Sign in with
Your question
Closed

On and off switch outlet

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2010 2:41:06 AM

my computer is hooked up to a light switch that can be turned off and on. so every time im done with the computer i shutdown. then flip the power switch off. can doing that repeatedly over time damage your computer powersupply? or anything?

More about : switch outlet

Best solution

December 11, 2010 3:10:47 AM

Switched mode power supplies don’t like being turned on and off repeatedly but a good quality supply should be OK Why are you asking this question as turning off the computer at the supply after you have shut down is normal use and should not cause any problems? The alternative of leaving the computer powered up all the time after you have shut down will cause the power supply to have a shorter life and cost more in electricity.
December 11, 2010 5:57:53 AM

pjmelect said:
Switched mode power supplies don’t like being turned on and off repeatedly but a good quality supply should be OK Why are you asking this question as turning off the computer at the supply after you have shut down is normal use and should not cause any problems? The alternative of leaving the computer powered up all the time after you have shut down will cause the power supply to have a shorter life and cost more in electricity.

oh because when i turn off the computer there is a green light on the back of the power suplly meaning power is flowing. so i turn of the light switch which to completely shut the power off. wil that reslut in a shorter power supply life?
Score
Related resources
December 11, 2010 6:15:11 AM

Read the last line of the previous posters message more thoroughly :p 
'The alternative of leaving the computer powered up all the time after you have shut down will cause the power supply to have a shorter life and cost more in electricity.'
turning the psu completely off (as long as you shut windows etc down properly)
will give you a longer life for your psu
Moto

Score
December 11, 2010 12:28:30 PM

I don't know about that. That's how the PSU's are designed to be used. My computers each pull about 1 watt when powered down (PSU switch on) as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter.

And two of my systems run 24/7 except when I am on vacation.
Score
January 21, 2012 5:24:49 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
January 21, 2012 5:24:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!