the best choice for me, providing enough
>to experiment and be extensible. Please let me know of any other cameras
>you think fit the bill for me!

Abhinav,

the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 could be interesting, because it is
not only cheaper, but also smaller, but still has essentially
the same Leica lens as the FZ15, 1:2.8 aperture throughout the
12x zoom range.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:lqhlt09fqronkv2fa266ggf6o1ipbnv3qn@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:28:07 +0530, Abhinav Modi
> <ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Having traversed the archives of dpreview.com et al, I finally think I
>>am close to selecting a camera for myself.
>>
>>I am looking for a digital camera which will help me start into the
>>world of amateur and hobbyist photography - and, (isnt this obvious ;) )
>>I am on a tight budget (around USD $ 400). The camera should provide
>>manual controls to play around with, and have a bit of flexibility in
>>adding lenses, etc later. (Hope I am not asking for too much .. ? :)
>>
>>I found the High - Zoom cameras within my range and promising:
>>
>>1. Panasonic Lumix FZ15 (FZ20 is better, but $100 more - for an extra MP
>>(5 instead of 4) and hot shoe for flash. This is a bit too high for me
>>.. )
>>
>>2. Canon S1 IS
>>3. Someone mentioned Olympus 756 UZ - havent looked at it too much
>>4. Konica Minolta Z3 - But seems 1 and 2 above are better
>>
>>Any inputs on which should be the best choice for me, providing enough
>>to experiment and be extensible. Please let me know of any other cameras
>>you think fit the bill for me!
>
> Abhinav,
>
> the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 could be interesting, because it is
> not only cheaper, but also smaller, but still has essentially
> the same Leica lens as the FZ15, 1:2.8 aperture throughout the
> 12x zoom range.

and has sound, the FZ15 no.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:26:11 PM

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:28:07 +0530, Abhinav Modi
> <ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Having traversed the archives of dpreview.com et al, I finally think I
>>am close to selecting a camera for myself.
>>
>>I am looking for a digital camera which will help me start into the
>>world of amateur and hobbyist photography - and, (isnt this obvious ;) )
>>I am on a tight budget (around USD $ 400). The camera should provide
>>manual controls to play around with, and have a bit of flexibility in
>>adding lenses, etc later. (Hope I am not asking for too much .. ? :)
>>
>>I found the High - Zoom cameras within my range and promising:
>>
>>1. Panasonic Lumix FZ15 (FZ20 is better, but $100 more - for an extra MP
>>(5 instead of 4) and hot shoe for flash. This is a bit too high for me .. )
>>
>>2. Canon S1 IS
>>3. Someone mentioned Olympus 756 UZ - havent looked at it too much
>>4. Konica Minolta Z3 - But seems 1 and 2 above are better
>>
>>Any inputs on which should be the best choice for me, providing enough
>>to experiment and be extensible. Please let me know of any other cameras
>>you think fit the bill for me!
>

> Abhinav,
>
> the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 could be interesting, because it is
> not only cheaper, but also smaller, but still has essentially
> the same Leica lens as the FZ15, 1:2.8 aperture throughout the
> 12x zoom range.

Hans,

I was also thinking of FZ3 (budget, again .. ). Will the lack of manual
controls as compared to FZ15 be a problem ?

I could save a cool $100 or so b/w the two - and am already swaying
between $250 (Canon A75), $350 (FZ3) and $450 (FZ15) ..

Thanks
Abhinav
> Hans-Georg

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:26:12 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:26:11 +0530, Abhinav Modi
<ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was also thinking of FZ3 (budget, again .. ). Will the lack of manual
>controls as compared to FZ15 be a problem ?

Abhinav,

what manual control do you desire that the FZ3 does not have?

I currently use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2, which has even
fewer manual settings, but I don't miss them, although I am an
ambitious amateur photographer (regularly using a polarizing
filter, for example, and not infrequently modifying the exposure
manually).

But the cases in which I need, for example, aperture or exposure
time priority, are exceedingly rare.

On the sidelines, let me append something I wrote recently in
another thread.

Hans-Georg

I have owned a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2 for two years now and
am quite content with it, even though it has only 2 Megapixels.

