Sign in with
Your question

ATI 5850 CrossFireX or single 5870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:14:42 PM

So which one is the best option to consider buying? I currently have a 4850 X2 & it seems a bit of a bottleneck for my system (i'm a video editor/gamer) :bounce: 

Thanks,

Mandeep
a c 125 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:29:11 PM

One HD5850 will equal your HD4850X2, So getting 2 x HD5850's will give you about 75% more performance than you have now. A single HD5870 will only give you about 20% more performance than your HD4850X2 but is obviously cheaper than 2 X HD5850's.
a c 177 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:30:12 PM

I'd go for one HD5850 for now and see how it goes, that card can handle almost everything out there at 1080 resolution maxed out at good framerates.
If one is not enough then you can CF later-or if it is enough, leave the option open for a future upgrade, either way it should be a worthwhile purchase.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:31:05 PM

dual 5850's hands down but your CPU at stock clocks is going to cause a slight bottleneck.
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:33:32 PM

coozie7 said:
I'd go for one HD5850 for now and see how it goes, that card can handle almost everything out there at 1080 resolution maxed out at good framerates.
If one is not enough then you can CF later-or if it is enough, leave the option open for a future upgrade, either way it should be a worthwhile purchase.

Hmm.. that's useful, thanks
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:34:11 PM

Rustyy117 said:
One HD5850 will equal your HD4850X2, So getting 2 x HD5850's will give you about 75% more performance than you have now. A single HD5870 will only give you about 20% more performance than your HD4850X2 but is obviously cheaper than 2 X HD5850's.

:o  that's usefull thanks :D 
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:34:34 PM

OvrClkr said:
dual 5850's hands down but your CPU at stock clocks is going to cause a slight bottleneck.

Yah, I want to OC it but I iz n00b @ overclock :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:38:44 PM

Anonymous said:
Yah, I want to OC it but I iz n00b @ overclock :pt1cable: 

its fairly easy, first test your system with the new card and then you can come back here for your OC'ing needs =)
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:46:56 PM

OvrClkr said:
its fairly easy, first test your system with the new card and then you can come back here for your OC'ing needs =)

I haven't got duh new card yet. But I want to overclock my i7 nao!! :bounce: 

I want to get it to 3.46GHz with the cooling I have :bounce: 
a c 177 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:49:49 PM

@ZeroPain: Mr T says: GO TO THE OVERCLOCKING FORUM, FOOL! POST THERE, CRAZY MAN AND STOP YOUR JIBBA-JABBA!
a c 125 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:52:26 PM

You should be able to get to 3.4 Ghz on stock voltage, thereby not increasing the heat load that much... Still risky on stock cooling though. Why not create a new thread in the "Overclocking" section of the forum for help on overclocking your Core i7 920.

@Mods why isn't there a Core i7 9xx Overclocking guide? (unless I missed it LOL)
a c 125 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:53:15 PM

coozie7 said:
@ZeroPain: Mr T says: GO TO THE OVERCLOCKING FORUM, FOOL! POST THERE, CRAZY MAN AND STOP YOUR JIBBA-JABBA!

:lol:  Hahaha Love it. :) 
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:56:37 PM

I was just talking about my fun plans on OC! i know i have to do duh overclocking forum to tall about making duh beast m0re beast!! :D 
a c 177 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:56:51 PM

To Omgitzfatal: Sorry, too drunk to resist ;) 
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 7:57:27 PM

goto*

talk*

( sigh, i can't edit my posts for some reason )
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 7:59:56 PM

Rustyy117 said:

@Mods why isn't there a Core i7 9xx Overclocking guide? (unless I missed it LOL)

From what I notice over there, there is always some contention on what is a good guide ?
Theres always a post from a upset regular how this or that is missing from guide A. Or that isn't explained, and this top secret knowledge should be kept from noobs , so they can't hurt themselves. :) 
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 8:03:32 PM

notty22 said:
From what I notice over there, there is always some contention on what is a good guide ?
Theres always a post from a upset regular how this or that is missing from guide A. Or that isn't explained, and this top secret knowledge should be kept from noobs , so they can't hurt themselves. :)  http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/tongue.gif

MAI CPU AND MOBO WILL DO DUH DEATH NAO! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 8:04:55 PM

oops, sorry.. i'm a little drunk!
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 8:05:45 PM

Anonymous said:
I haven't got duh new card yet. But I want to overclock my i7 nao!! :bounce: 

I want to get it to 3.46GHz with the cooling I have :bounce: 

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...

take your time reading, if you hit a wall or have any questions just open up a thread in the "overclocking" section.
a c 125 U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 8:06:31 PM

notty22 said:
Theres always a post from a upset regular how this or that is missing from guide A. Or that isn't explained, and this top secret knowledge should be kept from noobs , so they can't hurt themselves. :)  http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/tongue.gif

There should be one, I think it would help alot of people out and if a regular whats something added then a mod or the person who created the guide should consider adding it. Just seems odd that we have a guide for most other popular CPU's but not for the Core i7 9xx.
Anonymous
August 9, 2010 8:50:43 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I'll check out that link when maintenance is finished.. :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 8:55:25 PM

Rustyy117 said:
There should be one, I think it would help alot of people out and if a regular whats something added then a mod or the person who created the guide should consider adding it. Just seems odd that we have a guide for most other popular CPU's but not for the Core i7 9xx.

well we had one but it was removed :( 

for now we will have to google the guide until someone wants to add one to the list in the OC'ing section.
!