Sign in with
Your question

Stability issues?

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2010 9:03:20 AM

I'll try to keep this brief. I think I may stability issues, but I'm not really even overclocking. I started seeing
issues when I installed an additional 6gb of ram into my system. At first I thought maybe a few sticks had arrived DOA, but found that with the proper settings I could get the BIOS to see all 12gb of ram (though on some boot ups I still only get 10gb.)

I think my PSU may be to blame here. Not that it is bad, just that I think I cheaped out on wattage, but would like a more experienced opinion. Also, I do plan to do some overclocking with my setup, and if these really are stability issues off that bat just by inserting an additional 6gb of ram, I can't imagine it will become stable increasing frequencies and voltages.

Here's my setup:

CPU: i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz
Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: OCZ Gold Low Voltage 12 GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 285
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: x2 Kingston V Series 64gb
Optical: LG Blu Ray
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

So, is it likely my 550W is just not enough for such a setup, or do I just need to get back into the BIOS and tweak a little further? Would upgrading to a 750 or 800W PSU be a good investment/help my problem? Thanks for any guidance.

More about : stability issues

a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2010 9:15:06 AM

Make sure your BIOS is up to date. Even if your board says that it supports that amount of RAM it may require a BIOS update to support that particular RAM in that amount.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 18, 2010 9:32:45 AM

Just as a double-check, have you ran memtest on all the sticks?
are all the sticks specs identical? voltage etc?
as a guide I would say look at a better psu anyway, but check all your ram with either memtest or by trying to boot with each stick seperately (quickest/best method imo)
reset any overclocking you've done
and as Wam said, scour your Mobo manf's webby for bios updates on your plate.
you can re-clock the system after you get it stable with the new ram
hope this helps
Moto
m
l
!