The camera has many strong points, and I will probably keep it
for another year or two. Let me just dwell unfairly on its
problems.

* The camera is very weak when it comes to low light, mostly
because it cannot focus, but also because of noise. I hear that
the FZ3 has a focus assist light, so that problem may be more or
less solved.

* I wish the camera had an articulated (swivelling) viewfinder,
which would increase its utility for me tremendously.

* The viewfinder is sometimes too dark to see anything on it.
There's something strange in the design that I don't fully
understand, but the brightness of the viewfinder is sometimes
peculiar.

* Video performance is poor at 320 x 240 and 15 frames/s. I wish
for 640 x 480 at 30/s, like the Canon camera. But then I don't
shoot videos often, and when I do, I want to put them on the
web, so this doesn't really matter for me.

But that's about it. The lens could be better in terms of
chromatic aberration, but I have yet to find a comparable
super-zoom that's better. The Canon Powershot S1 IS is certainly
not better in this respect, for example, but that's only a 10x
zoom. Perhaps it can't be done better in offordable glass
optics.

Hope I didn't forget anything.

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:26:11 +0530, Abhinav Modi
> <ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I was also thinking of FZ3 (budget, again .. ). Will the lack of manual
>>controls as compared to FZ15 be a problem ?
>

> Abhinav,
>
> what manual control do you desire that the FZ3 does not have?

Hans,

I must mention that this is my first digital camera - so when I said the
above, it was on the basis of reviews online. Basically, on dpreview,
the FZ3 entry for manual control/focus is set to "No" IIRC.

From what I gathered, this meant that FZ3 - while having the same
lens/zoom/IS features - was more point and shoot, than FZ15/FZ20 - both
of which have "manual controls".

Also, I will not be in a position to actually inspect the camera(s) -
being in India, I will probably ask some relative in US/Singapore to get
it for me. Since this leaves no room for on the spot decision making, I
am looking for more info than probably would have been required if I
could look at the models beforehand.

> I currently use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1-2, which has even
> fewer manual settings, but I don't miss them, although I am an
> ambitious amateur photographer (regularly using a polarizing
> filter, for example, and not infrequently modifying the exposure
> manually).
>
> But the cases in which I need, for example, aperture or exposure
> time priority, are exceedingly rare.

Thanks for the info. This (and the rest of your post below )puts things
in a much better perspective. It is basically a question of high much I
am willing to spend, and I am having the natural tendency of wanting the
best of all worlds - I want the features of the FZ20 at the price of the
FZ3 :)

Thanks again :)
Abhinav
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:10:01 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:10:00 +0530, Abhinav Modi
<ModiAbhinav@gmail.com> wrote:

>I must mention that this is my first digital camera - so when I said the
>above, it was on the basis of reviews online. Basically, on dpreview,
>the FZ3 entry for manual control/focus is set to "No" IIRC.
>
> From what I gathered, this meant that FZ3 - while having the same
>lens/zoom/IS features - was more point and shoot, than FZ15/FZ20 - both
>of which have "manual controls".

Abhinav,

I'm almost certain that the FZ3 has far more manual settings
than you ever want or need. I wouldn't worry about this at all.

The only point may be that some other cameras may have manual
focus, which, I think, the FZ3 has not. I personally don't see
any need for manual focus, as you can always point at something
suitable at the desired distance and press the shutter half way
to autofocus, then shift the camera to your ultimate target and
shoot. Normally the camera will autofocus directly on your
target, but if it doesn't, for example, bevause the target has
no vertical texture, then you can use this method.

But that's really the only point I could think of, that could
play any role.

In practice you'll probably worry about quite different things.
The bad thing is that you'll notice any real problems you may
have only after weeks of using the device. That's generally the
crux of today's technical products.

Go for it, buy the camera you seem to like most. Your decision
will not be perfect anyway.

The other thing that comes to mind and that prevents my buying
of an FZ10, FZ15, or FZ20, is their size. The FZ3 is a lot
smaller. That's why I still stick to my FZ1-2. The only
alternative I know at this size is the Canon Powershot S1 IS,
which again has its strengths and weaknesses.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
!