Processor's Wattage over Max TDP

G

Hello, all. This is my first post in regards to asking for computer help. Hopefully, somebody can give me a useful answer.

Over the summer, my friend and I built a computer. I use the computer for a lot of gaming, so it has a Sapphire vapor-x Radeon HD 5770 video card and an Intel Core i5 750 processor in it.

As a lot of readers may be aware, many who buy Radeon HD 5000 series cards are met with a display driver issue that has been about since the days of Vista. Unfortunately, I was met with such trouble. I basically tried every possible "fix" that Google could bring up, but nothing came remotely close to making the driver crashes stop. I even RMA'd the card TWICE, but this third card has not been successful either.

After months of searching for a solution, I decided to run CPUID Hardware Monitor as I played my games (where all of my crashes occur) to keep track of temps, fan speeds, etc. After looking at voltages and GPU temps for some time and finding nothing wrong, I researched my CPU's temps. I was astonished to find that the CPU would peak at 60 degrees C as I played, a temperature I knew was well beyond what it should be with the game I was playing (Minecraft, for anybody curious). Thinking the problem could be cooling, I kept a room fan blowing at my tower at max setting as I played, but this didn't really fix anything.

Continuing my study of the HWMonitor, I noticed that the processor's wattage would reach 109.03 W quite often; I decided to look up my i5's max TDP. It turns out that the max TDP is supposed to be 95 W. After some more research, I found that a processor that exceeds its max TDP generally suffers from system failures (which occur frequently during my gameplay as well) and attempts to cool itself down.

At this point, I put the pieces together in my head: the wattage on my processor would get too high during gameplay; to resolve this, my CPU would freeze everything (including the display drivers), and when it reached a more suitable stability, it would recover (causing the "Display driver 'AMD Driver' stopped responding and has successfully recovered" message).

Regardless of whether or not I'm right, I know that the wattage on my processor shouldn't be so high. Is there any way for me to fix this wattage issue (and potentially my display driver issue)?

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Dropping the voltage to the CPU in the bios would decrease power used(This would likely mean dropping the frequency as well, which also would decrease power use)

But I wouldn't trust HW monitor for a voltage, let alone a power reading.

Edit: Have you tried re-applying thermal paste?

G

I've undervolted the CPU to the bare minimum that the BIOS will let me, and this delays the imminent crash and ~109.03 W. However, they still occur; and I'm already noticing how much slower my CPU is now. Is there any other way to lower the power consumption?

I already set my power options to "Power Saver."

G

Forget the 60C. It went away when I set my computer to Power Saver.

I know now that the crashes occur when the wattage randomly spikes to ~109.03 W. I watch HWMonitor as I play and as it jumps up from ~35 W to the 109 W, the crash occurs.

Is there any sort of reason why the wattage would randomly spike as such?