Stability issues?

I'll try to keep this brief. I think I may stability issues, but I'm not really even overclocking. I started seeing
issues when I installed an additional 6gb of ram into my system. At first I thought maybe a few sticks had arrived DOA, but found that with the proper settings I could get the BIOS to see all 12gb of ram (though on some boot ups I still only get 10gb.)

I think my PSU may be to blame here. Not that it is bad, just that I think I cheaped out on wattage, but would like a more experienced opinion. Also, I do plan to do some overclocking with my setup, and if these really are stability issues off that bat just by inserting an additional 6gb of ram, I can't imagine it will become stable increasing frequencies and voltages.

Here's my setup:

CPU: i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz
Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: OCZ Gold Low Voltage 12 GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 285
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: x2 Kingston V Series 64gb
Optical: LG Blu Ray
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

So, is it likely my 550W is just not enough for such a setup, or do I just need to get back into the BIOS and tweak a little further? Would upgrading to a 750 or 800W PSU be a good investment/help my problem? Thanks for any guidance.
2 answers Last reply
More about stability issues
  1. Make sure your BIOS is up to date. Even if your board says that it supports that amount of RAM it may require a BIOS update to support that particular RAM in that amount.
  2. Just as a double-check, have you ran memtest on all the sticks?
    are all the sticks specs identical? voltage etc?
    as a guide I would say look at a better psu anyway, but check all your ram with either memtest or by trying to boot with each stick seperately (quickest/best method imo)
    reset any overclocking you've done
    and as Wam said, scour your Mobo manf's webby for bios updates on your plate.
    you can re-clock the system after you get it stable with the new ram
    hope this helps
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Overclocking Systems